Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Why Linux?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Re: Why Linux?

Postby GeoffF100 » September 13th, 2020, 9:02 pm

Here is an interesting article recommending WiFi adaptors for Linux:

https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-li ... ter-linux/

The nuclear option appears to be the BrosTrend 1200Mbps Linux USB WiFi Adapter, but it is not cheap at £32.99.

I am thinking about moving my Linux PC downstairs, directly under the router. That may be no worse than locating it in the next room. I am using Ethernet currently.

I have been using the TP-LINK TL-WN725N (the cheapo option, recommendation number 4) for a few years. It is so tiny that it has no right to work at all. It worked for me out of the box. I used it from the next room, and put it in a USB hub so that I could place and point it accurately. I got 100% signal and 0% noise. Nonetheless, it sometimes dropped the connection. That seemed to be worse with some routers than with others.

The article gives a link to the source code for the Linux driver on GitHub. There have been updates to the driver that post date the Linux kernel that I am using (5.4.0-47-generic). Perhaps it will be worthwhile downloading, compiling and installing the latest driver version:

http://www.cse.iitd.ernet.in/~mittal/wifi.html

The relevant driver is rtl8188eu.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » September 14th, 2020, 8:34 am

There are cheaper Linux compatible BrosTrend WiFi adaptors, notably:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GC8XH0S/ref=emc_b_5_t

That one looks a good buy at £18.99. An interesting possibility is connecting to a Raspberry Pi via Ethernet and using the WiFi on that.

The link that I gave for installing the rtl8188eu driver is out of date. The web page for downloading all the Realtek drivers no longer exists. Here is another set of instructions:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1170202 ... untu-18-04

ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Postby ten0rman » September 14th, 2020, 5:16 pm

I've just tried Mint Mate 20 on an aging laptop. No problems except that it seemed slower than when it was running v18.1. I've now reverted to v18.1.

I also have an ageing Advent 9517 which has been setup with Mint Mate 20 for experiments. Unfortunately, after setting it up along with the transfer of all data on to it, I managed to set Timeshift going with the result that Timeshift has now locked up the computer. The problem is that in the past I have allocated 20GB to the root, with all remaining hard disk (many GB) being allocated to /home, and unfortunately, when I set Timeshift going, I managed to tell it to use the root partition - at least that what I think I did. I've tried to delete Timeshift, but to no avail - maybe I did something wrong - it's still locked up. It seems that Timeshift has taken all the spare space in the root partition, so much so that I suspect there is nothing left for me to do anything else. I've tried to 'SU' into the root to delete it, but all I get is password not accepted, or something. I've tried 'SUID' with the same result except that I KNOW that the password is correct. I'm now using GParted in an attempt to resize the two partitions hoping that in doing so I'll then be able to get in and delete Timeshift fully. If not, then it'll be a reload.

But it doesn't say much for v20 when this sort of thing can happen.

I've also read about Snap. I can't say that I'm exactly impressed: it does seem that Canonical is attempting to emulate other OS manufacturers and force users to either adopt their way or it's the highway. As an example, on Mint 18.1, I'm running a DOS program via DOSemu, and it does indeed work rather well. Much to my disgust, I found that DOSemu can no longer be downloaded via Package Manager, hence I cannot run my DOS program. Please don't suggest DOSbox - last time that gave three copies of the DOS program and wasn't very good, and Wine, back then simply refused to play. So, it looks to me that if Canonical have their way, I'll be reduced to either scrapping my DOS program or having to go delving deep into v.20 innards, which is not a pleasant thought.
I am considering transferring all the DOSEmu files and the DOS program files into v.20 when I get it up and running. It's an experiment, and whether it'll work or not I dunno. I know that a few years ago I was transferring some of these files from one machine to another, but the difference then was that DOSemu etc was actually working on both machines.

By the way, I do know about DOSemu2, but not how to use it. In any case, a brief look suggests that there are a lot of amendments to be done.

ten0rman

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » September 14th, 2020, 5:35 pm

ten0rman wrote:I've tried to 'SU' into the root to delete it, but all I get is password not accepted, or something. I've tried 'SUID' with the same result except that I KNOW that the password is correct. I'm now using GParted in an attempt to resize the two partitions hoping that in doing so I'll then be able to get in and delete Timeshift fully. If not, then it'll be a reload.

ten0rman

Have you checked the ownership of the Timeshift folder?

