Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Computer chair

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Computer chair

Postby Jonetc15 » July 2nd, 2020, 4:29 pm

I'm looking for a computer chair that is durable and - above all - gives good lumbar support for my back. It may be used for two or three hours a day. I've spent ages looking on Amazon, but as a great believer in personal recommendations I'll be most grateful for any suggestions. Price up to (say) £150, but more if strongly recommended.

TIA

Jon

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Re: Computer chair

Postby Redmires » July 2nd, 2020, 4:51 pm

After trying a couple of cheap and cheerful chairs I bought this. Had it for 3 years now and still find it very comfortable. The reviews of it mirror my own experience. Ok, it's Costco and you have to be a member and it's out of stock at the moment but similar chairs may be available elsewhere.

https://www.costco.co.uk/Business-Offic ... r/p/254575

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 2nd, 2020, 5:26 pm

More than 30 years ago, I spent £300 on a whizzbang top-notch chair from a top-end supplier, but it wasn't really a patch on what I got from Viking for £150 or so after the gas lift on the first one had failed. (Currently £200 including the VAT, https://www.viking-direct.co.uk/en/offi ... -p-4862637

Lumbar support and seat backward/forward tilt are the two things that many people forget to ask about, but they do make a heck of a difference. Not everybody wants armrests, but I love mine - you can usually get the same seat without armrests if you don't.

There are quite a lot of so-called operators' chairs, which lack a lot of the adjustment and generally aren't so comfortable about your posterior. A properly featured ergonomic chair will be well worth the extra. Be aware that anything with castors can be hard on your carpets, though - I have mine on a protective square of "office carpet", which is cheaper/tougher than the average household variety!

BJ

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » July 2nd, 2020, 5:43 pm

Also, be aware of the correct height of the chair wrt the desk and of legs. I spent decades laughing at the emails and courses we got at work about ergonomics, until one day I actually took it seriously and noticed a big difference. It's also one of those things that some piano teachers don't stress enough. With upper arm vertical, forearms, when horizontal, should be at least in line with the desk, or slightly above. It's surprising how many people don't realise this, then complain of aches and pains. You should be looking down at the monitor. Most people sit far too low down.

Then of course, you get into the right sort of glasses to wear, which I won't go into, at least not till a certain branch of Specsavers has been utterly obliterated in a particularly painful way. :-)

Steve

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”