Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Zoom, install etc

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Zoom, install etc

Postby AleisterCrowley » August 1st, 2020, 12:27 pm

I'm currently staying at my mum's
She needs Zoom set up on her old Dell desktop and/or HP tablet
Is it straightforward? Any handy hints?
No camera on desktop so will need webcam - some on Amazon for c £25
Any security risks? Says it needs network connection to install so worried it's harvesting data and sending to China...
Is there a way to install securely?
Thanks
Sorry bit terse but typing on small Fire tablet :-)

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Re: Zoom, install etc

Postby johnhemming » August 1st, 2020, 1:05 pm

This is zoom's comment about China
https://blog.zoom.us/improving-our-poli ... aboration/

Zoom does have an executable. I have not tried running zoom from a web interface so I cannot comment on that. I have got a paid for zoom account for hosting things. My experience of the various systems for online meeting including having written some low level code in this area is that zoom is quite good and is the only paid account I have.

xeny
Lemon Slice

Postby xeny » August 1st, 2020, 5:45 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Any security risks? Says it needs network connection to install so worried it's harvesting data and sending to China...

Given a video chat app needs a network connection to do anything useful, being concerned it needs one during install seems an odd thing to mention?

cinelli
Lemon Slice

Postby cinelli » August 1st, 2020, 8:53 pm

There are some good tutorials about Zoom on YouTube. For instance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTSJ0YDoF7o

covers installation and running. You can run Zoom from pretty well any device, phone, tablet, laptop or desktop. You can download the software free of charge but then the length of your meeting is limited to 40 minutes.

Cinelli

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 1st, 2020, 10:13 pm

Zoom is indeed not an app for the privacy-focussed user.

Interesting that you're getting with the latest Trump trend of Blame China for Everything. The app on your 'puter or phone is precisely where you could install a real spy - c.f. Pegasus, or the Aussie spyware law.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » August 2nd, 2020, 2:11 pm

xeny wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:Any security risks? Says it needs network connection to install so worried it's harvesting data and sending to China...

Given a video chat app needs a network connection to do anything useful, being concerned it needs one during install seems an odd thing to mention?

It's the camera that needs a connection to install - obviously Zoom needs one!
I have tried to install Zoom in my mum's old HP slate tablet but I get a not supported message
I am no good with Android being used to iOS - I can't find any obvious way to update if required

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » August 2nd, 2020, 2:16 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Zoom is indeed not an app for the privacy-focussed user.

Interesting that you're getting with the latest Trump trend of Blame China for Everything. The app on your 'puter or phone is precisely where you could install a real spy - c.f. Pegasus, or the Aussie spyware law.

Fairly tongue in cheek, but I have read several articles in technical journals detailing the massive effort the Chinese gov puts into online espionage and surveillance
Obviously in this case a non state actor is the worry- harvesting login details etc, although my mum doesn't do online banking

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » August 2nd, 2020, 2:30 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:I have tried to install Zoom in my mum's old HP slate tablet but I get a not supported message
I am no good with Android being used to iOS - I can't find any obvious way to update if required

Well, usually, assuming you have a WiFi connection, Android will pop up a notification if an update is available, but if not (or if it's been dismissed) you can try going to Settings and look under there for About or System. (I'll bet you've already tried that, eh? :D). Of course there may be no further update for her hardware.

I take it the tablet doesn't meet Zoom's requirements ... https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201179966-System-requirements-for-iOS-iPadOS-and-Android

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » August 2nd, 2020, 2:53 pm

Yes, did look and it's Android 4.4.2
No obvious update button
It's an HP Slate 10

Edit: found a check status option and it says it's up to date

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”