Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

No important updates are available... the end.

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
88V8
Lemon Half

No important updates are available... the end.

Postby 88V8 » January 14th, 2020, 10:18 am

Fired up the control panel and ran the routine W7 Update search this morning.
No Important Updates Are Available.

Then I ran MSE... nothing.

So the presumption that 14th January would see the last major set of W7 updates, may be wrong.

It seems that's it.
We're on our own.
The End.

V8

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Re: No important updates are available... the end.

Postby Watis » January 14th, 2020, 10:29 am

It's still first thing in the morning in the western USA.

I've got no updates waiting for a Win10 system just now.

Maybe try again tomorrow?

Watis

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » January 14th, 2020, 12:18 pm

88V8 wrote:So the presumption that 14th January would see the last major set of W7 updates, may be wrong...

No, you are just being a little impatient ;)

Today is Patch Tuesday, the day Microsoft release their monthly updates. They are released at 10am in Redmond, Washington (PST). That is 6pm GMT, so check again this evening. There will be one last monthly rollup for W7.

Definitions updates should continue for a while longer, the same updates are used in W8 and W10. Only if/when the AV engine gets updated would MSE no longer be able to use the updates.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » January 14th, 2020, 12:30 pm

Breelander wrote:
88V8 wrote:So the presumption that 14th January would see the last major set of W7 updates, may be wrong...

No, you are just being a little impatient ;)

Today is Patch Tuesday, the day Microsoft release their monthly updates. They are release at 10am in Redmond, Washington (PST). That is 6pm GMT, so check again this evening. There will be one last monthly rollup for W7.

Definitions updates should continue for a while longer, the same updates are used in W8 and W10. Only if/when the AV engine gets updated would MSE no longer be able to use the updates.

Has anyone ever checked to see where the updates actually come from server wise for the UK?

I know many large companies (Netflix et al) mirror their services these days so that servers are more local, both to reduce latency and cut down on contention ratio issues.

I've always done my patch Tuesday updates early on Wednesday morning (when sensible people in the USA are asleep...) but that's predicated on it all coming from the US servers, if it's actually coming from elsewhere it may be a false premise!

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » January 14th, 2020, 12:43 pm

Infrasonic wrote:Has anyone ever checked to see where the updates actually come from server wise for the UK?

Could be from anywhere, most large sites use a Content Delivery Network (CDN). Microsoft use Akamai. Other CDN networks you may have heard of include Cloudfare.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_delivery_network

Content that is released on the main server is rapidly replicated around the world to local CDN servers. The replication delay should only be a a few minutes at most, often just seconds.

I have (an increasing) number of machines to update, so I always start checking for updates at 6pm. The updates from Microsoft are invariable available within minutes.

PS: if, like me, you have more than one W10 machine then you it may actually only be the first machine that gets its update from the internet. W10 can get updates from other PCs on your local network, saving time and bandwidth.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » January 14th, 2020, 4:51 pm

Windows 7 is sent off in style with a Viking funeral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kXk0PG ... e=youtu.be

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » January 14th, 2020, 7:54 pm

88V8 wrote:So the presumption that 14th January would see the last major set of W7 updates, may be wrong.

As expected, there was a new update for Windows 7 today.

Microsoft | January 14, 2020—KB4534310 (Monthly Rollup)

And, as also expected, MSE will continue to get updates.

Microsoft wrote:...we will continue to provide signature updates for Microsoft Security Essentials until 2023.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hel ... essentials

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » January 14th, 2020, 8:20 pm

Haha! The wonder of Youtube.

The updates timing thing is odd. Perhaps it's the moon.
I am a creature of habit. I boot up whilst dressing, and then before I go down for breakfast I start the Updates search. Or an alternate days, the MSE update.
After breakfast, MSE will have done its stuff, of if it's an Updates day, the updates will be sitting there waiting for me to load them, or not load them as I decide.

I never load more than one update per day in case it goes awry, the reasoning being that then I know what went awry and can reverse it. So if it's bonanza day and there are six or more updates sitting there, some of them have to wait.

Now, if I can't run the update search in the morning, I have on occasion run it in the evening. Invariably it returns nothing. 'Windows is up to date', it lies. Even when I know for a fact that there is a clutch of updates sitting out there.
And then the next morning, I run the search as usual and there indeed they are, waiting to be loaded.

The evening? Doesn't work for me.
Perhaps it's the moon, the tides.

