Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Attn ReformedCharacter

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
PrincessB
Lemon Slice

Attn ReformedCharacter

Postby PrincessB » April 1st, 2020, 3:30 pm

From a previous thread, the processor in question is the AMD 3400g desktop chip.

That's the one, with Wraith Spire. I'd prefer not to have a separate graphics card. I ordered it from Scan and paid for it (£125), I note that the price has risen another £15 since then.

Also:
Gigabyte B450 AORUS Elite

16GB 3000MHz DDR4
1TB NVME
SSD Caddy and some 250GB SSDs

I might change my mind a little before I can actually get the CPU which should be in about 4 weeks. Comments welcome :)

RC

I'm not exactly self isolating, I've just done my back in. I can type, but I can't drive, hence time to formulate a reply.

Gigabyte B450 AORUS Elite

That's an interesting motherboard that looks like good fun to work with. Did you want something ATX sized with space for two graphics cards when you are planning on using the on processor graphics? ATX cases are usually more bulky than mATX units.

Aside from that the specifications look pretty amazing, so my own personal issue would be the physical size of the board.

16GB 3000MHz DDR4

I had a quick look at memory prices at different speed. Apparently Ryzen processors with on chip graphics have a sweet spot when the memory is dialed a little higher to 3200MHz. The price increase between 2x8GB modules at 3000 to a pair rated at 3200 is around £10. Even with four memory slots, I'd recommend 2x8 rather than 4x4 for your 16GB.

Final comments on the AMD 3400G processor and Wraith cooler.

My small form factor PC uses an Intel i3 8100 processor (4 cores @ 3.6GHz with Intel UHD630 graphics on chip) it's a nippy little machine for general office work. The AMD benchmarks as considerably faster while the VEGA11 graphics demolish Intels efforts. All in all a good choice.

There are some conflicting views on the thermal compound supplied with spire cooler. Some say it's great, others recommend cleaning the cooler and using a nano diamond compound instead.

Opinion is so divided that a best case scenario (assuming you're not going to try overclocking) is a 5ºC decrease in processor temperture and as the cores can throttle higher for longer, a 1% increase in performance. I'm firmly in the camp that thinks changing the thermal compound is a good idea.

While comparing apples to oranges, my old machine uses an Intel Xeon (4 core, 8 thread) with a speed rating of 3.7GHz lightly threaded down to 3.3GHz when all cores are loaded. To put things into perspective the largest AMD stock cooler is the Wraith Max with a 92mm fan, the aftermaket cooler on the Xeon has a 140mm fan, and of course nano diamond thermal paste.

The result is that even while using synthetic benchmarks, it is not possible to get the Xeon warm enough to throttle down to minimum speed - It just won't drop below 3.5GHz no matter what is thrown at it or for how long.

Just for pure pleasure of doing things differently, you'll find there are plenty of Wraith Max coolers on sites such as E-bay for under £20. The added bonus is an even quieter and cooler processor with a heatsink that's not much larger than the one it comes with.

Regards,

B.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”