Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to mark88man,stirlo,johnstevens77,Rhyd6,87investor, for Donating to support the site

Why Linux?

Seek assistance with technology
Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Re: Why Linux?

Postby Snorvey » July 28th, 2020, 1:57 am

Never before having a problem with Linux Mint updates I now get

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

The problem is it doesn't let me run 'dpkg --configure -a' because (apparently) I'm not the administrator.

servodude
Lemon Quarter

Postby servodude » July 28th, 2020, 3:55 am

Snorvey wrote:The problem is it doesn't let me run 'dpkg --configure -a'

does it let you run:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

it will ask for your password

- sd

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » July 28th, 2020, 8:25 am

servodude wrote:

does it let you run:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

- sd

It did. And it worked. Thanks!

servodude
Lemon Quarter

Postby servodude » July 28th, 2020, 8:29 am

Snorvey wrote:
servodude wrote:

does it let you run:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

- sd

It did. And it worked. Thanks!

Great!

Think of it as Super User DO and use it when you need elevated access for a command
Welcome to the sharp tools

-sd

langley59
Lemon Slice

Postby langley59 » July 29th, 2020, 10:47 pm

I must say as a relatively new user of Linux (Mint 19.3 Cinnamon) there do seem to be an awful lot of updates (practically every day) versus Windows. I wonder why that is?

Urbandreamer
Lemon Slice

Postby Urbandreamer » July 29th, 2020, 11:31 pm

langley59 wrote:I must say as a relatively new user of Linux (Mint 19.3 Cinnamon) there do seem to be an awful lot of updates (practically every day) versus Windows. I wonder why that is?

It's odd, I don't notice that there are updates available, but then I don't check.

I'm old school, if it works, use it until it's not an issue to try a update. As I understand it Mint has something they call timeshift that makes it easy to restore to a previous change, but as I said, I predate such things.

On the subject of available changes every day, what do you expect with millions of developers? There WILL be something new every day. No need to take up the changes, unlike Windows.

Simply use a LTS (Long term Support) version and update every six months or so. After a few years try the new LTS version.

That is unless you want bleeding edge or are gameing, in which case you probably want a cutting edge or tweaked kernel.

BTW, you do know that you can make your own changes to the kernel/OS, compile and test, then suggest the changes don't you? I don't do so, but you might want to. Even if nobody else likes the changes, you can continue to use them. Try that with Windows!

That fact might just explain why there's something new almost every day.

langley59
Lemon Slice

Postby langley59 » July 30th, 2020, 12:27 am

Thanks for the reply Urbandreamer. I've been diligently installing the updates every day. I wonder if that's higher or lower risk than ignoring them?
PS. I'm not sure what you mean by using a long term support version?

servodude
Lemon Quarter

Postby servodude » July 30th, 2020, 12:58 am

langley59 wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by using a long term support version?

LTS versions are simply ones for which support ( bug/security patches) are guaranteed/promised for an "extended" period; with mint or ubuntu this is presently 5 years. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-term_support)

The only downside is that they might not get any new whizz bang features (or not as quickly as a bleeding edge version)
- sd

Urbandreamer
Lemon Slice

Postby Urbandreamer » July 30th, 2020, 1:14 am

langley59 wrote:Thanks for the reply Urbandreamer. I've been diligently installing the updates every day. I wonder if that's higher or lower risk than ignoring them?
PS. I'm not sure what you mean by using a long term support version?

Ok, most things Linux are NO risk. Your word processor and spreadsheet applications, your email or video/music player etc.

That's slightly different from what windows was. Windows has changed things since 7, to significantly improve security. They also introduced the idea of changing things.

Linux has ALWAYS been based on the idea that things change and hopefully improve. However unlike Win 10 you don't need to update if you don't want to. If there is a security issue, rare, but it has happened, then you can just update that part of the OS. Word processors and internet browsers were NEVER part of the OS or allowed to change your system.

Long term support is akin to Win 3.1, 95, NT4, Xp, CE, Vista, 7, 8 10. The people behind it promise to provide support to keep it working for a time.
If you load the updates, it won't change how it works or looks (unlike Win 10). If you want the latest version then you download that.

I suspect that users of Mint 18 LTS are still getting updates. It's Long Time Support!. They don't have to change what they have.

FWIW, I just checked, I have 309 packages to upgrade. Has it caused me a problem? No it hasn't. Shall I upgrade, well now I have checked, why not?
Many of them are stuff I rarely if ever use. Stuff installed with Mint assuming that I might like to do so.

Do you do much with python? It's one of the packages that I just updated.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » July 30th, 2020, 5:49 am

Mint updates are much less intrusive than Windows. I get no nagging messages, just type 'apt update; apt upgrade' when I think of it. It runs, rarely asking a question, and all continues as before. No reboots, demands to do things now or random powerups in the dead of night.

And I know few hackers are banging on Linux users door trying to get in.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » July 30th, 2020, 8:49 am

I am using the current Long Term Support version of Lubuntu (20.04). I get updates every few days. Some are updates to the operating system and others are updates to applications. Applications are not usually updated automatically on Windows. I count that as a plus for Linux. You can look and see what is to be updated before clicking the go ahead button if you feel so inclined. I just accept the updates. I have never had a any problems with updates on Lubuntu, Xubuntu or Ubuntu. The updates happen in the background. They do not take over you machine like they do with Windows. In most cases, a reboot is not required to activate the updates. If the Linux Kernel is updated a reboot is required. That can be avoided in some cases by using Live Patch, but I believe that you have to pay Canonical for that service.

langley59
Lemon Slice

Postby langley59 » July 30th, 2020, 9:04 am

Urbandreamer wrote:Do you do much with python? It's one of the packages that I just updated.

