Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Giving my old iPad to a friend

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
WrenChasen
2 Lemon pips

Giving my old iPad to a friend

Postby WrenChasen » November 8th, 2016, 5:29 pm

As the title says, really. I'm upgrading my iPad and giving mine to a friend who can ill-afford any sort of tablet.

Can anyone tell me, please, how to upload my friend's email account to my iPad?

genou
Lemon Quarter

Re: Giving my old iPad to a friend

Postby genou » November 8th, 2016, 6:05 pm

WrenChasen wrote:As the title says, really. I'm upgrading my iPad and giving mine to a friend who can ill-afford any sort of tablet.

Can anyone tell me, please, how to upload my friend's email account to my iPad?

Google "factory reset iPad" - this will remove your account ( and will kill all the data on the machine ). Which you should really do before giving it away.

Then you can set the machine up as your friend's from scratch.

WrenChasen
2 Lemon pips

Postby WrenChasen » November 8th, 2016, 7:06 pm

Thank you.

I know I'm being really dumb :roll:, but to set up the iPad from scratch is it just a case of going into settings and entering her email address?

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » November 8th, 2016, 8:13 pm

WrenChasen wrote:Thank you.

to set up the iPad from scratch is it just a case of going into settings and entering her email address?

I don't believe so; I think you reset it, and then it will begin again with all the settings - language / region / wi-fi etc.....

Garless
2 Lemon pips

Postby Garless » November 8th, 2016, 8:58 pm

genou wrote:

to set up the iPad from scratch is it just a case of going into settings and entering her email address?

I don't believe so; I think you reset it, and then it will begin again with all the settings - language / region / wi-fi etc.....

Depends on how your friend accessed her email account. If like Gmail it has a web interface you need to just save a link in her favourite browser. If using pop or imap in a mail system you need to find the configuration details from the mail provider.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » November 8th, 2016, 11:14 pm

Garless wrote:
genou wrote:

Depends on how your friend accessed her email account. If like Gmail it has a web interface you need to just save a link in her favourite browser. If using pop or imap in a mail system you need to find the configuration details from the mail provider.

I inherited an iPad from my son (an upgrade junkie ;) ) and we did a factory reset which was easily located in the general settings somewhere.

Setting up email was a piece of cake; knowing settings wasn't necessary as all the settings for all the usual email providers were already pre-programmed in. It was more or less a matter of simply entering the email address and password and it did the rest.

But a factory reset is definitely the way to go, then your friend is getting an iPad which will behave as if brand new.

WrenChasen
2 Lemon pips

Postby WrenChasen » November 9th, 2016, 9:24 am

Thank you all for your very useful responses.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”