Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

WiFi Calling.

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: WiFi Calling.

Postby Infrasonic » December 13th, 2021, 1:55 pm

BullDog wrote:
didds wrote:
sg31 wrote:
Now Broadband 67Mb/s, Anytime calls, 12 months contract, UK call centre for £21.

Talk Talk, 36Mb/s, Anytime calls, 18 month contract, Indian call centre. £34

possible derail...

in my limited understanding etc ...

how can NB offer almost twice the speed connection than TT, given the infrastraucture is presumably the same Openreach provisions to your house/flat etc ?

didds

Openreach network is capable of the higher speed, I have it right here. In this case, it would seem TT aren't offering it, or perhaps they do so at a higher price point.

Yep - also many ISP's are now splitting their providers, e.g Vodafone use Openreach and City Fibre (FTTP) in certain locations. TT are doing the same I think - makes sense from a contract negotiating position.

Prices for new accounts are often loss leaders too, they don't stay at that price forever.
Hyperoptic were offering 1Gb symmetric FTTP a while ago for new accounts at a silly low price for the first year - my managing agents are still dragging their feet with way rights though so the fibre is in the street outside but not to my flat yet...grrr...

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 13th, 2021, 4:09 pm

didds wrote:
sg31 wrote:
Now Broadband 67Mb/s, Anytime calls, 12 months contract, UK call centre for £21.

Talk Talk, 36Mb/s, Anytime calls, 18 month contract, Indian call centre. £34

possible derail...

in my limited understanding etc ...

how can NB offer almost twice the speed connection than TT, given the infrastraucture is presumably the same Openreach provisions to your house/flat etc ?

didds

TalkTalk are offering 35Mb, 65Mb, 150Mb, 250Mb, 500Mb and 1Gb fibre options, although not all may be available at your premises of course.

Never contract with TT for the headline price, always contact their "loyalty" team, grizzle about the cost, talk about cancelling and negotiate. If you're signing up for the first time do the same. Last couple of renewals I've done it by chat and just a few weeks ago got 35Mb fibre + free TV (£4 charge waived) for £21 for 18 months.

As a starting point you might like to know that they're offering 35Mb fibre to new customers for £23pm for 18 months. They are sneaky barstewards though, in that if they detect that you are an already existing customer they give you a different website to new customers -- can't have existing customers seeing the deals new customers are being offered, eh? :shock:

Go to https://www.talktalk.co.uk/ and clear all site related cookies and then go to https://new.talktalk.co.uk/ (if you try the latter first it will bung you to the former).

Having said all that, the Now Broadband deal looks good. ;) The questions I'd be asking are what happens at the end of the 12 months, i.e. how much does it go up to, and how easy will it be to negotiate with them for a reasonably priced renewal?

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » December 13th, 2021, 4:53 pm

"* The monthly price of Fast Broadband, Fibre 35 and Fibre 65 broadband will rise in April each year by the rate of inflation plus 3.7%, from 2022. Please visit talktalk.co.uk/legal for more information." Is that going to be the same with the one you're discussing?

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 13th, 2021, 5:20 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:"* The monthly price of Fast Broadband, Fibre 35 and Fibre 65 broadband will rise in April each year by the rate of inflation plus 3.7%, from 2022. Please visit talktalk.co.uk/legal for more information." Is that going to be the same with the one you're discussing?

If you're referring to my negotiated £21pm deal, yes, that pretty much applies to all of them (although I believe the higher cost packages include a no-April-increase condition).

Ofcom has decided to allow mid-contract price increases of up to CPI +3.9% and lots of BB providers have taken advantage. BT's offerings go up by CPI +3.9% (the max allowed), whereas Plusnet's just go up by CPI. And it's not just BB, mobile providers and TV package providers are now allowed to do the same.

It does make comparing deals even more problematic....

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-10204591/CPI-linked-bills-broadband-mobiles-TV-packages-pricier-March-2022.html

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/annual-price-changes-and-cpi
https://www.plus.net/help/legal/our-guide-to-price-increase-for-home-broadband/

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » December 13th, 2021, 5:41 pm

mc2fool wrote:
TalkTalk are offering 35Mb, 65Mb, 150Mb, 250Mb, 500Mb and 1Gb fibre options, although not all may be available at your premises of course.

Never contract with TT for the headline price, always contact their "loyalty" team, grizzle about the cost, talk about cancelling and negotiate. If you're signing up for the first time do the same. Last couple of renewals I've done it by chat and just a few weeks ago got 35Mb fibre + free TV (£4 charge waived) for £21 for 18 months.

