Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

What to look for in a laptop?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: What to look for in a laptop?

Postby Infrasonic » July 2nd, 2020, 10:29 am

This will give you an idea of 'good prices' v specs...https://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/laptop-hot

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » July 2nd, 2020, 11:00 am

Just over a year ago I was looking.

My spec at the time was:

Standard clamshell type > Lot's of different options these days but after a lot of reading I came to the conclusion I just needed standard
Windows
15.6" screen
Intel Core i5-8xxxxx > I did a fair bit of research on this as it's important for performance
8Gb RAM > again, performance
~250 SSD > I have a main PC where all videos, photo's are stored
Full HD 1920 x 1080 screen

It's NOT primarily going to be a gaming machine but will be used to watch online videos, TV and the like - aswell as the standard stuff - browsing, office apps.

Some that fit this spec get described as "business" laptops which kind of puts me off... but I'm not sure legitimately. I kinda want something with a bit of panache.

Want it to be quiet and cool. Not super portable, I won't generally use it on a train/plane but will carry it around the house or take it on our travels.

Not sure of budget... maybe £700/£800 but can be influenced down/up...!

In the end I bought a Lenovo Ideapad 330s spec of:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-8250U (1.6 GHz)
Operating System: Windows 10 Home (64 bit)
Display Type: 15.6" Full HD (1920x1080) IPS AntiGlare 250Nit
Memory: 8GB (2x4GB DDR4)
Storage: 256GB SSD
Optical Drive: No ODD
Warranty: One year Depot or Carry-in
AC Adapter: 65W
Graphics: Intel® UHD Graphics 620
Battery: Up to 6 hours
Camera: HD 720p Camera
Pointing Device: ClickPad
Wireless: 802.11 AC 1x1 Wireless / Bluetooth Version 4.1

For £479 direct from Lenovo.

It's been very well behaved. Very quick and quiet. No complaints so nearly one year on.

Any questions fire away....

formoverfunction
Lemon Slice

Postby formoverfunction » July 3rd, 2020, 8:41 am

I have to say I'm craving a ThinkPad, but just not Windows 10.

My MacBook Pro hits 10 early next year and is still going strong. I've made the usual upgrades to SSD, RAM and replacing the batterry and HD cable , just the hinge covers and a good clean of the fan on the horizon. :shock: Not looking forward to replacing that hinge cover!

It works perfectly well in combination with X forwarding and a headless Linux machine.

For me, longevity is an important part of my choice. 10 years is a good expectation. I have a friend who's everyday drive is an even older ThinkPad. I'm hoping to keep the MacBook a few more years, but I've started looking at replacemts. The ThinkPad is very high on my list.

It's not so much that I don't like spending money, or change, but more once I've configured a machine I don't like going throught the process every couple of years. Anyone have any experience in migrating from OX 10 to Linux on a ThinkPad?

Keeping a ThinkPad for a long time? is 10 years a long time for a laptop?

Do Lenovo ship with anything, but Windows? I seem to think they do in the US, but not the UK?

Anyway, back to my '96 BeOs box to listen to this morning's podcasts. Maybe I do like getting value for money LOL.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » July 3rd, 2020, 9:46 am

formoverfunction wrote:I have to say I'm craving a ThinkPad, but just not Windows 10.
Do Lenovo ship with anything, but Windows? I seem to think they do in the US, but not the UK?

Most ThinkPads (NOT Ideapads) are very happy running Linux (no good for the OP).

My home "daily driver" is a ThinkPad X230 that I got off ebay with no hard drive for £49.
Every so often businesses replace their "business" computers and machines with no HD flood the market.

I fitted a SSD and installed Linux Mint.
It's great and unexpectedly turned up with a carrying case!

Sadly I do occaisionally need to use the odd Windows app. My solution was to replace the GSM modem with a solid state disk and put windows 10 on that.
The machine is dual boot, but I only use Windows on it once in a blue moon.

