Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

External HDD - what to do?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

External HDD - what to do?

Postby GrandOiseau » June 7th, 2020, 6:25 pm

I have a ~10 year old Panasonic TV.

It has the option of attaching via USB a HDD for recording and playback purposes. Back then it was something that would be useful to do. There was. however, a very restricted list of compatible HDD's - as I recall literally a couple. Others, it said may or may not work. One (almost the only) such option was a buffalo hd-e1.0tu2-uk. Which I due purchased. We've used it fairly infrequently in the last few months but recently when we did so the TV wouldn't see it. The device is still listed but if you try to access it to configure nothing happens.

I tried to plug into my PC and that doesn't recognise anything either. I've tried a different connecting cable but no joy. I don't have a different power cable but the device light is flashing so I don't think that is an issue. The device light flashing rather than staying on is perhaps an indicator of the drive itself being knackered.

So a few questions for the collective:

#1 Any reason not to think the drive inside is simply kaput?

#2 Anything else worth trying?

#3 Assuming it is #1 I presume it is not economic to repair?

#4 If yes to #1 and #3 , what can/should I do with it? What recycling options are there?

There is no sensitive or precious data on it - just a bunch of old TV programmes.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: External HDD - what to do?

Postby ReformedCharacter » June 7th, 2020, 6:48 pm

GrandOiseau wrote:I have a ~10 year old Panasonic TV.

It has the option of attaching via USB a HDD for recording and playback purposes. Back then it was something that would be useful to do. There was. however, a very restricted list of compatible HDD's - as I recall literally a couple. Others, it said may or may not work. One (almost the only) such option was a buffalo hd-e1.0tu2-uk. Which I due purchased. We've used it fairly infrequently in the last few months but recently when we did so the TV wouldn't see it. The device is still listed but if you try to access it to configure nothing happens.

I tried to plug into my PC and that doesn't recognise anything either. I've tried a different connecting cable but no joy. I don't have a different power cable but the device light is flashing so I don't think that is an issue. The device light flashing rather than staying on is perhaps an indicator of the drive itself being knackered.

So a few questions for the collective:

#4 If yes to #1 and #3 , what can/should I do with it? What recycling options are there?

There is no sensitive or precious data on it - just a bunch of old TV programmes.

The drive appears to contain an ordinary SATA disk and presumably a SATA to USB adaptor, does it look feasible to remove the disk and try another another? They're pretty cheap these days.

RC

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » June 7th, 2020, 7:42 pm

GrandOiseau wrote:I tried to plug into my PC and that doesn't recognise anything either. I've tried a different connecting cable but no joy...

By 'no joy' do you mean it does not appear in File Explorer? Or that it doesn't even show up on the taskbar as a usb device that has been connected (with a usb icon for ejecting it)?

It is a perfectly standard USB2 device that should be recognised when plugged into a PC. If you plugged it into a USB3 port, try again in a USB2 port.

Look in Device Manager. Does it appear in the 'Disk drives' section? If not, is there an unknown usb device (with a yellow warning triangle) under 'Universal Serial Bus controllers'? For an 'unknown device' try unplugging it and then try another usb port.

If it shows correctly in Device Manager, open Disk Management. It should appear as another disk there. Does the partition say its healthy? Does the partition have a drive letter? If not, right-click on the partition and give it a drive letter, it requires one before you can see it in File Explorer.

If after my suggestions above there's still 'no joy' then something is kaput, but not necessarily the drive itself. It could be the usb cable or the controller inside the external box, it may even be that the connections just needed reseating. The drive itself should be a standard SATA 3.5" WD Green drive. you could take it out and try installing it in a desktop PC. This video has German commentary, but you don't need to know German, the video shows how to dismantle a Buffalo HD-E1.0TU2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_azWZPwsj4

No, not economic. The most cost-effective solution is to replace it with a modern 2.5" external USB3 HDD. They've come down in price a lot since you bought that one.
Not only that, but they are more convenient, they get their power from the usb port and don't need a separate power supply.

Waste electrical items are covered by the WEEE directive and must be recycled properly. Your local council may collect waste electrical equipment as part of their household waste collection, you can check that here: https://www.gov.uk/recycling-collections

If not, you should take it to your local household recycling centre which will definitely be able to accept it.

Garless
2 Lemon pips

Postby Garless » June 7th, 2020, 11:30 pm

Breelander wrote:
GrandOiseau wrote:I tried to plug into my PC and that doesn't recognise anything either. I've tried a different connecting cable but no joy...

By 'no joy' do you mean it does not appear in File Explorer? Or that it doesn't even show up on the taskbar as a usb device that has been connected (with a usb icon for ejecting it)?

It is a perfectly standard USB2 device that should be recognised when plugged into a PC. If you plugged it into a USB3 port, try again in a USB2 port.

Look in Device Manager. Does it appear in the 'Disk drives' section? If not, is there an unknown usb device (with a yellow warning triangle) under 'Universal Serial Bus controllers'? For an 'unknown device' try unplugging it and then try another usb port.

If it shows correctly in Device Manager, open Disk Management. It should appear as another disk there. Does the partition say its healthy? Does the partition have a drive letter? If not, right-click on the partition and give it a drive letter, it requires one before you can see it in File Explorer.