RC

ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Postby ten0rman » September 14th, 2020, 6:43 pm

No. I've picked up from somewhere that it is owned by root. The data that is being collected is owned by the user and I have been able to delete it in the past and I thought that's it job done. But wasn't! The problem is that once triggered, even though it's from a user, there doesn't appear to be any way of cancelling Timeshift without going into root & deleting the file found in root.

What I want to do, is to delete the data being stored and then prevent Timeshift from working at all. I don't need Timeshift - with a number of copies of data, and two or three more or less identical laptops, it's no big deal to reload the os (and data) if necessary. It's time consuming, especially when setting everything up, and hence a pain in the butt, but it's not difficult, but the time aspect is why I want to get shut of Timeshift if I can thus avoiding all that setting up etc.

ten0rman

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » September 14th, 2020, 7:55 pm

It is the way of he world that software becomes more and more resource hungry as time goes on. Xfce is less hungry than Mate, and is becoming hungrier at a slower rate. I did not find Xubuntu 20.04 slower to run than Xubuntu 18.04, and it booted faster. More features are being added to Mate, but there is a cost to that.

Timeshift is the same whatever the distribution. You can equally well mess up its settings with any of them.

Canonical is keen on snaps because they reduce the number of packages that Canonical has to maintain. Mint bans snaps by default. With Xubuntu, it is not difficult to tell whether a package is a snap before installing it. Chromium is the only big issue. It is only available as a snap (unless you want to compile it from source). I use Google Chrome, which is easily installed with a .deb package from the Google website. I do not know anything about DOSemu. I cannot find it with Synaptic, but you might be able to install it from a .deb package:

https://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/c ... ase/dosemu

You could try with a live USB, and see what happens.

formoverfunction
Lemon Slice

Postby formoverfunction » September 15th, 2020, 9:10 am

I've found it interesting your discussions about other distro's. I've been using Linux (and BSD) over a decade and besides a slight flirtation with Yellow Dog back in the day I've always used Debian, straight out of the tin Debian, as my daily drive.
- I do have a Puppy somewhere out there for emergency situations and my "travels".
I sort of like that it hardy ever changes.
I also have Raspian/Raspberry Pi running on my Pi's, but hey I use them mostly in cli.
Maybe when I'm not using Debian I have a hankering for a 4 legged friend! LOL
I had need to work with some old files yesterday and booted up my oldest computer and felt the embrace of an old friend....BeOS.
Any Be users out there? Mine's still running OK on my Power Macintosh 9600

ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Postby ten0rman » September 15th, 2020, 11:08 am

Geoff100,
I can understand that Canonical wishes to reduce its workload, but my understanding is that by doing so, Canonical is, nay already has, opened the door to preventing, or at least making it very difficult, for users like me to have a non-standard OS, eg as I've already said, DOSemu is no longer available via Package Manager. Now I do understand that the original DOSemu is abandonware and that no-one is maintaining it. Equally, the DOS program I'm running (Masterfile Professional (MPRO)) is also no longer supported, indeed I fancy I may be one of the few people actually running it as even the last attempt at a MPRO forum has gone dead. So, yes, there is an argument about should DOSemu be available via Package Manager? But, my impression, my understanding, of Linux is that one of its principles is that it is possible for users to have their own individual version of an OS. Which is why I want to use DOSemu & MPRO, and don't like the implication that Canonical is introducing. Indeed, taken to its extreme, I may as well go back to Windows (horror, shock, multipludinous howls of dismay!).

In respect of DOSemu2, I note that the driving force appears to be a desire to use WordPerfect (WP). Now I've never used WP so cannot say if it is any better than any other word processor, but at least someone is attempting to keep the ability to use DOS alive.

Back now to the Timeshift problem.

