Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

How to stop spams?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

How to stop spams?

Postby Bouleversee » July 24th, 2018, 5:40 pm

"Sexy Girl" keeps sending me messages which I don't read but report as spam so they get deleted. (I'd love to know how she got my email address.) However, they keep coming. How do I contact Yahoo to report this? I'm sure that before they updated their system they blocked them once reported.
I seem to have been switched to the new one again, though at one point I managed to opt out, thanks to Breelander. Have you managed to stay on the old one, Bree? I had a message saying that using an adblocker (which I do) would slow things up for me but I ignored it. It does take a while to get onto my emails and I have noticed that some things (including Digitallook's website) are a bit cropped on the right hand side which prevents my signing out. Anyone know what I can do about this?

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Re: How to stop spams?

Postby AF62 » July 24th, 2018, 6:54 pm

Stop using Yahoo and use Google's mail service instead - sorry, probably not the answer you want.

Google's spam filters are very good and easily tailored so you can flag up items that have been mistakenly treated as such.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » July 24th, 2018, 7:14 pm

AF62 wrote:Stop using Yahoo and use Google's mail service instead - sorry, probably not the answer you want.

Google's spam filters are very good and easily tailored so you can flag up items that have been mistakenly treated as such.

I use Yahoo Mail and receive a couple of spam emails a week. Direct to the Junk mail box. Any that do get into my inbox can be marked as spam.

I’m unsure if Boulee is saying this facility is not available in the “new” Yahoo Mail, as I am still on the Classic version.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » July 24th, 2018, 10:09 pm

AF62 -

I am tempted, though the thought of having to advise everyone is a bit daunting.

PD -

I switched back to the classic at one point because I preferred it but then got repeatedly harangued to switch to the new one and although I never agreed found myself on the new one anyway. How have you managed to avoid the switch?

Re spams: as I said, you can click on the spam option in the new system and it will delete the unread message but it doesn't prevent the same sender sending another one.

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » July 24th, 2018, 10:51 pm

PinkDalek wrote:I use Yahoo Mail and receive a couple of spam emails a week. Direct to the Junk mail box. Any that do get into my inbox can be marked as spam.

I have the opposite.
Non-spam ending up in the spam box and the Yahoo classic never learns when you select 'not spam'.

Gmail spam ID seems to learn better than Yahoo.

uspaul666
2 Lemon pips

Postby uspaul666 » July 24th, 2018, 11:04 pm

Bouleversee wrote:AF62 -

I am tempted, though the thought of having to advise everyone is a bit daunting.

PD -

I switched back to the classic at one point because I preferred it but then got repeatedly harangued to switch to the new one and although I never agreed found myself on the new one anyway. How have you managed to avoid the switch?

Re spams: as I said, you can click on the spam option in the new system and it will delete the unread message but it doesn't prevent the same sender sending another one.

You should be able to set gmail to automatically pick up your yahoo email and maybe even let you pretend to be sending from yahoo too so the switchover doesn’t need to be instant...

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » July 25th, 2018, 12:43 am

uspaul666 wrote:You should be able to set gmail to automatically pick up your yahoo email and maybe even let you pretend to be sending from yahoo too so the switchover doesn’t need to be instant...

Having a gmail account can make switching from one Android phone to an updated one a fairly pain free experience in terms of retaining contact numbers and an address book.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » July 25th, 2018, 12:48 am

Bouleversee wrote: How do I contact Yahoo to report this? I'm sure that before they updated their system they blocked them once reported.
I seem to have been switched to the new one again, though at one point I managed to opt out, thanks to Breelander. Have you managed to stay on the old one, Bree?

Yes, I have. I had a close call where I was switched without my consent, but switched myself straight back. A few other times the 'switch now' prompt appeared when I opened the mail site, which I had to jump through a few hoops to decline. Now they seem to have given up on me, there's just a discrete blue 'one click away from your updated inbox' reminder at the bottom left corner :)

In the Classic Mail, and I'm sure the 'New Mail' will be the same, there's a Spam button above the inbox. If you click on this it sends the currently selected email to your Spam folder (and probably trains the filter to send others like it there). But there's also a down-arrow next to it, this give to option to report it to Yahoo as Spam, or as a Phishing Spam.