I'll try again tomorrow, in the morning.
If the death of W7 has been prematurely pronounced, good. I can procrastinate over W10 a little longer.

V8

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » January 14th, 2020, 9:32 pm

88V8 wrote:I'll try again tomorrow, in the morning.

Tomorrow morning be prepared to see a full-screen message from Microsoft.

Microsoft wrote: Starting on January 15, 2020, a full-screen notification will appear that describes the risk of continuing to use Windows 7 Service Pack 1 after it reaches end of support on January 14, 2020.

But don't worry, it will have a little 'Don't remind me again' link to click at the bottom left.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » January 16th, 2020, 10:06 am

Yes, indeed. The updates appeared.

And later in the day, the sales blurb from MS enjoining us to buy W10 and a shiny new computer. Your computer is three years old???? Pffft !!!

This really pees me off. In the interest of further enriching MS, we are encouraged to discard millions, no, tens of millions of computers, many of which could be upgraded. This throwaway mentality is a key part of the stupidity that has got our planet into this mess, and I must thank the posters on this Board who provide guidance in the upgrade of our existing kit.

Anyway, I'm gradually loading the updates. And no, I won't be buying a new computer.

V8

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » January 16th, 2020, 10:11 am

88V8 wrote:This really pees me off. In the interest of further enriching MS, we are encouraged to discard millions, no, tens of millions of computers, many of which could be upgraded.

to win 10 if needed yes. My understanding is win10 is supposed to be better at resource use so hardware wise any win7 system that ran adeautely should do so under win10 (Im happy to be better veducated if that is not true! LOL)>

whether existing software including drivers is compatible is of course another thing

didds

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » January 16th, 2020, 10:34 am

All my updates went without a hitch.

On the upgrade/fixing note there is a movement towards not just throwing stuff away...https://openrepair.org/
In my immediate five mile radius there's at least three volunteer based local repair cafe's that I know of that have monthly or bi-weekly open days.
Electronics, bikes, clothes etc.
It would be a good exercise for knowledgable techies to get involved in their local.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » January 16th, 2020, 1:16 pm

88V8 wrote:Anyway, I'm gradually loading the updates. And no, I won't be buying a new computer.

If you are using Microsoft Security Essentials as your AV you will be pleased to learn that it will continue to be kept up to date until 2023.

Microsoft wrote:Microsoft will continue to release signature updates (including engine) to service systems currently running Microsoft Security Essentials untill 2023.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... essentials

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » January 17th, 2020, 9:52 am

Breelander wrote:If you are using Microsoft Security Essentials as your AV you will be pleased to learn that it will continue to be kept up to date until 2023.

Yes, I am and I am.

But why? If the AV of W10 is bulletproof, what is MSE for? Presumably W7 refuseniks. Nice to know we/they aren't being totally abandoned.

Mind you, I wonder how many Gubmt systems are still running on XP, or prior.

V8

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 17th, 2020, 2:06 pm

Don't know whether there's any mileage in it, but ZD Net says you can still get an upgrade. ;)

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how ... 0-upgrade/

Business Insider (https://www.businessinsider.com/microso ... ?r=US&IR=T) says:
However, there is still a way to get Windows 10 for free, which ZDNet and The Verge have spotted. Visit Microsoft's Windows 10 upgrade page from a Windows 7 PC, click the "Download tool now" button, and select "Upgrade PC" now," and you should be able to install the new software free of charge. Before doing so, however, remember to back up all important files, and remember that not all Windows 7 apps may be compatible with Windows 10.

Any good?

BJ (whose local Sainsburys store is most definitely running on Windows 7. As is the hole in the wall cashpoint, I daresay?)

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » January 17th, 2020, 3:07 pm

88V8 wrote:But why? If the AV of W10 is bulletproof, what is MSE for? Presumably W7 refuseniks. Nice to know we/they aren't being totally abandoned.

Yes, MSE is only for W7, it won't install or run on W8 or later.

It's easy for MS to continue to provide updates for MSE. It uses the same scan engine and definitions as W10's Defender, so the extra work involved is relatively trivial.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » January 17th, 2020, 3:16 pm

bungeejumper wrote:BJ (whose local Sainsburys store is most definitely running on Windows 7...)

Enterprise customers can pay to receive Extended Security Updates for W7 until 2023.

Microsoft wrote:Although end of support for Windows 7 is January 14, 2020, organizations can purchase ESU at any time during the three years that the offer is available...
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -windows-7

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”