I have successfully deleted the Timeshift folder and its sub-folders and although I haven't yet tested it fully to see if any other damage has occurred, I'm moving on. What I did was this: My system has normally 20GB for the root partition, 2GB for the Swap file, and the remainder, about 120GB for the home folder or partition of which only about 60GB was in use. I used GParted to create 15GB spare at the beginning of the home folder, this requiring the movement of 60GB of data, then move the spare 15GB into the root partition after which I was able to get into the root partition using SUDO and delete the Timeshift folder. After that, it was a simple, if time consuming, matter to reverse the process. Perhaps not a procedure for widows & orphans - unless like me you have an experimental machine on which doesn't matter if things go pearshaped.

Incidently, ealier I said I tried to use SUID. There is, of course, no such command on my system: I meant SUDO.

Onwards & Upwards, as the saying goes.

ten0rman

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » September 15th, 2020, 1:38 pm

ten0rman wrote:Geoff100,
I can understand that Canonical wishes to reduce its workload, but my understanding is that by doing so, Canonical is, nay already has, opened the door to preventing, or at least making it very difficult, for users like me to have a non-standard OS, eg as I've already said, DOSemu is no longer available via Package Manager. Now I do understand that the original DOSemu is abandonware and that no-one is maintaining it. Equally, the DOS program I'm running (Masterfile Professional (MPRO)) is also no longer supported, indeed I fancy I may be one of the few people actually running it as even the last attempt at a MPRO forum has gone dead. So, yes, there is an argument about should DOSemu be available via Package Manager? But, my impression, my understanding, of Linux is that one of its principles is that it is possible for users to have their own individual version of an OS. Which is why I want to use DOSemu & MPRO, and don't like the implication that Canonical is introducing. Indeed, taken to its extreme, I may as well go back to Windows (horror, shock, multipludinous howls of dismay!).

As far as I can tell DOSemu is not available as snap either. As I have said, you may be able to install it from a .deb file. As you have said, the package is on its last legs anyway. You do not have to use Ubuntu, or one of its official flavours. You can use MInt, which is going its own way with regard to snaps, and has version derived directly from Debian. (The Debian project is a shambles according to Late Night Linux.) You can use a distro that is not derived from Ubuntu. Manjaro perhaps.

formoverfunction
Lemon Slice

Postby formoverfunction » October 11th, 2020, 9:27 am

System76?

I'm thinking of updating my hardware next year, my Macbook Pro would have reached 10 and I'm starting to worry about furure support etc. Although, it's still not giving me any issues and the small niggles I've had, have been dealt with via iFixit.

So, my plan:
I need a Mac os some kind as I still want to use iTunes (iTunes Match), but to be to fair I'm reaching the 25,000 max tracks, so I'm happy to switch to a Mac Mini - I've also been using Mac Os since the 9600 days. Moving away would be hard.
Replace my steam driven iPhone. I use mine more than anyone I know, but I've also got the olderst one!!
And this is the bit I'm a bit nervous about, replace years of using MacbookPro's/ PowerBooks with System76 Lemur Pro.

Any experience of using/buying System76 kit from the UK?

I guess the alternative might be to keep the MacBook, swap the DVD drive out and run it with 2 ssd and dual boot. I suppose that might be a cheaper option and make use of hardware that's not causing me any issue and just update the iPhone. Chance it out for longer. I could live in Linux/cli 90% of the time, but I've never really enjoyed managing my large music collection via iPhone/iPad, playing it is OK, mananging, not so much. I like iTunes/Match and have been using it since it's start and before that SoundJam. I haven't checked, but I'm guessing all those mp3 files would be north of of 100g without match. I do have them backed up on external drives.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 11th, 2020, 10:13 am

formoverfunction wrote:I guess the alternative might be to keep the MacBook, swap the DVD drive out and run it with 2 ssd and dual boot. I suppose that might be a cheaper option and make use of hardware that's not causing me any issue and just update the iPhone. Chance it out for longer. I could live in Linux/cli 90% of the time, but I've never really enjoyed managing my large music collection via iPhone/iPad, playing it is OK, mananging, not so much. I like iTunes/Match and have been using it since it's start and before that SoundJam. I haven't checked, but I'm guessing all those mp3 files would be north of of 100g without match. I do have them backed up on external drives.

Or buy a new Macbook Pro (and iPhone) and run Linux in a Virtual Machine? VM's are very handy, once you get used to them they are a bit addictive.
I think one of the reasons Macbook Pro's have been so popular with developers over the years is the multi OS VM aspect.

