Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Nuisance Phone Calls

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: Nuisance Phone Calls

Postby Breelander » August 18th, 2020, 1:46 pm

Bouleversee wrote:How does that fit with the rule that a callable number must be displayed? ... the caller had withheld their number. I don't think that should be allowed and I don't think outgoing only numbers should be allowed.

As I understand it marketing calls are required to provide a number, but there are a number of legitimate reasons that a number may be withheld.

BT wrote:Does 'withheld' mean it could be a malicious or nuisance call?

No, not necessarily. There are a number of reasons why a caller might withhold their number:

- Not all phone lines are able to accept incoming calls (e.g. lines for outgoing calls only).
- A majority of ex-directory customers withhold their number to maintain their privacy.
- The caller may simply not wish to receive a return call (e.g. for a Samaritans volunteer working from home).
https://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/ans ... 3F/c/5113/

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » August 18th, 2020, 1:58 pm

In which case we haven't a hope in hell of stopping these fraudsters. You bet they want their privacy and that is far more important than our time, money and peace of mind. Pathetic.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » August 18th, 2020, 2:14 pm

My OH and I have recently had a couple of return calls from our local GP service, both arrived as 'WITHHELD'. I've just mentioned to them that they ought to provide a real return Caller ID. I've also had to complain in the past that return calls from the 111 service are marked as 'INTERNATIONAL'. Someone is being a bit slack configuring their VOIP I think.

RC

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » August 18th, 2020, 2:21 pm

All GP and I think also all hospital calls are "witheld" which is why one can't not answer any such calls if one has medical problems. I can't see why they need be but it is deliberate policy.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » August 18th, 2020, 3:00 pm

Bouleversee wrote:All GP and I think also all hospital calls are "witheld" which is why one can't not answer any such calls if one has medical problems. I can't see why they need be but it is deliberate policy.

No, not all GP calls are 'withheld', it seems that at my local practice that some of the outgoing calls that GPs make from their offices are, but when they are made from 'reception' they are not withheld. I had a fairly long correspondence with the Chief Executive of my local CIC (and their telephony providers) and she assured me that it was not a matter of policy but poor configuration by the VOIP provider. I think it is poor practise which is why I have brought it to their attention. They doubtless think I'm a pain but it is IMO a matter of public safety.

In my case, a couple of years ago, I had a fairly serious medical problem and the 111 service reply had an 'International' Caller ID and my 'phone system rejected it. Fortunately I realised - just in time - what was happening and disabled the block. The outcome for me could have been rather bad if I hadn't twigged in time.

RC

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » August 19th, 2020, 7:13 am

Bouleversee wrote:All GP and I think also all hospital calls are "witheld" which is why one can't not answer any such calls if one has medical problems. I can't see why they need be but it is deliberate policy.

In the past I was advised it was to protect patient privacy as there may be a household member who doesn't want other members of the household knowing that they are expecting a call from the GP surgery.

How does the GP surgery respond to someone who has called them back after receiving a missed call with the enquiry of "why did you call" if that person is not the one they needed to speak to, and the person they did want to speak to was to deal with an unplanned pregnancy, domestic violence, contraception, serious test results, etc.

It could have unknown implications if they disclose they were calling for another member of the household by declining to say who they were trying to reach, and naming who they were trying to reach might be even worse.

If my GP Surgery needs to speak to me then they just text me and ask me to call them, but even then since I have access to any test results through their website or the NHS App (https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/nhs-se ... e-nhs-app/) then I likely know what it is for.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » August 19th, 2020, 10:09 am

My GP surgery conducts appointments by telephone in the first instance. They insist on calling me (rather than me, them) at an appointment time and their call appears as "Number Withheld".

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » August 21st, 2020, 6:57 pm

The Bucks Free Press reported similar scam attempts in other areas of the county so I am not alone. Slightly different phone no., also going to music, and they were talking about pendants rather than watches but same charges.

https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/1 ... hone-scam/

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”