I had a message saying that using an adblocker (which I do) would slow things up for me but I ignored it. ... I have noticed that some things (including Digitallook's website) are a bit cropped on the right hand side which prevents my signing out. Anyone know what I can do about this?

Ad blockers usually try to rearrange the page to make better use of the spaces the ads occupied. Mostly this improves the look of the page but apparently not for DL. I don't use ad blockers, I use a HOSTS table instead. This just stops the ads appearing but the page layout isn't affected. I use this...
http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

Alternatively, you might be able to get to the sign out box by zooming out a bit, say to 90% or 80%. Actually, I don't ever sign out of DL, just close the window. You're signed out automatically after two hours anyway, so signing out yourself is not really necessary. In fact, if I try to open DL immediately after closing a window it says I'm signed out and have to sign in again.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » July 25th, 2018, 11:40 am

Thanks again, Bree. I hadn't realised it was a two-pronged job to block future emails from spammers. I thought just ticking the box and clicking on spam was all that was required. Hopefully Sexy Girl will not appear again now.

OK, so I won't worry about not logging out of DL. I find that the last letter or two of my incoming messages are sometimes missing, eg ADVFN's bulletins, but I can usually work out what is being said so I'll leave U-block on for the moment.

Is it still possible to get back to classic Yahoo?

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » July 25th, 2018, 12:18 pm

Bouleversee wrote:… Is it still possible to get back to classic Yahoo?

Bree might explain if this isn't correct but see:

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN15936.html

It worked for me when I think they changed me to "New Mail".

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » July 25th, 2018, 4:52 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:… Is it still possible to get back to classic Yahoo?

Bree might explain if this isn't correct....

Yes, that's correct. There may be a time limit on 'going back' though. I wouldn't know as I've always switched back straight away :)

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » July 25th, 2018, 6:11 pm

I'll have a go at switching back again.. As you may remember, I did that some months ago successfully but although I have never sanctioned it, they have switched me to the new one again.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 25th, 2018, 7:51 pm

uspaul666 wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:AF62 -

PD -

You should be able to set gmail to automatically pick up your yahoo email and maybe even let you pretend to be sending from yahoo too so the switchover doesn’t need to be instant...

That would be what I recommend.

In addition Google's email system allows you to 'flag' emails if they meet certain criteria. Over time you can change email addresses with people and companies you deal with, and if you set the flagging criteria to be your old email address you will easily see who is still sending to your old address.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » July 25th, 2018, 8:02 pm

" spams: as I said, you can click on the spam option in the new system and it will delete the unread message but it doesn't prevent the same sender sending another one."

and if you then click on the block option, you find you are asking for the next message, i.e. the next message in your inbox, to be blocked. Hopeless.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » July 25th, 2018, 8:05 pm

Bouleversee wrote:" spams: as I said, you can click on the spam option in the new system and it will delete the unread message but it doesn't prevent the same sender sending another one."

and if you then click on the block option, you find you are asking for the next message, i.e. the next message in your inbox, to be blocked. Hopeless.

It might be simpler if you manage to get back to Yahoo Classic.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » July 26th, 2018, 8:42 am

I do believe I have managed to switch back to Classic.
Thanks to all for assistance.

ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Postby ten0rman » July 26th, 2018, 9:54 am

Unless I've missed it, I haven't seen whether Boulservee is using an email client such as Outlook (or what ever the current Microsoft offering is called), Thunderbird, or webmail, ie logging on to the internet to read the emails.

I use Thunderbird, and before that I used Outlook Express (which I know no longer exists) and in both instances I was able to set up message filters which detected the unwanted phrase, eg "Sexy Lady", and immediately divert the email to the Junk folder. Or even to immediately Delete if required. I've just had a look at mine and I still have a lot of filters set to intercept things such as V1agra, C1al1s etc, and so on, even including such things as emails from NatWest, First Direct etc - all banks which I don't use and hence by definition spam. I find this system very satisfactory.