No not at all, I just use Linux as I did Windows.

stacker512

Postby stacker512 » July 30th, 2020, 9:56 am

GeoffF100 wrote:If the Linux Kernel is updated a reboot is required. That can be avoided in some cases by using Live Patch, but I believe that you have to pay Canonical for that service.

My experience is that a kernel update doesn't require you to reboot then and there - you continue to use your existing kernel image and modules until the next reboot. If you require any of the kernel updates (a specific bug fix or a feature) to be active, then sure, you would reboot. Otherwise it's going to be enabled on next boot by the simple fact that when you boot up, the kernel image is loaded up and the relevant modules are loaded.

(edit: you do have kexec, which allows you to load and boot a kernel image from an already running kernel image, but I've never tried it and not sure how many of the popular Linux distros use that feature as part of the kernel update mechanism)

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » July 30th, 2020, 10:34 am

stacker512 wrote:
GeoffF100 wrote:If the Linux Kernel is updated a reboot is required. That can be avoided in some cases by using Live Patch, but I believe that you have to pay Canonical for that service.

My experience is that a kernel update doesn't require you to reboot then and there - you continue to use your existing kernel image and modules until the next reboot. If you require any of the kernel updates (a specific bug fix or a feature) to be active, then sure, you would reboot. Otherwise it's going to be enabled on next boot by the simple fact that when you boot up, the kernel image is loaded up and the relevant modules are loaded.

(edit: you do have kexec, which allows you to load and boot a kernel image from an already running kernel image, but I've never tried it and not sure how many of the popular Linux distros use that feature as part of the kernel update mechanism)

Sorry, I did not make that clear. If you click the go ahead to a kernel update, an image of the updated kernel is created in the background, while you are running the system using the old kernel. If you then do a normal reboot, the system will use the new kernel image. The old kernel image is not deleted. If you get problems with the new kernel image, you can still boot with the old kernel image.

Mike4
Lemon Quarter

Postby Mike4 » July 30th, 2020, 12:06 pm

langley59 wrote:
Urbandreamer wrote:Do you do much with python? It's one of the packages that I just updated.

Interesting. Do programmes written for Windows run on Linux nowadays then?

I was under the impression there was no chance and if I were to use Linux I would have to find myself new image editing, video editing, website publishing and page layout software applications. Or maybe you don't those needs.

Does Zoom work ok on Linux?

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » July 30th, 2020, 12:35 pm

Mike4 wrote:
langley59 wrote:

I was under the impression there was no chance and if I were to use Linux I would have to find myself new image editing, video editing, website publishing and page layout software applications. Or maybe you don't those needs.

Have you actually read through this thread?
Over the years it's been updated with articles/videos and discussions about WINE (Windows apps running in Linux), Windows and Mac apps that have been ported to run natively on Linux (a load of them including many of the currently popular ones like Zoom, Skype, MS Teams et al), Linux app. alternatives to major Windows/Mac apps etc.
Last edited by Infrasonic on July 30th, 2020, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike4
Lemon Quarter

Postby Mike4 » July 30th, 2020, 12:49 pm

Infrasonic wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
langley59 wrote:No not at all, I just use Linux as I did Windows.

Have you actually read through this thread?
Over the years it's been updated with articles/videos and discussions about WINE (Windows apps running in Linux), Windows and Mac apps that have been ported to run natively on Linux (a load of them including many of the currently popular ones Like Zoom, Skype, MS Teams et al), Linux app. alternatives to major Windows/Mac apps etc.

I've been keeping a weather eye on it, yes. And yes I've seen WINE mentioned many times but never have I seen it spelled out what WINE actually is, and I've often wondered, just like much of the other reems of impenetrable jargon in this thread.

So thanks for that.

langley59
Lemon Slice

Postby langley59 » July 30th, 2020, 12:56 pm

Mike4 wrote:
langley59 wrote:

I should perhaps have been more explicit. I used to use Windows for Excel spreadsheets and internet browsing essentially. I now use Linux for Libre Office Calc spreadsheets and internet browsing. There are a few differeneces between the two spreadsheet packages but I can live with them.

The reason I changed was because my computer running Windows 7 crashed and I lost the hard drive. I bought a new computer with Windows 10 installed and found it incredibly slow, prone to freezing, wouldn't recognise my printer, etc. so much so that it became intolerable after just a few weeks. So I replaced the old hard drive in the old computer with a new SSD and downloaded Linux Mint 19.3 to see what it was like. I am very satisfied and aside from a few shortcomings of the spreadsheet package compared to Excel (in my opinion) it wins in every respect. NB I have kept the new Windows computer as a backup.

As for the imaging/video packages you use I can't say.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » July 30th, 2020, 1:18 pm

Mike4 wrote:Interesting. Do programmes written for Windows run on Linux nowadays then?

GIMP, VLC and audacity are all excellent multi-platform image, audio and video GUI apps. Your favourite apps might not be ported, but generally the quality of the free software on Linux is much better than Windows, as there is less attempt to monitise it.

The Linux command line tools seem much better if you are a power user.

Of course I know a lot less about Windows s/w as I hate the OS, and always look for Linux solutions rather than boot my Windows machine.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » July 30th, 2020, 1:52 pm

Mike4 wrote:Does Zoom work ok on Linux?

Yes:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articl ... m-on-Linux

RC

Return to “Computers, TVs & Phones”