Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron, for Donating to support the site

Samsung: Android Software Update

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Samsung: Android Software Update

Postby bruncher » November 8th, 2016, 9:44 pm

Something arrived on my Samsung Galaxy 7

Software Update

The latest software update is ready to be installed. If you tap ISTALL OVERNIGHT, the update will be installed between 2:00 AM and 5:00 AM.
- version: G930FXXU1BPJE/G930FXEU1BPJ2/G930FXXU1BPJE - Size : 75.78 MB

What's new

A software update can include, but is not limited to:
- Device stability improvements
etc
etc
Your device will restart after the update is installed ...

Caution

You will not be charged for this firmware installation ......

To avoid unexpected data loss, we recommend that you back up .....

I then am unable to navigate away from this without choosing

LATER
INSTALL OVERNIGHT
INSTALL NOW

I have selected LATER because I do not know who this is from and whether it is safe!!

I took the phone to an O2sotore and the guy who looked at the phone said he thought it was odd and recommended contacting Samsung. Any advice would be gratefully received.

pottager

Re: Samsung: Android Software Update

Postby pottager » November 9th, 2016, 9:12 am

Looks genuine and perfectly normal to me. Googling the version number takes you to an S7 page on the Samsung website.

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » November 10th, 2016, 4:06 pm

Thanks Pottager, I should have thought of that. Have now allowed the update. Strange that the O2 shop didn't know.

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » November 10th, 2016, 10:29 pm

It is, probably, the marshmallow upgrade. The most useful element of marshmallow to those who have phones with low internal memory is the ability to treat an inserted SD card as if was seamless additional extra internal memory.

Unfortunately Samsung have decided to disable this function, either because as they say it uses slower memory so interferes with performance. Or as others say to protect their margins on phones with greater internal memory.

:x :x :x :x :x

k333
2 Lemon pips

Postby k333 » November 11th, 2016, 7:37 pm

dionaeamuscipula wrote:It is, probably, the marshmallow upgrade. The most useful element of marshmallow to those who have phones with low internal memory is the ability to treat an inserted SD card as if was seamless additional extra internal memory.

Unfortunately Samsung have decided to disable this function, either because as they say it uses slower memory so interferes with performance. Or as others say to protect their margins on phones with greater internal memory.

:x :x :x :x :x

Yes indeed! It's turned my Moto E into a very decent machine, though to be honest it is only for occasional use, so it wasn't worth spending any more. However coming back to what Samsung have done, I think it is deplorable - and on a par with what HP did to disable 3rdP printer cartridges. I seem to recall SF wasn't impressed. And I'm not by this.

- K

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”