Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Transferring files and settings.

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Parky
Lemon Slice

Transferring files and settings.

Postby Parky » November 20th, 2019, 10:12 am

What's the best/easiest way to transfer files and settings to a new computer (both Windows 10). It's many years since I have done this and I can't remember what I did last time, when it was probably W7 anyway. :?:

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: Transferring files and settings.

Postby Infrasonic » November 22nd, 2019, 8:13 am

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 22nd, 2019, 8:55 am

I should add that the free version of MR won't copy across W10 document files with backup, only the OS.
The paid for version will do that. (Windows File History can be used to back up the files, or the various cloud options like Google Drive, MS OneDrive et al.)
Windows will back up a limited amount of system settings if you have a MS account.

Browsers like Google Chrome can be set up to sync/backup everything non MS if you have a Google account, reinstall takes about 5 minutes. I've done that previously with a W10 clean install. You have to be invested into the Google ecosystem for this to work well enough to save you a load of time.

(I recently bought a brand new Chromebook [Chrome OS], logged in to my primary Google account and was up an running ten minutes later after it had synced everything back to the new Chromebook. [Eventually Windows might be this simple to use]...)

There are arguments against the full backup redeployed W10 idea, the main one being a nice new clean W10 install won't have any corruption issues with the OS/settings copied over from the old machine. If the old machine is really old it might be better to go with a clean install (just set up the new PC with the already installed copy of W10) and reinstall third party apps again.
You could prep by downloading all the essential third party apps latest versions to a USB flash drive and then install from that on the new machine (from explorer find the .exe file for each app to install).

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 22nd, 2019, 10:02 am

I've never used it but others have, so it might save you some time...https://ninite.com/

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”