Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Where are the emails?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Where are the emails?

Postby terminal7 » January 13th, 2020, 7:51 am

OH's very old Lenovo died yesterday. Basically WIN7 would no longer function - could not get into safe mode etc. Just could not get the OS to kick in.
Tried all the usual but appeared to be terminal problem with WIN.

Hence did a restore from a recovery disc.

Much of her files were backed up to last November. Anyway my reading was that whilst all programmes would be wiped out, documents would end up on a separate partition and this indeed turned out to be the case. The post November files have been easily transferred to another computer.

What I am not sure is where the emails are - assuming they are there somewhere, Programme was Windows Live Mail.

Any thoughts would be kindly received.

T7

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Re: Where are the emails?

Postby mutantpoodle » January 13th, 2020, 8:44 am

am sure someone with operational tech brains will be along soon...but being 'live.co' which is hotmail...presumably you can access from another computer?...i mean, I can get mine when abroad and using cafe wifi...?

kyu66
2 Lemon pips

Postby kyu66 » January 13th, 2020, 9:21 am

terminal7 wrote:OH's very old Lenovo died yesterday. Basically WIN7 would no longer function - could not get into safe mode etc. Just could not get the OS to kick in.
Tried all the usual but appeared to be terminal problem with WIN.

Hence did a restore from a recovery disc.

Much of her files were backed up to last November. Anyway my reading was that whilst all programmes would be wiped out, documents would end up on a separate partition and this indeed turned out to be the case. The post November files have been easily transferred to another computer.

What I am not sure is where the emails are - assuming they are there somewhere, Programme was Windows Live Mail.

Any thoughts would be kindly received.

T7

If you used POP3 then the default location is C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail>, where <username> is your log on user name.

So if the recovery tried to save data to a new partition rather than overwrite, then the emails should be there as .eml files.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » January 14th, 2020, 11:43 am

Thanks Fools - very helpful and all sorted.

T7

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”