Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Public and private network settings, and mobile hotspot

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Public and private network settings, and mobile hotspot

Postby Jonetc15 » February 12th, 2020, 8:38 pm

I am the sole user of our home network and a bit unsure what setting to use in Windows 10. Am I right in thinking that opting for my home network to be 'public' my PC is in fact more secure than 'private'?

While I'm on this issue, I'm not sure whether I should do anything about a mobile hotspot - i.e. am I (with a BT Hub 5) likely to be offering to share my router with anyone else with a BT Hub?

Sorry if I haven't expressed myself clearly. Basically I'm asking if I need to alter any settings to make myself more secure. Guidance for a Win10 learner will be greatly appreciated.

Jon
P.S. I have various other problems, but I'll drip-feed them at intervals...

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: Public and private network settings, and mobile hotspot

Postby Breelander » February 12th, 2020, 8:54 pm

Jonetc15 wrote:I am the sole user of our home network and a bit unsure what setting to use in Windows 10. Am I right in thinking that opting for my home network to be 'public' my PC is in fact more secure than 'private'?

When set to Public, file, folder and printer sharing is turned off. If you want other PCs on your network to be able to access shares on your PC then set it to Private. Obviously you'd want to set it to Public when connecting to a public WiFi hotspot.

While I'm on this issue, I'm not sure whether I should do anything about a mobile hotspot - i.e. am I (with a BT Hub 5) likely to be offering to share my router with anyone else with a BT Hub?

BT Hubs have the ability to act as a public hotspot. This is completely independent and separate from your home network so there is no risk of anyone being able to see your machines. Also, this hotspot does not count towards your broadband usage. As a BT customer, if you allow your BT router to act as a hotspot, then you are entitled to free use of any BT hotspot while you are away from home.

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Re: Public and private network settings, and mobile hotspot

Postby Jonetc15 » February 13th, 2020, 8:43 am

Very many thanks Breelander for your reply, which allows me to take two queries off my list of matters that I need to ask about.

Most grateful

Jon

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”