Regards,

ten0rman

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » July 26th, 2018, 10:03 am

I don't have a smartphone and view my Yahoo emails on my laptop where it is the home page or my Samsung tablet. Emails such as Sexy Lady used to go straight into the spam box (along with various others which weren't spam) until recently, possibly when I was involuntarily switched back to the new Yahoo. Hopefully, things will revert to that again now I have switched back to Classic. Being an ancient Doris, those names Tenorman mentioned mean nothing to me, but thanks anyway.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » July 26th, 2018, 12:03 pm

Bouleversee wrote:I don't have a smartphone and view my Yahoo emails on my laptop where it is the home page or my Samsung tablet. Emails such as Sexy Lady used to go straight into the spam box (along with various others which weren't spam) until recently, possibly when I was involuntarily switched back to the new Yahoo. Hopefully, things will revert to that again now I have switched back to Classic. Being an ancient Doris, those names Tenorman mentioned mean nothing to me, but thanks anyway.

There's a constant battle between the spammers and the various webmail spam filters. Every now and again the spammers work out how to get round the current filters and you'll get a deluge of spam, some of which will make its way to your inbox.
Normally it only takes a week or so for the filters to be updated and the amount of spam drops significantly.
Repeat ad nauseum...

I have all my webmail accounts that will do it set up for 'exclusive only', which means only whitelisted email addresses either from the contacts list or done on an individual basis can go to your inbox, (unless a spam manages to 'spoof' a legitimate whitelisted address, and even then it will often keep it out of the inbox)
It does mean you have to keep a close eye on your spam box though, as there will occasionally be emails you want that will get spammed until you whitelist them.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » July 26th, 2018, 1:28 pm

Infrasonic wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:I don't have a smartphone and view my Yahoo emails on my laptop where it is the home page or my Samsung tablet. Emails such as Sexy Lady used to go straight into the spam box (along with various others which weren't spam) until recently, possibly when I was involuntarily switched back to the new Yahoo. Hopefully, things will revert to that again now I have switched back to Classic. Being an ancient Doris, those names Tenorman mentioned mean nothing to me, but thanks anyway.

There's a constant battle between the spammers and the various webmail spam filters. Every now and again the spammers work out how to get round the current filters and you'll get a deluge of spam, some of which will make its way to your inbox.
Normally it only takes a week or so for the filters to be updated and the amount of spam drops significantly.
Repeat ad nauseum...

I have all my webmail accounts that will do it set up for 'exclusive only', which means only whitelisted email addresses either from the contacts list or done on an individual basis can go to your inbox, (unless a spam manages to 'spoof' a legitimate whitelisted address, and even then it will often keep it out of the inbox)
It does mean you have to keep a close eye on your spam box though, as there will occasionally be emails you want that will get spammed until you whitelist them.

...or you could just try not getting SPAM? ;)

I know that isn't a terribly helpful comment, sorry. But how else should I phrase it? I don't get spam email (and hardly ever spam/phishing phone calls). Is this normal? It is for me but how do I know what is 'normal' for most people? And if it isn't 'normal', why isn't it?

I mentioned this before on TMF. I never used to receive spam (about 3 every 5 years) then following a human error, at a subscribed company sending out information, where I and thousands of others received, instead of an email with an ad/offer/info/who knows what, one with the body of the email containing thousands of other peoples emails. Not surprisingly, a few weeks after this, I did start receiving spam. This continued for about 2 years(?) while I ignored all the advice on TMF telling me: "That won't work", "You can't do anything about it", "You don't understand" etc, while I set about trying to stop them using my own approaches.

About 2 years(?) later, no more spam - just like it used to be.

Phones? I used to get all the usual, I just said "Sorry! Busy." and put the phone down, or with auto calls, simply laid the phone down (still on hook) and only put it back when the alert tone came on after the call had timed out. Don't really seem to get them any more.

Last phishing call I got, I hardly had time to say anything much when the guy groaned and rang off! Either I'm more boring than I think or I must be on a Spammers Black List...

To me, spam does not seem to be "inevitable".

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”