Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Linux Updates

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Linux Updates

Postby GeoffF100 » September 15th, 2023, 7:33 am

Moderator Message:
This subordinate discussion arose from here.

Infrasonic wrote:https://chromeunboxed.com/google-adding-2-years-of-support-to-chromebook-expiration-date-aue/

...That means a decade of seamless updates are now scheduled for the newest devices currently available and new Chromebooks announced from this date forward; far more than any other operating system offers today....
Cont.

Not true of course. Linux offers updates for an unlimited period.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: Linux Updates

Postby Infrasonic » September 15th, 2023, 8:06 am

GeoffF100 wrote:
Infrasonic wrote:https://chromeunboxed.com/google-adding-2-years-of-support-to-chromebook-expiration-date-aue/

Cont.

Not true of course. Linux offers updates for an unlimited period.

Only any good if the hardware/firmware supports it which is not 100% with brand new or old PC's - hence purpose built Linux laptops et al which are very niche and represent a tiny fraction of overall sales...

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » September 15th, 2023, 9:57 am

Infrasonic wrote:
GeoffF100 wrote:Not true of course. Linux offers updates for an unlimited period.

Only any good if the hardware/firmware supports it which is not 100% with brand new or old PC's - hence purpose built Linux laptops et al which are very niche and represent a tiny fraction of overall sales...

You need to make sure that your machine is Linux compatible before you buy it. Most desktop machines will be, unless they are using very new technology and Linux has not yet caught up. WiFi is hit and miss, but WiFi adapters can be replaced. Laptops are much more likely to give problems, and there is less scope for fixing them.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » September 15th, 2023, 10:11 am

GeoffF100 wrote:
Infrasonic wrote:Only any good if the hardware/firmware supports it which is not 100% with brand new or old PC's - hence purpose built Linux laptops et al which are very niche and represent a tiny fraction of overall sales...

You need to make sure that your machine is Linux compatible before you buy it. Most desktop machines will be, unless they are using very new technology and Linux has not yet caught up. WiFi is hit and miss, but WiFi adapters can be replaced. Laptops are much more likely to give problems, and there is less scope for fixing them.

I've been using Linux for ten years. I use it daily on two machines, Ubuntu and Debian, from the command line...

There's a Why Linux? thread that stretches to 25 pages currently where you can discuss Linux to your heart's content. I'm one of the main contributors to that thread...viewtopic.php?f=39&t=237&start=480

This thread is about ChromeOS - as I put in the opening post I want to avoid off topic pedantic detours.
If you have any actual real world experience of ChromeOS or questions about ChromeOS Geoff feel free to contribute... :)

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » September 15th, 2023, 11:36 am

Infrasonic wrote:
GeoffF100 wrote:You need to make sure that your machine is Linux compatible before you buy it. Most desktop machines will be, unless they are using very new technology and Linux has not yet caught up. WiFi is hit and miss, but WiFi adapters can be replaced. Laptops are much more likely to give problems, and there is less scope for fixing them.

I've been using Linux for ten years. I use it daily on two machines, Ubuntu and Debian, from the command line...

There's a Why Linux? thread that stretches to 25 pages currently where you can discuss Linux to your heart's content. I'm one of the main contributors to that thread...viewtopic.php?f=39&t=237&start=480

This thread is about ChromeOS - as I put in the opening post I want to avoid off topic pedantic detours.
If you have any actual real world experience of ChromeOS or questions about ChromeOS Geoff feel free to contribute... :)

We are getting off topic. My point was simply that the claim that ChromeOS was the only OS that offered 10 year updates was incorrect.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » September 15th, 2023, 11:49 am

GeoffF100 wrote:
Infrasonic wrote:I've been using Linux for ten years. I use it daily on two machines, Ubuntu and Debian, from the command line...

We are getting off topic. My point was simply that the claim that ChromeOS was the only OS that offered 10 year updates was incorrect.

Your point was incorrect as ChromeOS is a hardware/OS solution in the same way as Apple products are and also how most PC's are designed to be compatible with Windows both at a hardware and firmware level (secure boot et al).

Don't try and use sophistry Geoff...

That's the end of the discussion - if you want me to get the thread trimmed by a mod back to an actual relevant post then so be it...

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » September 15th, 2023, 11:58 am

Infrasonic wrote:
GeoffF100 wrote:We are getting off topic. My point was simply that the claim that ChromeOS was the only OS that offered 10 year updates was incorrect.

Your point was incorrect as ChromeOS is a hardware/OS solution in the same way as Apple products are and also how most PC's are designed to be compatible with Windows both at a hardware and firmware level (secure boot et al).

Don't try and use sophistry Geoff...

That's the end of the discussion - if you want me to get the thread trimmed by a mod back to an actual relevant post then so be it...

Please refer to the quote in my original post. That was an on topic point of information. If you do not want off topic posts, why do you keep posting them?

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » September 15th, 2023, 1:38 pm

GeoffF100 wrote:You need to make sure that your machine is Linux compatible before you buy it. Most desktop machines will be, unless they are using very new technology and Linux has not yet caught up. WiFi is hit and miss, but WiFi adapters can be replaced. Laptops are much more likely to give problems, and there is less scope for fixing them.

I'm sorry for drifting off topic, but folks might enjoy this video, comparing the performance of a, to many peoples eyes, odd PC under windows and Linux.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydGdHjIncbk

Yes he did get windows to run, but couldn't get windows drivers for most hardware.

From one point of view it's the PC that's odd. From another, make sure that your machine is Windows compatible before buying.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”