Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Restoring Face Time icon

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Restoring Face Time icon

Postby Jonetc15 » July 7th, 2020, 3:44 pm

I've been clumsy and somehow deleted the Face Time icon from the Home page. I can make calls by going into my Contacts and tapping the call/video to the contact and I can receive calls. But please can someone very kindly tell me how to restore the Face Time icon. I've also mislaid my four digit pass code... Hope I don't need it.

TIA

Jon

Hypster
Lemon Slice

Re: Restoring Face Time icon

Postby Hypster » July 7th, 2020, 4:16 pm

Hi Jon,

Search for FaceTime in the App Store and click the cloud icon to re-download it to your device.

kyu66
2 Lemon pips

Postby kyu66 » July 7th, 2020, 4:23 pm

Jonetc15 wrote:I've been clumsy and somehow deleted the Face Time icon from the Home page. I can make calls by going into my Contacts and tapping the call/video to the contact and I can receive calls. But please can someone very kindly tell me how to restore the Face Time icon. I've also mislaid my four digit pass code... Hope I don't need it.

Do you mean the main home page (lots of icons) or the dock at the bottom of the home page (4 icons max)?

Either way it is possible you have inadvertently dragged it to another page. Swiping left and right shows you the other pages. You may also have moved it inside another group (icons within a bounding icon).

If you find it, press and hold until the icons jiggle then drag to the home page and arrange as necessary.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/i ... ece7dd/ios

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » July 7th, 2020, 4:52 pm

Jonetc15 wrote:I've also mislaid my four digit pass code... Hope I don't need it.

Which four digit passcode? Depending what you are referring to it might be an idea to find it pronto or take precautionary measures so that it doesn't cause you grief if/when you need it.

GS

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Postby Jonetc15 » July 14th, 2020, 7:14 pm

Hypster wrote:Hi Jon,

Search for FaceTime in the App Store and click the cloud icon to re-download it to your device.

Hi Hypster

Many thanks for your suggestion. I’m in the embarrassing position of forgetting my Apple ID. This has got me in a tangle. Meanwhile, I can still use FaceTime, going to My Contacts and clicking on the video icon. I keep on meaning to tackle the ID problem, but I made a mess of it and then other priorities seemed to crop up… From my low-level of IT competence it seems best not to try immediately to download FaceTime again while I can still access it.

Jon

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Postby Jonetc15 » July 14th, 2020, 7:16 pm

kyu66 wrote:
Jonetc15 wrote:I've been clumsy and somehow deleted the Face Time icon from the Home page. I can make calls by going into my Contacts and tapping the call/video to the contact and I can receive calls. But please can someone very kindly tell me how to restore the Face Time icon. I've also mislaid my four digit pass code... Hope I don't need it.

Do you mean the main home page (lots of icons) or the dock at the bottom of the home page (4 icons max)?

Either way it is possible you have inadvertently dragged it to another page. Swiping left and right shows you the other pages. You may also have moved it inside another group (icons within a bounding icon).

If you find it, press and hold until the icons jiggle then drag to the home page and arrange as necessary.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/i ... ece7dd/ios

Very many thanks indeed kyu66. I really appreciate your time and trouble, yet again, trying to help me and apologise for the delay in replying. What to virtually everyone else seems very straightforward often baffles me.

I used to have the FaceTime icon at the top of the various icons on the Home page (and in the Dock at the bottom of the page). I find that in my Shortcut folder I have three FaceTime addresses – my regular FaceTime family/friends. In my efforts to follow the very helpful link that you provided I seem to have created new shortcuts. I’ll have to have another shot at recovering my Apple ID, which somehow seems to me rather daunting – which I know is ridiculous.

Jon

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Postby Jonetc15 » July 14th, 2020, 7:18 pm

GoSeigen wrote:
Jonetc15 wrote:I've also mislaid my four digit pass code... Hope I don't need it.

Which four digit passcode? Depending what you are referring to it might be an idea to find it pronto or take precautionary measures so that it doesn't cause you grief if/when you need it.

GS

Thanks GS – all too true. I might as well confess that I’m not sure when or why I was asked for a pass code with four numbers on it – i.e. not the same as the six-digit code to unlock my iPad. I may have to get a professional to sort me out in due course. Not the end of the world!

Jon

elkay
Lemon Slice

Postby elkay » July 14th, 2020, 9:33 pm

Hi Jon,

I am not an Apple user, so hopefully someone of that persuasion can jump in and confirm or otherwise...

If you can make a Facetime call via My Contacts, I would surmise that you have the Facetime app on your device, therefore there is no need to download it again (you may not even have the option), and therefore no need (at this time) for your Apple Id.

If I am correct, the app will have an icon somewhere on one of your screens. The icon may look different to what you expect, or it may be located in a folder icon. Have you examined every icon to be sure that Facetime isn't hiding in plain site?

Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick regarding Apple and it's foibles....

LK

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » July 15th, 2020, 7:51 am

Jonetc15 wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:

GS

Thanks GS – all too true. I might as well confess that I’m not sure when or why I was asked for a pass code with four numbers on it – i.e. not the same as the six-digit code to unlock my iPad. I may have to get a professional to sort me out in due course. Not the end of the world!

Jon this is all a bit vague. First off, do you have more than one Apple device, or just the iPad? If more than one, do you know the unlocking code for each of the devices? If so that is probably good enough -- everything else can probably be worked around but I think it's a good idea to make a note of them and also of your Apple ID and important passwords, both for your reference and for anyone who may need to help in the event of incapacity.

What you should also do ASAP is make sure you are backing up your devices regularly, or at least keep them synced with iCloud. If you don't know how to back up we can help.

GS

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”