Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Mobile Performance degradation

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
the0ni0nking
Lemon Slice

Mobile Performance degradation

Postby the0ni0nking » March 28th, 2024, 5:37 am

I own a Samsung Galaxy M13 (checking my Amazon purchase history I bought it in May 2023).

Everything about it has been fine/good up until about a week ago.

Now, the speed with which it seems to process everything is awful. It’s taking me back to the days of a 56kb modem in terms of internet responsiveness but also just on the other apps I have such as banking or fitness it’s on the verge of unacceptably slow.

It hasn’t updated the OS in the last couple of weeks so wonder if any more technologically minded people have any solutions I can try?

I object to binning it off and replacing it after just 9 months or so when my work phone (iPhone) is still as responsive as ever many years after it first joined this earth.

jaizan
Lemon Slice

Re: Mobile Performance degradation

Postby jaizan » March 28th, 2024, 6:53 am

the0ni0nking wrote:I own a Samsung Galaxy M13 (checking my Amazon purchase history I bought it in May 2023)

I'd try to resolve the problem quickly and if that fails, make a claim under the guarantee. And don't stand for any excuses from them.

Also check forums like Android Central. That has a few trolls, but sometimes has useful information.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » March 28th, 2024, 6:59 am

No experience of the model, but a quick search and https://tech2rise.com/common-problems-i ... alaxy-m13/

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » March 28th, 2024, 7:24 am

the0ni0nking wrote:I own a Samsung Galaxy M13 (checking my Amazon purchase history I bought it in May 2023).

Now, the speed with which it seems to process everything is awful. It’s taking me back to the days of a 56kb modem in terms of internet responsiveness but also just on the other apps I have such as banking or fitness it’s on the verge of unacceptably slow.

It hasn’t updated the OS in the last couple of weeks so wonder if any more technologically minded people have any solutions I can try?

It sounds like there may be some background task eating up all the resources. A common culprit is the anti-virus app.

So, first thing to do is to find out what's running. Swipe up and look to see what apps you've got active, and kill off anything you don't like the look of, and also swipe down to see what "Silent" notifications you may have that indicate background apps.

You can also check what background services are running, for which you have to enable Developer Options to do so. See https://fossbytes.com/running-services-in-android-developer-options-how-to-check-apps-running-in-background/

Of course, you could also just try a total power-off shutdown power-up restart to see if that clears the problem, although that won't tell you where the problem laid.... ;)

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » March 28th, 2024, 7:37 am

If you end up having to reset it there's generally two levels - a soft reset and a hard factory reset which will completely wipe the phone back to an as new state. Try the soft first - if available - and see how it responds.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » March 28th, 2024, 5:54 pm

the0ni0nking wrote:I own a Samsung Galaxy M13 (checking my Amazon purchase history I bought it in May 2023).

What connection are you using, 3G or 4G? If it's set to use 3G then that could explain it. If your phone was set to use 3G, then it would fall back to using 2G after the switch off. Make sure it's set up to use 4G. All the major networks are turning off their 3G, Vodafone switched off the last of their 3G on 7th March, the others are in the process of doing so.
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecom ... switch-off.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”