As a starting point you might like to know that they're offering 35Mb fibre to new customers for £23pm for 18 months. They are sneaky barstewards though, in that if they detect that you are an already existing customer they give you a different website to new customers -- can't have existing customers seeing the deals new customers are being offered, eh? :shock:

Go to https://www.talktalk.co.uk/ and clear all site related cookies and then go to https://new.talktalk.co.uk/ (if you try the latter first it will bung you to the former).

Having said all that, the Now Broadband deal looks good. ;) The questions I'd be asking are what happens at the end of the 12 months, i.e. how much does it go up to, and how easy will it be to negotiate with them for a reasonably priced renewal?

I've always been with Talk Talk since I first got the internet which must be over 20 years ago. They always ask for a lot at renewal and negotiate down when I contact them, not this time, best they would do was a couple of pounds off. Last year they competed by reducing the charge for the anytime calls dramatically and a month later they announced a price increase on anytime calls. They really annoyed me by applying the increase to the reduced price we had negotiated, they wouldn't budge. I can't remember the exact figures but at the time I was furious.

Now I've told Now to take over the service I fully expect TT to come back and negotiate. I'm not inclined to accept anything more than the Now price.

I am a bit deaf and find it difficult to understand some of the Indian staff at the call centre, they are very helpful but it does get tedious asking them to repeat things.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » December 13th, 2021, 11:18 pm

mc2fool wrote:Never contract with TT for the headline price, always contact their "loyalty" team, grizzle about the cost, talk about cancelling and negotiate. If you're signing up for the first time do the same.

I’d say that is true of ALL broadband providers. Call centre staff, and especially the retentions people, seem to have a huge latitude about the price they charge you. Just make it clear you want to negotiate “what can you offer me?” and you’ll peak their interest.

Gryff

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » December 13th, 2021, 11:30 pm

My phone provider, 1pmobile announced they did wifi calling, my phone had the option, but after I enabled it worked (well the top bar icon changed once or twice, but I'm back with a "phone with a G" icon, and it won't switch now.

If they charge anyway, I'm not that bothered. but as I've just dropped free landline calls, it might be handy for hanging on with call centres

John

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » December 14th, 2021, 11:49 am

JohnB wrote:My phone provider, 1pmobile announced they did wifi calling, my phone had the option, but after I enabled it worked (well the top bar icon changed once or twice, but I'm back with a "phone with a G" icon, and it won't switch now.

If they charge anyway, I'm not that bothered. but as I've just dropped free landline calls, it might be handy for hanging on with call centres

John

I think you misunderstood what WiFi calling does, and more importantly, what it costs.

WiFi calling connects your phone to WiFi to make or receive the call, but the call costs the same as if you were connected directly to the mobile network.

It is different to VOIP which could also be run from your phone and connected to WIFi where the cost might be free with some VOIP suppliers.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 14th, 2021, 2:27 pm

sg31 wrote:I've always been with Talk Talk since I first got the internet which must be over 20 years ago. They always ask for a lot at renewal and negotiate down when I contact them, not this time, best they would do was a couple of pounds off. Last year they competed by reducing the charge for the anytime calls dramatically and a month later they announced a price increase on anytime calls. They really annoyed me by applying the increase to the reduced price we had negotiated, they wouldn't budge. I can't remember the exact figures but at the time I was furious.

Now I've told Now to take over the service I fully expect TT to come back and negotiate. I'm not inclined to accept anything more than the Now price.

In my experience the difficulty of the negotiations varies from year to year (well, renewal to renewal). The time before last it was really easy, getting an offer of £19.95 for BB and free unlimited UK calls more or less straight off, and then a waiver of the £4 TV charge just on asking. I did that by chat.

The last time, just three weeks ago, it was more difficult, and actually took two chats on two consecutive days. The first one the best they could offer was £21 BB F35 + £10.50 unlimited UK calls + £2 for TV. I didn't like that so decided I'd try phoning them instead the next day, as the agent on chat told me that the call centre loyalty team had different deals they could offer than the chat team.

As it turned out I decided to chat again the next day instead and got offered £22 for F35 and £7 for anytime calls. I grizzled at that and eventually got £21 for F35, and free TV, but couldn't get him down on the calls so decided to just drop that boost as I don't make enough calls to justify even £7pm (I will now be using my http://www.18185.co.uk account again for the few calls I do make ;)). Maybe I could have done better by phoning them instead, but I just couldn't be bothered, and what I got was good enough.

sg31 wrote:I am a bit deaf and find it difficult to understand some of the Indian staff at the call centre, they are very helpful but it does get tedious asking them to repeat things.