If after my suggestions above there's still 'no joy' then something is kaput, but not necessarily the drive itself. It could be the usb cable or the controller inside the external box, it may even be that the connections just needed reseating. The drive itself should be a standard SATA 3.5" WD Green drive. you could take it out and try installing it in a desktop PC. This video has German commentary, but you don't need to know German, the video shows how to dismantle a Buffalo HD-E1.0TU2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_azWZPwsj4

No, not economic. The most cost-effective solution is to replace it with a modern 2.5" external USB3 HDD. They've come down in price a lot since you bought that one.
Not only that, but they are more convenient, they get their power from the usb port and don't need a separate power supply.

Waste electrical items are covered by the WEEE directive and must be recycled properly. Your local council may collect waste electrical equipment as part of their household waste collection, you can check that here: https://www.gov.uk/recycling-collections

If not, you should take it to your local household recycling centre which will definitely be able to accept it.

Do NOT take to a recycle point unless you know it is factory level cleared. If if doubt a hammer is a best security

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » June 8th, 2020, 12:14 am

When USBed into the PC the PC doesn't register it at all. Doesn't appear in File Explorer or in Device Manager.

I took out the case as per that video and reseated - and plugged into PC - still no dice.

I guess if I had a SATA adapter or external drive case I could bypass the box controller but what are the chances of a problem there.

I could buy another drive but that is still going to be £30 odd from what I can see. And I am not sure with all the catch up channels and Netflix and youtube that I really need a recording box.

Mmmmm...

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » June 8th, 2020, 12:15 am

Garless wrote:Do NOT take to a recycle point unless you know it is factory level cleared. If if doubt a hammer is a best security

I have no concerns about the contents. It's just old TV programmes.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » June 8th, 2020, 12:54 am

GrandOiseau wrote:When USBed into the PC the PC doesn't register it at all. Doesn't appear in File Explorer or in Device Manager.

I took out the case as per that video and reseated - and plugged into PC - still no dice.

I guess if I had a SATA adapter or external drive case I could bypass the box controller but what are the chances of a problem there...

Do you hear the drive spin up when you power up the box? If not, it may well be the drive itself that's at fault. If it does spin up, then a SATA adapter may be worth trying.

If it doesn't spin up...

well...

... as a (very) last resort there's an old trick to release a seized up bearing or stuck heads (this can happen if left unused for some time). Take a small hammer and give it a sharp tap on the edge of the drive, or slap it onto the table a couple of times. Kill or cure! :twisted:

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » June 8th, 2020, 10:22 am

I hear no spinning.

Might give it a knock or two later to see if I can revive it.

Otherwise will have to look at recycling options I guess or stump up for a new disk.

Thing is we have "Youview" box which we can use to record stuff if needs be so maybe I'll just kiss it off.

Printer issue is probably more urgent! But that's another thread....

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » June 8th, 2020, 11:02 am

If you plug it into a PC/laptop does the laptop/PC recognise it ? that would cover off power/disk concerns maybe (or complicate them if the PC/laptop doesnt recognise it! LOL)

Sorry - seen GO has already talked about this.

I guess you are either going to have to bin it or buy a new usb concertor cable to test it. Got any other drives you can connect to test it (preferably known working ones) ?

didds

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » June 8th, 2020, 11:39 am

How big is this drive GO?

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » June 8th, 2020, 2:11 pm

didds,

Unfortunately I have no other drive to test with.

It's a 1TB drive.

My wife has instilled in me the desire to try hard to fix things rather than just binning them. And to be fair to her we/she has had a few good results in doing this. Equally there are some occasions when we/she has to accept the inevitable.

GO

cinelli
Lemon Slice

Postby cinelli » June 8th, 2020, 2:45 pm

GrandOiseau wrote:I could buy another drive but that is still going to be £30 odd from what I can see.

If you are looking to buy a drive just for testing, you don't need to pay as much as £30. You can buy one from CEX for as little as 75p (yes, really). This would probably be one of those occasions where the postage is more than the product.

Cinelli

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » June 8th, 2020, 4:01 pm

GrandOiseau wrote:didds,

Unfortunately I have no other drive to test with.

PM'd you

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » June 8th, 2020, 4:58 pm

cinelli wrote:
GrandOiseau wrote:I could buy another drive but that is still going to be £30 odd from what I can see.

If you are looking to buy a drive just for testing, you don't need to pay as much as £30. You can buy one from CEX for as little as 75p (yes, really). This would probably be one of those occasions where the postage is more than the product.

Not the WD Green 1TB that is almost certainly what GO has at present. They seem to start at £15

https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?id= ... .5%22-sata (not in stock at present)

There's a WD Blue 1TB in stock at £18 though.

https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?id= ... .5%22-sata

Disclosure: one of my laptops is running on a 320GB 2.5" drive from CEX, about £5 if I remember correctly.

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » August 2nd, 2020, 3:22 pm

Seems that both the drive and the Buffalo caddy are toast.

I purchased a new hard drive enclosure. The HDD that didds sent me works perfectly in it. But my drive doesn't register at all and I hear nothing from it.

If I put didds drive into the Buffalo caddy and usb that to the PC I get nothing.

Seems odd that the Buffalo caddy and HDD failed simultaneously. Or maybe not?

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”