Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

tv loft signal booster cabled power

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

tv loft signal booster cabled power

Postby jackdaww » August 7th, 2022, 9:50 am

i want a booster to be installed near the aeriel in the loft which will run off my humax pvr antenna power 5volts via the coax cable .

DAK if this exists please ?

:)

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: tv loft signal booster cabled power

Postby mc2fool » August 7th, 2022, 11:25 am

Well it only took me a single search ("signal booster 5v coax") and then a click to find out that, yes, it does exist. Whether it's any good is another matter....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AMPLIFIER-Booster-Freeview-Aerials-Unispectra%C2%AE/dp/B019E32DYO

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » August 7th, 2022, 12:54 pm

mc2fool wrote:Well it only took me a single search ("signal booster 5v coax") and then a click to find out that, yes, it does exist. Whether it's any good is another matter....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AMPLIFIER-Booster-Freeview-Aerials-Unispectra%C2%AE/dp/B019E32DYO

=========================

thanks !

i did a load of seraches with many keywords except 5v coax ..

:)

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » August 7th, 2022, 1:17 pm

mc2fool wrote:Well it only took me a single search ("signal booster 5v coax") and then a click to find out that, yes, it does exist.

A loft booster is said to be better than one at the TV end of the coax, but I find one of those sufficient for my needs.

One little mentioned benefit of a booster, even if you have a reasonable signal, is protection against lightning strikes. Even a near miss can fry the FET in the input stage of your tuner, but if you have a booster that gets fried instead. It's far cheaper to replace a booster than your TV after lightning kills it. In the past 10 years I've had three that sacrificed themselves to protect my TV ;)

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » August 7th, 2022, 1:32 pm

Breelander wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Well it only took me a single search ("signal booster 5v coax") and then a click to find out that, yes, it does exist.

A loft booster is said to be better than one at the TV end of the coax, but I find one of those sufficient for my needs.

One little mentioned benefit of a booster, even if you have a reasonable signal, is protection against lightning strikes. Even a near miss can fry the FET in the input stage of your tuner, but if you have a booster that gets fried instead. It's far cheaper to replace a booster than your TV after lightning kills it. In the past 10 years I've had three that sacrificed themselves to protect my TV ;)

Seems a bit unlikely your antenna got hit by lightning three times (unless you live at the top of a hill). More likely, I'd suggest, the booster was badly designed. Some of them have a tendency to overheat.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » August 7th, 2022, 3:09 pm

MrFoolish wrote:Seems a bit unlikely your antenna got hit by lightning three times (unless you live at the top of a hill). More likely, I'd suggest, the booster was badly designed. Some of them have a tendency to overheat.

My antenna is in the loft, so can never be hit. But I do live near the top of a hill. And you don't need a direct hit to get a high voltage spike.

No, it's not overheating, the TV loosing all signal immediately after a thunder clap overhead is confirmation enough that the lightning was to blame. It is a known risk.

Sony wrote:When lightning strikes around the area generate voltage, we call it an indirect stroke. These abnormal voltages and electric currents may be transmitted to the TV through an outlet or antenna wire and destroy the inside of the TV....

When lightning strikes are predicted...
... Disconnect all the cables connected outside of the TV, such as the antenna cable, HDMI cable, and LAN cable.
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/supp ... s/00173826

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » August 7th, 2022, 5:03 pm

Breelander wrote:No, it's not overheating, the TV loosing all signal immediately after a thunder clap overhead is confirmation enough that the lightning was to blame. It is a known risk.

OK, seems pretty clear it was lightning related then. I know it can happen - but 3 times in 10 years seems rather unlucky! I've never had a TV get damaged during a thunderstorm. Out of interest, was it the same make of booster each time?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » August 7th, 2022, 7:01 pm

MrFoolish wrote:OK, seems pretty clear it was lightning related then. I know it can happen - but 3 times in 10 years seems rather unlucky! I've never had a TV get damaged during a thunderstorm. Out of interest, was it the same make of booster each time?

We once had a lightning strike to an overhead supply cable at the end of our road. The jolt knocked out four televisions, two computers and a bunch of peripherals, including printers. The house it hit had a sizeable hole in the roof. The insurance companies paid for everything.

About thirty years ago, I had a computer and a printer wrecked by a surge in the mains supply. (The printer actually caught fire!) The insurance assessor said that in rural areas it was usually grain drying equipment that spiked the voltage. But that fairground equipment could also do the same thing in towns. The highest voltage he'd ever recorded in the centre of Bath was just over 500 volts. For a millisecond or two, I suppose, but more than capable of frying your electronics. He paid up, anyway. :)

BJ

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » August 7th, 2022, 7:55 pm

bungeejumper wrote:About thirty years ago, I had a computer and a printer wrecked by a surge in the mains supply. (The printer actually caught fire!) The insurance assessor said that in rural areas it was usually grain drying equipment that spiked the voltage. But that fairground equipment could also do the same thing in towns. The highest voltage he'd ever recorded in the centre of Bath was just over 500 volts. For a millisecond or two, I suppose, but more than capable of frying your electronics. He paid up, anyway. :)

BJ

I wonder how an insurance assessor would get access to such information?

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » August 7th, 2022, 8:02 pm

MrFoolish wrote:... but 3 times in 10 years seems rather unlucky! I've never had a TV get damaged during a thunderstorm.

No, most people don't - but it can happen to anyone it the lightning strikes near enough. I perhaps get more than my fair share, living near the top of a hill.

Out of interest, was it the same make of booster each time?

No, different brand each time. The common factor is that all UHF amplifiers or tuners use an FET transistor as the first stage, and it is this that's vulnerable to electrostatic discharge (ESD). All such FETs are designed to include a protection diode that will take the voltage spike and shunt it away from the FET's junction. Trouble is that a first strike may blow this diode, should another ESD occur then it's the transistor itself that blows.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » August 8th, 2022, 12:09 pm

MrFoolish wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:About thirty years ago, I had a computer and a printer wrecked by a surge in the mains supply. (The printer actually caught fire!) The insurance assessor said that in rural areas it was usually grain drying equipment that spiked the voltage.

I wonder how an insurance assessor would get access to such information?

Excellent question! Caffeine deficiency, my bad :| , it was the man from Southern Electric, who came round to inspect and signed off the docket that the insurance company wanted.

BJ

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”