Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Windows 7 updates

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
wickham
Lemon Slice

Windows 7 updates

Postby wickham » January 21st, 2020, 9:40 am

Microsoft has stopped updating Windows 7, but if you have a good A/V program, what's the problem?

I would prefer to keep W7 going as my printer has no driver for W10, (built-in obsolescence, they want you to buy a new printer!)

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: Windows 7 updates

Postby Breelander » January 21st, 2020, 1:07 pm

wickham wrote:Microsoft has stopped updating Windows 7, but if you have a good A/V program, what's the problem?

Microsoft has stopped providing new security fixes for the operating system. They are going to continue providing engine and signature updates for Microsoft Security Essentials until 2023.

Microsoft wrote:Microsoft will continue to release signature updates (including engine) to service systems currently running Microsoft Security Essentials until 2023.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... essentials

Other AV providers may (or may not) continue to support W7, you'll have to check with them.

The risk is that a previously unknown OS flaw may be exploited in the future. Windows 8 & 10 will continue to have newly discovered security flaws fixed, Windows 7 won't. However up to date your AV is, it cannot patch the OS. Every new virus has a window of opportunity between being released to the wild and being added to AV signatures, it is there where the risks of using W7 are to be found.

I would prefer to keep W7 going as my printer has no driver for W10, (built-in obsolescence, they want you to buy a new printer!)

What is the make and model of printer?

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 22nd, 2020, 2:17 am

In addition to the risks you might find the functionality of some software falling away over time as it gives up support for legacy systems.

e.g. for a browser
it normally starts with updates stopping for that operating system
- and then web pages taking advantage of features you don't have (including again security issues)
- I've got a Vista box that's still in operation (don't judge me ok!) that suffers this way

and if you use any hypervisor software you might find that their security patches end up ahead of where your OS is and this can prevent it working

- sd

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » January 22nd, 2020, 10:57 am

wickham wrote:Microsoft has stopped updating Windows 7, but if you have a good A/V program, what's the problem?

becaue AIUI anty security vilberabilies inherrent in unpoatched parts of the OS wont be picked up by an AV program - becaiuse the vulnerability in effect may be providing an unintended "back door" to your system, rather than being an virus/trojan/worm etc.

Though IMO the risk is minimal.

didds

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » January 22nd, 2020, 11:37 am

Indeed, AV alone won't save us. Malwarebytes, for instance, have told me that they won't be able to guarantee protection in future.

A new printer, £30 last time I looked for a Canon MG3650, a Which best buy. As it's not listed here https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/port ... 10-upgrade in the Canon schedule of unsupported printers, I expect it to continue working with W10.
Here we are https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9341021

V8

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”