I'm running Linux in a container (skinny VM) on my Chrome OS Chromebook (it also has an Android container) and I'm now spending way more time on that combination than my W10 desktop, having been a Windows and occasional Linux (VM + live USB) person for years.

formoverfunction
Lemon Slice

Postby formoverfunction » October 11th, 2020, 10:42 am

I do alreay, I'm running Debian via SSH (X forwarding) and Pop! in VM from the Pro.

What I don't like about new MacBooks is inability to upgrade over it's life time. That's what just putting me off buying a new one, or waiting until the new ones come out.

You're right, in the past, it was the ability to run multiple OS that made Mac Pro's very good. Alongside the ability to ugrade RAM and HDD. Apple seem to dislike that more and more. System 76 appear, on the face of, support the concept of owned upgrade. I'm supportive of that, I don't want to replace a machine, just because I find I need more RAM after a few years. I believe the Lemur Pro supports a lot of RAM.

This one, as I say, allows me to use Debian (via SSH), OSX native, mac OS 8.8 via SheepSaver, Pop! OS via WM and when I bought it I bought the base model with the processor I wanted an upgraded RAM and hard drive as I needed it.

- I use SheepShaver to play the occasional game of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oDIG4RRcLM I still have the original version going and the original Shadow Warrior for Mac. LOL Apple removed native support of 8.6/9 a few years ago.

Happy were the days of BeOs, Yellow Dog and 8.6 on the same platform with ease! LOL

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 11th, 2020, 10:53 am

Yes, hardware upgradeability is an issue, not just with Macbook Pro's, it's general industry issue with the trend towards 'thin and light' with soldered components.

I'm not keen on it either for a serious laptop, I've been keeping tabs on factory return/refurb lightweight workstation/gaming level laptops for awhile now as they seem to be the only classes that have retained full upgrade paths.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 11th, 2020, 3:13 pm

ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:FWIW, my daughter has a Mac Book Pro I guess now about ten years old. It was a very good spec when she bought it, with a view to longevity. The strategy worked. About two years ago I fitted a Crucial SSD in place of the HDD. The MBP instantly got a new lease of life and is still in regular use. The SSD was simple to fit, cloning the HDD to it. There's lots of articles on line about how to do it. Given the low cost today of an SSD, it's a great upgrade when the rest of the hardware is still fine.

RVF

What's the situation with Mac OS + app. updates with hardware that old? I look after some W10 PC's that are 10+ years old, but in the past I remember being forced to replace my old single core AMD XP PC when it stopped upgrading Chrome browser due to hardware (CPU/chipset presumably) issues.

I'm on the latest W10, Linux (kernel) versions, Android 11 on my phone.
Quite a few security and other updates in those that I wouldn't want to be without in the current ransomware/malware/boot kit et al www wild west environment.

formoverfunction
Lemon Slice

Postby formoverfunction » October 11th, 2020, 6:29 pm

Infrasonic wrote:
ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:FWIW, my daughter has a Mac Book Pro I guess now about ten years old. It was a very good spec when she bought it, with a view to longevity. The strategy worked. About two years ago I fitted a Crucial SSD in place of the HDD. The MBP instantly got a new lease of life and is still in regular use. The SSD was simple to fit, cloning the HDD to it. There's lots of articles on line about how to do it. Given the low cost today of an SSD, it's a great upgrade when the rest of the hardware is still fine.

RVF

What's the situation with Mac OS + app. updates with hardware that old? I look after some W10 PC's that are 10+ years old, but in the past I remember being forced to replace my old single core AMD XP PC when it stopped upgrading Chrome browser due to hardware (CPU/chipset presumably) issues.

I'm on the latest W10, Linux (kernel) versions, Android 11 on my phone.
Quite a few security and other updates in those that I wouldn't want to be without in the current ransomware/malware/boot kit et al www wild west environment.

"What's the situation with Mac OS + app. updates with hardware that old? "

You can't load the most recent version of the OS, but they are still providing support and security updates. I've replaced the HDD, with SSD sometime ago. The general expectation is that Apple will keep providing security patches for at least another 2 years. If fact they did one yesterday, so far there's been nothing problematic about it being older kit. It's just you know when they reach 13, you are entering the difficult years...LOL

There are work arounds for installing the lastest version of the OS on anything back to the 2011 machines, but Apple try to discourage it.