One point, already made in the thread, is that ips displays are a lot better than the older type. You may have to comprimise if buying as old a ThinkPad as me. Alternatively a second hand X1 carbon would probably last far into the future.

Quick guide:
Download a version of linux and ethier burn to a DVD using USB drive or create a bootable USB stick using something like etcher.
Ensure that doner machine will boot from USB device and fit/change hard drive (you may need to change the BIOS settings).
Boot from USB device and install.

Simples!

formoverfunction
Lemon Slice

Postby formoverfunction » July 3rd, 2020, 10:07 am

Thanks, I might keep an eye on ebay. If I can pick one up on the cheap even better.

As I say, the MacBook isn't giving me any problems at the moment, so no great rush. I can wait for something to come along ;)

I've considered doing the same with the MacBook Pro. If I change the hinge cover replace the DVD drive with another SSD and run Linux as the main OS, but keep the OSX for updates etc at the same time. I know some people do that and then run the drives in RAID (same OS).

I haven't used a Window machine for over a decade, so no great need for that.

Plenty to think about. I might just get o with the "de-fluff" this weekend. LOL.

Cheers.

Gostevie
2 Lemon pips

Postby Gostevie » August 5th, 2020, 1:53 pm

swill453 wrote:To quickly answer your other questions - 8GB RAM minimum and probably not worth getting more for your needs, and a 256GB or 512GB SSD.

Scott.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread that went a bit off topic at the time but do people who are more IT literate than me (almost everybody) agree with Scott's advice here please?

I intend to buy a new laptop and am planning to go to PC World on Oxford Street on Friday to do so.

To clarify, I will soon be working from home as a charity fundraising consultant and need Windows Office, email and internet access via BT Wi-FI, to which I subscribe. I have no need for advanced graphics for gaming etc.

Many thanks,

Steve

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » August 5th, 2020, 2:32 pm

I've done a filtered PC World list here for laptops/2 in 1's under £499 -- Windows 10 home -- Gen 8-10 Intel CPU i3/5 or AMD Ryzen 3/5 (better graphics) -- 8GB RAM --SSD--
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing ... teria.html

There's 13 listed, have a look and when you have a play on Friday Google any you particulary like the feel of, see what the online reviews are like, see if there's any decent discount available, pull the trigger!

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » August 5th, 2020, 3:12 pm

Set an online account up with them as well, as there's a good chance you'll find something you like and they'll only have the display model left, which they won't sell you!
It's happened to me the last two times I've bought heavily discounted PC's from them, I just logged in to my account on my phone instore and ordered them click and collect for delivery/collect the next day.

Try and go in during the day when the full time adults who know something are working, they tend to have know nothing kiddies working the late opening and weekend shifts, avoid...

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » August 5th, 2020, 5:45 pm

Infrasonic wrote:I've done a filtered PC World list here for laptops/2 in 1's under £499 -- Windows 10 home -- Gen 8-10 Intel CPU i3/5 or AMD Ryzen 3/5 (better graphics) -- 8GB RAM --SSD--
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing ... teria.html

There's 13 listed, have a look and when you have a play on Friday Google any you particulary like the feel of, see what the online reviews are like, see if there's any decent discount available, pull the trigger!

Personally I would want to get a 15.6" screen rather than 14 which got it down to 4.

And if I take SSD minimum as 256GB and the i5 processor over the i3 (both reasonable decisions I would argue) I am left with one:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing ... 1-pdt.html

Unfortunately this review says it's really sh!t:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing ... ptop-bust/

Gostevie
2 Lemon pips

Postby Gostevie » August 5th, 2020, 9:40 pm

Infrasonic wrote:
Try and go in during the day when the full time adults who know something are working, they tend to have know nothing kiddies working the late opening and weekend shifts, avoid...

So true! Thanks.

Thanks also to everybody for the really helpful advice. I'll head to PC World in Oxford Street, put on a face nappy, and see what they can do for me on Friday.

Gostevie

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”