Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Laptop won't boot after dropping it!

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: Laptop won't boot after dropping it!

Postby Breelander » August 10th, 2020, 4:01 pm

Clariman wrote:I had someone disassemble my hard drive to try to get new heads to read it, but the old read heads were bent and there was debris and damage to disk. So can't be done....

Ouch! That's as 'terminal' as it can get :(

(Note to self: next time I want to securely dispose of a disk, just ask Clariman to drop it)

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » August 10th, 2020, 4:38 pm

Breelander wrote:
Clariman wrote:I had someone disassemble my hard drive to try to get new heads to read it, but the old read heads were bent and there was debris and damage to disk. So can't be done....

Ouch! That's as 'terminal' as it can get :(

(Note to self: next time I want to securely dispose of a disk, just ask Clariman to drop it)

It was a little more sophisticated than "dropping" it. I had to throw it from the second step of a stairway across a hard floor, while I followed closely behind!

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » August 10th, 2020, 7:47 pm

Mike4 wrote:Or are you saying if I install Linux on several machines, they all notice each other and sync the user files without having to be asked to, like happens with apple? Thereby a default file backup system exists right from the get-go with no user intervention required?

Yes, you can have that with Linux. Buy Chromebooks and/or Chromeboxes. They are Linux and ready set up to work like that. Android is Linux too, and it is also ready set up to work like that. With native Linux, you can do the same, but you have to set it up. Native Linux is much more flexible than a Chromebook. You can, however, run Linux applications on a Chromebook, provided that it is sufficiently up to date.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » August 10th, 2020, 10:52 pm

GeoffF100 wrote:
Mike4 wrote:Or are you saying if I install Linux on several machines, they all notice each other and sync the user files without having to be asked to, like happens with apple? Thereby a default file backup system exists right from the get-go with no user intervention required?

Yes, you can have that with Linux. Buy Chromebooks and/or Chromeboxes. They are Linux and ready set up to work like that. Android is Linux too, and it is also ready set up to work like that. With native Linux, you can do the same, but you have to set it up. Native Linux is much more flexible than a Chromebook. You can, however, run Linux applications on a Chromebook, provided that it is sufficiently up to date.

Ok, but that all sounds terribly complicated for a feek plumber like moi :)

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 11th, 2020, 12:44 pm

Clariman wrote: About half an hour ago I downloaded and installed Macrium Reflect. I'll get that going tomorrow to my external hard drive.
Clariman

Don't forget to create a Macrium recovery disk or USB and keep it in a safe place. You'll need that if your HDD gets corrupted and you need to boot and load a backup image

I also prefer to have two backup scripts:
  1. a full image backup which I run each month
  2. a smaller (and quicker) backup just for my personal files, photos, etc, which I run more frequently

--kiloran

madhatter
Lemon Slice

Postby madhatter » August 11th, 2020, 11:11 pm

No, with the Apple stuff it just inflicted it on you without getting your permission first, which is the point I'm trying to make!

No it isn't.

Though it isn't quite clear to me what Mike is doing, either.

I have some apps (like the Calendar) and files synchronised but only the stuff I put in the iCloud folder, and they would not all fit into the free space allowed. I wouldn't rely on that for backup purposes anyway, as for years I have used the built-in Time Machine, which as long as the designated HDD is connected (some people do it wirelessly but I haven't gone that far) it does automatic incremental backups every hour, consolidating older ones to day, week, etc.

Occasionally I have wanted to retrieve an older version of some file without wanting to restore the whole caboodle back to an earlier time, and have been able to get that version of it and it has not let me down. Never needed to try restoring the whole system to an earlier date, but it should do that as well.

When I want to do a backup, I just connect that HDD, and could do it on more than one if I wanted, for extra security.

I would suggest Mike takes a look at Time Machine as it is so easy to use.

I have heard of Linux Time Shifter, but I don't know if that does the same job.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » August 11th, 2020, 11:52 pm

madhatter wrote:
No, with the Apple stuff it just inflicted it on you without getting your permission first, which is the point I'm trying to make!

No it isn't.

Though it isn't quite clear to me what Mike is doing, either.

My reply, quoted above, was in direct consequence of Mike4's statement -- indeed, insistence -- that the mirroring/sharing happens on Apple devices by default and without having to do anything (and hence, without getting permission). If you think he's wrong about that then you should disagree with him, not me. :D

(Although it's not clear to me how you can say "no it isn't" when it isn't clear to you what he's referring to!)

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”