Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

myweb.house

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
GN100
2 Lemon pips

myweb.house

Postby GN100 » November 6th, 2016, 10:37 pm

I seem to have picked up myweb.house somewhere along the way. It manifests itself by opening a new tab which is the search page for myweb.house, currently doing it on Firefox, not yet seen on Chrome. Malwarebytes and Superantispyware don't find it and Norton Power Eraser (which is a recommended means of eradicating it on a Google search) doesn't find it.

Any ideas on finding and removing??

Running Win 10 Pro 64bit with Windows Defender running.

GN

pottager

Re: myweb.house

Postby pottager » November 7th, 2016, 9:20 am

Hi - first post here :)
I suggest you try AdwCleaner, nice and fast and finds most things like this: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Edit: just noticed that AdwCleaner is now part of the Malwarebytes stable.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 7th, 2016, 2:17 pm

pottager wrote:I just noticed that AdwCleaner is now part of the Malwarebytes stable.

That is true, but they still operate in two distinctly different ways. The usual recommended approach is to run AdwCleaner first, followed by a Malwarebytes scan.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 7th, 2016, 2:27 pm

For really pernicious and nasty malware that can block the use of AdwCleaner or Malwarebytes there's Rkill - it doesn't remove the malware, but it stops the processes that are preventing the scanners from working (probably not needed for this one).
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/

GN100
2 Lemon pips

Postby GN100 » November 7th, 2016, 10:24 pm

Rkill loaded and run, Adw cleaner and Malwarebytes also, nothing found. Myweb.house only shows occasionally as a new tab and have not see it for a few hours. Maybe it comes along with a webpage I am looking at - I suspected the Telegraph for a while but now think I was wrong. It isn't that much of a problem as I just close the new tab that has opened but I am not keen in principal on thinks happening out of my control on my PC. Will keep an eye on it and see if/when it re appears.

GN

zagabog

Postby zagabog » November 7th, 2016, 10:51 pm

If it is coming with a website it may be time to consider an adblocker. I've found the Ghostery plug in for Chrome to be very good. Whilst the on-line Ad merchants are continually so unconcerned about security, AdBlocking is the only way to browse securely. Unlike some of the other adblockers Ghostery don't appear to be playing both ends of the game by selling ad-block exceptions to the sites.

Although I'm running the ad blocker I've added The Lemon Fool to my trusted list (for now), although I'd prefer to see a way to contribute rather than having to risk the ad service security.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 7th, 2016, 11:04 pm

zagabog wrote:If it is coming with a website it may be time to consider an adblocker...

I don't use any adblocker, rather I use a HOSTS table. It has the same end result (no ads) but eliminates the need for separate ad-ins for each browser - plus it blocks a lot of other things at the same time. I get it from here...

You can use a HOSTS file to block ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and even most hijackers.

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

zagabog

Postby zagabog » November 7th, 2016, 11:09 pm

Host tables work too, I used to use them. Personally I prefer the finer control I get with Ghostery, its probably easier for a non-it-expert to set up for themselves too.

GN100
2 Lemon pips

Postby GN100 » November 8th, 2016, 6:23 pm

Thanks Bree,

Hosts file now installed. Let's see if that stops myweb.house.

GN

GN100
2 Lemon pips

Postby GN100 » November 9th, 2016, 7:05 am

Hosts file installed and working but myweb.house still appears from time to time as it did before - so it's not coming in that way. As before it appears by opening the myweb.house search page in a new tab which is easily closed. From this it doesn't seem to have done a browser hi jack, at least certainly not to my home page. I guess the next thing to try is a complete uninstall of my two browsers Chrome and Firefox when I have time later today.

GN

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 9th, 2016, 7:23 am

GN100 wrote:I guess the next thing to try is a complete uninstall of my two browsers Chrome and Firefox when I have time later today.

Perhaps before you do that you may like to try running each browser with all add-ons disabled. See the second half of this article...

How-To Geek wrote:Fortunately, there is a way to see how your browser performs without any add-ons at all. To do this, open your browser in “safe mode,” where it will load without any extensions at all...
http://www.howtogeek.com/173391/how-to- ... r-browser/

GN100
2 Lemon pips

Postby GN100 » November 9th, 2016, 1:02 pm

Good idea. Have put Firefox into safe mode and stopped using Chrome for the moment. That way I can pin it down easier.

GN

GN100
2 Lemon pips

Postby GN100 » November 22nd, 2016, 4:55 pm

I have now had some spare time to pin this my web.house problem down. By elimination it was only Chrome that was affected not Firefox, I don't know about the others as I hardly ever use anything but these two. The infection manifested itself as at completely random times opening up a new tab of the myweb.house home page. I reinstalled Chrome but no improvement, the new tabs kept opening of their own accord.
I ran the usual scans of Malwarebytes and SuperantiSpyware but these didn't find or clear the problem. I then carried out a bit of research on the web resulting in running Spyware Hunter which flagged up an infection of Key-Find.com but not myweb.house. Unfortunately Spyware Hunter requires you to buy the programme to clear infections. Next step and assuming that Key-Find and Web House could be the same thing I dug deeper on the web and found in Bleeping Computer this Key Find removal guide:-

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-r ... r-hijacker

Working through the steps removal was successful and I then followed up with my usual Superanti Spyware and Malwarebytes scans to remove the rest of the tracking cookies, etc. So far so good, no uninvited new tabs seen.

GN

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » November 22nd, 2016, 7:04 pm

AwCleaner is usually recommended together with Malwarebytes, in that order.

Slarti

GN100
2 Lemon pips

Postby GN100 » November 22nd, 2016, 10:57 pm

I ran ADwcleaner but it didn't pick up the myweb.house problem. I have no idea how but I got lucky in picking up that myweb.house seemed to be similar to Key-find and taking that out removed myweb.house.

Maybe others will find this useful if they get infected.

GN

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”