Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Cheap VPS? Or something else ... ?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
mc2fool
Lemon Half

Cheap VPS? Or something else ... ?

Postby mc2fool » March 28th, 2020, 1:47 pm

I currently have a hosting packing with Tsohost. It was originally with 5quidhost, who were taken over by Tsohost a few years back.

What I have is a WHM "reseller" account with unlimited bandwidth and 1GB of disk space. I am my only customer and I have three domains under it, two mundane and one "commercial" (barely :D). I use http, ftp and imap/smtp on all. The "commercial" site (income by advertising) runs Perl scripts both as cgi and cron jobs, some of which run up to several minutes. Altogether between all domains I use about 5GB/month of bandwidth and around 500MB of disk space, neither of which is likely to grow, so we're not talking anything of a big scale here. The cost is £66/year (for the WHM account; domain registrations are extra of course).

This is all fine for my needs, or at least would be except for the occasional Tsohost messing about/cockup, and the bane of shared SMTP servers -- blacklisting.

So, my own IP would be good, but there's no way I can possibly justify spending £££s on a dedicated server, so a cheap VPS would seem to be the way to go. However, I'm not keen on a bare VPS where I have to install and/or configure everything. While I don't doubt I could, I just don't have any enthusiasm for the learning curve, and that also means I'm looking for one with pretty much the same as I have at the moment, cPanel, Apache, Linux, etc, and hopefully at a cost of not much more.

To be clear, I'm ok with doing configuration within WHM, cPanel, domain level .htaccess, etc but want to avoid having to do it at a system level, .conf files, etc.

So, anyone got any thoughts/suggestions?

BTW, in case anyone is thinking I should just change to other SMTP servers, that'd potentially be fine for email I send out from T'bird, but doesn't help for emails sent out by the cgi and cron jobs on my "commercial" site using sendmail.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: Cheap VPS? Or something else ... ?

Postby Infrasonic » March 28th, 2020, 3:47 pm

No experience but if you get anywhere with this I'd be interested in the process if you don't mind writing it up. VPS' are something I've been looking at lately.

HarryCat

Re: Cheap VPS? Or something else ... ?

Postby HarryCat » March 29th, 2020, 11:49 am

DigitalOcean may work for you as they have easily deployed instances.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”