Hmmm ... are you sure you're getting through to the right team? Having done it by chat I haven't called them for renewals for a couple of years, but it always used to be that while, yes, general customer services and, indeed, technical support where in India, the sales, cancellations and loyalty team were in South Africa.

gryffron wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Never contract with TT for the headline price, always contact their "loyalty" team, grizzle about the cost, talk about cancelling and negotiate. If you're signing up for the first time do the same.

I’d say that is true of ALL broadband providers. Call centre staff, and especially the retentions people, seem to have a huge latitude about the price they charge you. Just make it clear you want to negotiate “what can you offer me?” and you’ll peak their interest.

I'm not sure how true it is that they have a huge latitude, I rather suspect that they (at least the TalkTalk ones) have a prescribed set of prices they can offer, as in negotiations, when I grizzle at an offer, I often get "that's the best I have available on my system" or similar. Although there have been times when I've regarded that as a negotiating position and got better, after they've consulted with their supervisor! ;)

Anyway, I'm not sure if such cost discussions are directly on topic or only of tangential interest to it, so if anyone wants to continue it may be best to ask the mods to split it off....

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » December 14th, 2021, 3:53 pm

mc2fool wrote:In my experience the difficulty of the negotiations varies from year to year (well, renewal to renewal).

Agree, although this year BT surprised me by preempting my call by emailing me a couple of months before the renewal date for the 80MB Fibre Broadband and offering to cut the cost in half to £2.50 a month for the next two years (the phone line is separate at about £18 a month).

I guess by doing that they hope I wouldn’t have had a chance to shop around and find anyone cheaper, but it did make a refreshing change from them quoting a silly price and me needing to haggle.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » December 14th, 2021, 4:35 pm

mc2fool wrote:In my experience the difficulty of the negotiations varies from year to year (well, renewal to renewal). The time before last it was really easy, getting an offer of £19.95 for BB and free unlimited UK calls more or less straight off, and then a waiver of the £4 TV charge just on asking. I did that by chat.

The last time, just three weeks ago, it was more difficult, and actually took two chats on two consecutive days. The first one the best they could offer was £21 BB F35 + £10.50 unlimited UK calls + £2 for TV. I didn't like that so decided I'd try phoning them instead the next day, as the agent on chat told me that the call centre loyalty team had different deals they could offer than the chat team.

As it turned out I decided to chat again the next day instead and got offered £22 for F35 and £7 for anytime calls. I grizzled at that and eventually got £21 for F35, and free TV, but couldn't get him down on the calls so decided to just drop that boost as I don't make enough calls to justify even £7pm (I will now be using my http://www.18185.co.uk account again for the few calls I do make ;)). Maybe I could have done better by phoning them instead, but I just couldn't be bothered, and what I got was good enough.

Thanks for that, most useful.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » December 16th, 2021, 4:42 pm

mc2fool wrote:I'm not sure how true it is that they have a huge latitude, I rather suspect that they (at least the TalkTalk ones) have a prescribed set of prices they can offer, as in negotiations, when I grizzle at an offer, I often get "that's the best I have available on my system" or similar. Although there have been times when I've regarded that as a negotiating position and got better, after they've consulted with their supervisor! ;)

Anyway, I'm not sure if such cost discussions are directly on topic or only of tangential interest to it, so if anyone wants to continue it may be best to ask the mods to split it off....

Just to finish this off. Talk Talk have now offered me 67Mb broadband and free anytime calls for £20 per month on an 18 month contract. It was hard work getting there but that seems like a good result.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 16th, 2021, 4:53 pm

sg31 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:I'm not sure how true it is that they have a huge latitude, I rather suspect that they (at least the TalkTalk ones) have a prescribed set of prices they can offer, as in negotiations, when I grizzle at an offer, I often get "that's the best I have available on my system" or similar. Although there have been times when I've regarded that as a negotiating position and got better, after they've consulted with their supervisor! ;)

Just to finish this off. Talk Talk have now offered me 67Mb broadband and free anytime calls for £20 per month on an 18 month contract. It was hard work getting there but that seems like a good result.

Yep, that's pretty good! Well done! Did you get the £4 TV charge waived as well?

So, what was the process here? You told Now to take over the service and then, what? TT called you? Or you called TT and told them you'd started the process of moving to Now? And then after the renegotiation you called up Now to cancel moving to them? I'm just woondering about the timing here, and whether there's a risk of, when using moving elsewhere as a negotiating tactic, the move actually happening before you get the chance to renegotiate...

