Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Printer won’t stop printing

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Printer won’t stop printing

Postby Jonetc15 » January 20th, 2020, 7:33 pm

For a number of years I’ve had my PC connected by Wi-Fi to my printer.

Yesterday when I connected the PC to my HP Envy 5530 printer by cable and switched the printer on, it started to print seemingly endless pages, a number of them being Amazon return labels for example. I’m not sure whether the printer has stored these instructions to print and how to cancel/empty any storage, or whether the info is stored on my PC and if so how to clear any stored print jobs.

Suggestions as to how to deal with this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Jon

genou
Lemon Quarter

Re: Printer won’t stop printing

Postby genou » January 20th, 2020, 8:11 pm

Jonetc15 wrote:For a number of years I’ve had my PC connected by Wi-Fi to my printer.

Yesterday when I connected the PC to my HP Envy 5530 printer by cable and switched the printer on, it started to print seemingly endless pages, a number of them being Amazon return labels for example. I’m not sure whether the printer has stored these instructions to print and how to cancel/empty any storage, or whether the info is stored on my PC and if so how to clear any stored print jobs.

Suggestions as to how to deal with this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Jon

I assume you've switched off the printer/ disconnected from it in the meantime. It sounds like you have two printers set up on your machine - one wired, one wi-fi. For some reason ( normally not noticing which printer is selected ) you had a pile of print jobs for the wired printer. I have a recollection that you are now on W10. If that is true, select "type here to search" ( next to the Start menu ) and type "printers", you should then see an option "Printers and Scanners". Choose that and see what printers are attached. Clicking on a printer gives the option "Open Queue". Look through the printers to find one with a queue containing documents you don't want.

Once a queue is open you have the option "Printer", under which is "Cancel all documents". You should be able to get rid of the rubbish that way. If you are on a different version of Windows, which one is it ?

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Postby Jonetc15 » January 20th, 2020, 8:33 pm

genou wrote:...I assume you've switched off the printer/ disconnected from it in the meantime. It sounds like you have two printers set up on your machine - one wired, one wi-fi. For some reason ( normally not noticing which printer is selected ) you had a pile of print jobs for the wired printer. I have a recollection that you are now on W10. If that is true, select "type here to search" ( next to the Start menu ) and type "printers", you should then see an option "Printers and Scanners". Choose that and see what printers are attached. Clicking on a printer gives the option "Open Queue". Look through the printers to find one with a queue containing documents you don't want.

Once a queue is open you have the option "Printer", under which is "Cancel all documents". You should be able to get rid of the rubbish that way. If you are on a different version of Windows, which one is it ?

Very many thanks indeed genou, both for such a prompt and detailed reply and for remembering that I am on W10 (brand new). In fact this problem is with Windows 7 - I’m keeping my old PC with W7 offline and using it as an offline typewriter until I have got to grips with W10 on my new PC. I do have two printers shown on W7 and I’ll uninstall the one on WiFi.

Thanks again
Jon

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Postby Jonetc15 » January 20th, 2020, 9:46 pm

genou wrote:...Once a queue is open you have the option "Printer", under which is "Cancel all documents". You should be able to get rid of the rubbish that way. If you are on a different version of Windows, which one is it ?

Excellent advice genou. I deleted one printer as well as a queue of 31 jobs. My old W7 PC prints out fine. (One factor in my plan is the voice recognition software in my old PC, which I will only use for documents.) I am getting a new printer for my new W10 PC.

I really am tremendously grateful for another successful result!

All the very best
Jon

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”