Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Success with an old netbook

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Bminusrob
Lemon Slice

Success with an old netbook

Postby Bminusrob » April 4th, 2020, 9:38 am

Several years (7 or 8) ago, I bought a cheap netbook - a Packard Bell Dot S. It is based on an Intel Atom N570 processor with 2Gb of RAM and a 250Gb hard drive. It originally came with Windows 7, and worked acceptably for a few months, before slowing down to a crawl, and was put aside. Later I updated it to Windows 10, which proved to be even slower, and it was put aside again.

With time on my hands, with Coronavirus lockdown, and because the netbook hardware is really very sturdy, I thought I would see if I could make it usable again. So, I downloaded Lubuntu from my PC onto a memory stick, and installed it on the Dot S. Really very striaghtforward (barring the program which copies the .ISO onto the memory stick, which took four or five goes before it copied the file successfully). The result is a really good netbook, which I can use to surf the Internet and organise my digital photos.It even connects to my network printer, and has a word processor and spreadsheet application.

Good use of a couple of hours.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Re: Success with an old netbook

Postby GeoffF100 » April 4th, 2020, 4:25 pm

Bminusrob wrote:Really very striaghtforward (barring the program which copies the .ISO onto the memory stick, which took four or five goes before it copied the file successfully).

It is a real pain doing that from Windows. With Lubuntu, Xfburn will do the job very easily. Abiword and Gnumeric are both rubbish. LibreOffice is much better.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”