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » December 16th, 2021, 8:33 pm

In the Apple world, WiFi calling is available on iPhones 5c, 6 and upwards but not on iPhone 5 - all assuming that the service provider supports it on the SIM.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » December 17th, 2021, 11:44 am

mc2fool wrote:Yep, that's pretty good! Well done! Did you get the £4 TV charge waived as well?

So, what was the process here? You told Now to take over the service and then, what? TT called you? Or you called TT and told them you'd started the process of moving to Now? And then after the renegotiation you called up Now to cancel moving to them? I'm just woondering about the timing here, and whether there's a risk of, when using moving elsewhere as a negotiating tactic, the move actually happening before you get the chance to renegotiate...

When I didn't get very far with Talk Talk I signed up with Now with everything to go live on 29th December. Their package for 67Mb and anytime calls was very good value. They sent me an account number and asked me to set up a 'My Account'. That proved to be a problem.

They had obviously notified Talk Talk that I'd signed up with Now as Talk Talk sent me emails which I ignored and finally a letter. I was still having problems with the Now 'My Account' so I rang Talk Talk on the number they gave me (0345 172 0047). I said that I was ringing out of courtesy as I'd been with them since they started in 2003 but I doubted they could compete with the deal I'd got. I told them who it was with and the price and basically if they couldn't compete I was going to proceed with the move. Without much discussion they offered the same deal for £20 on an 18 month contract.

I phoned Now and cancelled my new contract with them. I got the impression that they would have undercut Talk Talk if I'd asked or offered a very cheap TV deal.

We just don't watch TV, we sometimes have Netflix to binge watch series but we haven't turned the main TV on more than a few times in 6 years.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 18th, 2021, 5:54 pm

sg31 wrote:When I didn't get very far with Talk Talk I signed up with Now with everything to go live on 29th December. Their package for 67Mb and anytime calls was very good value. They sent me an account number and asked me to set up a 'My Account'. That proved to be a problem.

They had obviously notified Talk Talk that I'd signed up with Now as Talk Talk sent me emails which I ignored and finally a letter. I was still having problems with the Now 'My Account' so I rang Talk Talk on the number they gave me (0345 172 0047). I said that I was ringing out of courtesy as I'd been with them since they started in 2003 but I doubted they could compete with the deal I'd got. I told them who it was with and the price and basically if they couldn't compete I was going to proceed with the move. Without much discussion they offered the same deal for £20 on an 18 month contract.

I phoned Now and cancelled my new contract with them. I got the impression that they would have undercut Talk Talk if I'd asked or offered a very cheap TV deal.

We just don't watch TV, we sometimes have Netflix to binge watch series but we haven't turned the main TV on more than a few times in 6 years.

Well, once again, congratulations. Just curious, were the emails and letter TT sent you simply mundane acknowledgements of your transfer to Now, or were they "Please call us and we'll give you a really good deal to stay" type solicitations? Or, indeed, did they actually contain offers?

Ok, so what we learn is to ask for the transfer to happen well enough in the future to give you time to renegotiate, and then make sure you do so, and cancel the transfer, within the 14 (?) day statutory period. ;)

Re TV, I take it then you didn't get a TalkTalk YouView box (or whatever they're supplying now)...

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » December 19th, 2021, 10:57 am

mc2fool wrote:Well, once again, congratulations. Just curious, were the emails and letter TT sent you simply mundane acknowledgements of your transfer to Now, or were they "Please call us and we'll give you a really good deal to stay" type solicitations? Or, indeed, did they actually contain offers?

Ok, so what we learn is to ask for the transfer to happen well enough in the future to give you time to renegotiate, and then make sure you do so, and cancel the transfer, within the 14 (?) day statutory period. ;)

Re TV, I take it then you didn't get a TalkTalk YouView box (or whatever they're supplying now)...

The main line of emails and the letter was..

It's easy to stay with Talk Talk and get a deal that's right for you. Call our dedicated loyalty team to find out more. Call us now on 0345 172 0047.Our team is ready to help.

The Now deal was exceptional value, by far the best on comparison sites. I was more than happy to go with them apart from the difficulty signing up for their my account which was confusing because I'd never had that problem with any site before and I'd downloaded a browser I'd never used before and still had the same problem.

Now have a 31 day cancallation clause, maybe others do.

I never got into the TV side of things. I've looked at the Now TV package since and it seems expensive compared to Netflix. Talk Talk did have a Netflix offer on recently, maybe I should have asked for a deal on that as well but I was happy with what I'd got.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”