Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Delivery Incomplete

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
dragnips
Lemon Pip

Delivery Incomplete

Postby dragnips » July 1st, 2020, 3:24 pm

I've received 3 of the messages below in the last 2 days. They refer to an email I sent to 3 recipients on 19/02/20 - what's going on?
Delivery incomplete
There was a temporary problem while delivering your message to xxxxxxxxx.com. Gmail will retry for 22 more hours. You'll be notified if the delivery fails permanently.
The response from the remote server was:
421 4.2.0 MXIN615 Your Date Header is too far in the past ;id=qdY2jZuwfft1hqdY2jIDnD;sid=qdY2jZuwfft1h;mta=mx1.tb;dt=2020-07-01T16:17:14+02:00;ipsrc=209.85.128.50;

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: Delivery Incomplete

Postby Breelander » July 1st, 2020, 3:51 pm

dragnips wrote:I've received 3 of the messages below in the last 2 days. They refer to an email I sent to 3 recipients on 19/02/20 - what's going on?

The response from the remote server was:
421 4.2.0 MXIN615 Your Date Header is too far in the past....

It may being blocked at the receiving end as possible spam, based on the date in your sent email's header.

Check that the system time on your PC is correct. If it is, then look in your 'Sent' box and see if you can look at the raw header of the sent email (don't know if you can do that in Gmail, I can in Yahoo Mail). Look at the 'Sent' date in its header. If that's correct too then there may be a misconfiguration on the receiving server (wrong date?).

If you do find a wrong date at your end, then correct it and send the email again.

In general, a 421 error is a problem at their end, not yours. It may resolve itself in due course.

421 The service is unavailable due to a connection problem: it may refer to an exceeded limit of simultaneous connections, or a more general temporary problem.
https://serversmtp.com/smtp-error/

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 1st, 2020, 4:19 pm

dragnips wrote:I've received 3 of the messages below in the last 2 days. They refer to an email I sent to 3 recipients on 19/02/20 - what's going on?

So you've had it in your outbox since February and you've only just got round the actually sending it? Or did it go out in February, and do you happen to know if it's already been received, e.g. by a reply from one of the recipients?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 1st, 2020, 4:27 pm

Back in the bad old days of BT Yahoo, I had that happen a couple of times. Quite often, my original message had got through OK, but the system had decided to mark it as undelivered and had sent it again, months later.

The most plausible explanation I ever had for it was that some sort of a glitch had occurred while the provider was switching over to a backup server. That was with a POP3 account.

BJ

dragnips
Lemon Pip

Postby dragnips » July 1st, 2020, 6:15 pm

mc2fool wrote:

So you've had it in your outbox since February and you've only just got round the actually sending it? Or did it go out in February, and do you happen to know if it's already been received, e.g. by a reply from one of the recipients?

I made a mistake with the date - it was actually 10/02/19 when it was sent. No, it hasn't been sitting in my outbox. I've sent several emails to the same recipients in the past 18 months, I can only assume they've been received. They were not the sort of emails that warranted replies.

Incidentally, I've just received another delivery incomplete message in the last hour (same recipient)

My system clock is correct.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 1st, 2020, 6:46 pm

Slightly O/T, but my wife has had to be dissuaded from writing emails with the title "Hello", because so many of them were getting sent straight to junk. It seems to be a favourite among spammers. :roll:

BJ

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » July 2nd, 2020, 10:44 am

If it's business critical email you can get delivered/read receipt tracking add ons for Gmail/G Suite.

I've got it on my Gmail business address associated with my business domain email. They tend to have a variable free trial period after which some of the more useful features start to be deprecated.

In this particular case I wouldn't worry about it too much, it will probably sort itself out whenever what is currently misconfigured at the server end is fixed. If it carries on or escalates maybe look at alerting the relevant parties.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”