Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Firefox Send

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Nocton
Lemon Slice

Re: Firefox Send

Postby Nocton » February 13th, 2020, 8:32 am

TY for that. I use FF all the while and this is the first time I have heard of this feature, which I will use occasionally.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 13th, 2020, 10:15 am

The wording of that looks potentially-misleading.

They can promise that Mozilla will erase your data from wherever it has been in the cloud. But if your recipient keeps a copy, they can't promise that won't live on, possibly in the cloud. Basically it's presenting a purpose that relies on the cooperation of all parties.

Nocton
Lemon Slice

Postby Nocton » February 14th, 2020, 8:45 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:The wording of that looks potentially-misleading.

They can promise that Mozilla will erase your data from wherever it has been in the cloud. But if your recipient keeps a copy, they can't promise that won't live on, possibly in the cloud. Basically it's presenting a purpose that relies on the cooperation of all parties.

That's right, it says "Send uses end-to-end encryption to keep your data secure from the moment you share to the moment your file is opened." (my italics). One cannot control what the user does with the data you send them. That's where Megan came unstuck, thinking that a letter she sent to someone else was still hers.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 14th, 2020, 9:56 am

Nocton wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:The wording of that looks potentially-misleading.

That's right, it says "Send uses end-to-end encryption to keep your data secure from the moment you share to the moment your file is opened."

Which is no different to any regular secure communication, even where security doesn't really matter. Your posting to lemonfool is encrypted end-to-end, though of course in this case one end is wide open to the world.

It's the claim about the far end that looks potentially misleading:

... one-time or limited access to those files. With Send, you can feel safe that your personal information does not live somewhere in the cloud indefinitely. .... It also offers security controls that you can set. ....

Not an untruth, but neither is it the whole truth. As I said before, those claims rely on cooperation from your recipients.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » February 14th, 2020, 10:26 am

Often when I read something about the latest secure this or secure that I wonder why PGP hasn't seen wider use. I used to have it on my email client but since almost nobody else used it, it was of little use.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Good_Privacy

RC

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 14th, 2020, 10:40 am

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”