There are some simple issues with old MacBooks. The power cable from the the motherboard to SSD gets damaged from the tiny irregularites on the inside of the aluminuim body. It's a know issue with age, but the cable is very easy to replace and is around £40, over time the screen hinges wear and need adjusting. Fiddley job, but in most cases that's all you need to do rather than replace them.

After you've swapped to SSD and maxed the RAM the last drops of life can be extended by replacing the DVD with SDD/caddy and running the machine with 2 drives. Keeping OSX on one drive and using the 2nd SSD (DVD caddy replacement) with Linux. Depending on SSD cost is just over £120. People do, because they are resilient machines.

Simple strategy, if the vendor stops providing updates, Linux might just get you a few more years. I could go out and buy a new one, but I'm just not that keen on the new models.

Hence my interest in System 76, in theory similar to Apple, OS designed with kit in mind, but they also allow an element of owner modification.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 12th, 2020, 1:11 pm

formoverfunction wrote:Hence my interest in System 76, in theory similar to Apple, OS designed with kit in mind, but they also allow an element of owner modification.

Yeah I linked to a System 76 review on here back in 2016. They alway appear in the 'best native Linux laptops' group reviews, but they are a bit chunky, large chassis/ bezels etc.

I've spent some time investigating https://doc.coreboot.org/ since I got my Chromebook, as it runs a Google fork.

I think some of the Linux boot and operational quirks can be traced to poor UEFI/ACPI implementation issues by the lazier OEM's (the technical documentation runs to thousands of pages).
https://www.uefi.org/specifications

This site is good for Linux hardware reviews and sniffing out why certain issues crop up.
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=home

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 16th, 2020, 1:27 pm

https://www.msweet.org/about.html
This site is the combined home of various projects created or maintained by me, Michael R Sweet. I am probably best known as the creator of CUPS, the de-facto standard printing system for Linux®, macOS®, and UNIX®. I have written several books and started, contributed to, and developed a lot of open source projects over the years. I was also involved in the creation of the Internet Printing Protocol, AirPrint™, IPP Everywhere™, IPP 3D, IPP-USB, Wi-Fi Direct Print Services, and many other printing standards.

I currently run a business with my wife called Lakeside Robotics developing AI for games and educational robotics products such as LEGO Mindstorms®. I am also the secretary of the PWG Internet Printing Protocol workgroup and one of two IETF designated experts for printing.

Prior to Lakeside Robotics I worked for Apple Inc. for almost 13 years developing printing software and standards on their behalf and serving as the PWG Chair for about half of that time. Apple was a great company to work for and I'm grateful for my time there...
Cont.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 20th, 2020, 2:09 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXidc8z ... oXw817%3A6
This is my list of Top 5 Raspberry pi projects I did for 2020! hope you enjoy and thanks for the view!

○○○ LINKS ○○○

Raspberry pi 4 azm ► https://amzn.to/35e2rqv

DeskPi Pro ► https://deskpi.com/

Esxi On Raspberry Pi ► https://youtu.be/f1e9SNnbU2c

Windows 10 on Rpi ► https://youtu.be/8j8CEMk-gYQ

Quad Sata NAS ► https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eix0P...

USB over Network ► https://youtu.be/gBCNLs_5pwM

Virtual HERE ► https://youtu.be/YsHzJHykxNA

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 20th, 2020, 4:53 pm

https://www.cnx-software.com/2020/10/20 ... ta-drives/
ODROID-HC4 low-cost dual NAS comes with 4GB RAM, supports 2.5-inch and 3.5-inch SATA drives
Cont.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 20th, 2020, 10:26 pm

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2020/10/mic ... first-look
...Being the impatient sort we installed the Microsoft Edge Developer build on Ubuntu 20.10. This post will stop short of being a “review” per se (you’ll hear throughout this post: this is not a stable build) but I’ve included lots of screenshots and some general thoughts about how well the browser integrates with the default Ubuntu desktops...
cont.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”