Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Update MS Office 2010

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Update MS Office 2010

Postby kiloran » August 7th, 2020, 11:03 am

Support for my Office 2010 will soon stop, so I plan to update to Office 2016 or maybe 2019.

I remember one or more discussions over the past year about sources of cheap licenses but chanting magic incantations at LMF search or Google has failed to find them, which thoroughly embarrasses me.

So.... reliable suppliers of Office licences please.

--kiloran

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: Update MS Office 2010

Postby ReformedCharacter » August 7th, 2020, 11:23 am

kiloran wrote:Support for my Office 2010 will soon stop, so I plan to update to Office 2016 or maybe 2019.

I remember one or more discussions over the past year about sources of cheap licenses but chanting magic incantations at LMF search or Google has failed to find them, which thoroughly embarrasses me.

--kiloran

I've used PCKeys and found them good and apparently legit. Various Office editions available:

https://pckeys.uk/

RC

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » August 7th, 2020, 11:30 am

You may have read a thread which I started some time ago.

I purchased an MS Office licence from an Amazon supplier for £12.

viewtopic.php?p=283062#p283062

The Office software worked perfectly and as an aside, the refurbished computer is still working brilliantly. Very fast and, with the occasional three minute update by Windows 10, has stayed on top form.

regards

Howard

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » August 7th, 2020, 1:34 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:
kiloran wrote:Support for my Office 2010 will soon stop, so I plan to update to Office 2016 or maybe 2019.

--kiloran

I've used PCKeys and found them good and apparently legit. Various Office editions available:

RC

This looks interesting. I'm still using Office 2007...

What's puzzling me is that the newer and more complete versions seem cheapest. For example Office 2019 Professional Plus at £29.95 whereas 2016 Home and Business is £39.

Are there any downsides to getting a more recent version with all the bells and whistles?

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » August 7th, 2020, 1:54 pm

staffordian wrote:
ReformedCharacter wrote:

--kiloran

RC

This looks interesting. I'm still using Office 2007...

What's puzzling me is that the newer and more complete versions seem cheapest. For example Office 2019 Professional Plus at £29.95 whereas 2016 Home and Business is £39.

Are there any downsides to getting a more recent version with all the bells and whistles?

It depends. Some people dislike the more modern interface. One annoyance for me is that it no longer seems possible to install individual components so that you will end up with OneNote, Powerpoint etc. whether you want them or not. I can't think of any other downsides but others may have their personal dislikes...

RC

Sixtyone

Postby Sixtyone » August 7th, 2020, 2:36 pm

Following a previous post from RC I’ve also used https://pckeys.uk/, was a bit dubious as they were showing an out of date offer for WIN10 Pro for free when buying Office. I went with the offer and both registered ok. Just note the cheapest prices are for the one-off installs, you will pay more for a ‘proper’ (reinstall-able) retail version.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » August 7th, 2020, 3:02 pm

Sixtyone wrote:Following a previous post from RC I’ve also used https://pckeys.uk/, was a bit dubious as they were showing an out of date offer for WIN10 Pro for free when buying Office. I went with the offer and both registered ok. Just note the cheapest prices are for the one-off installs, you will pay more for a ‘proper’ (reinstall-able) retail version.

When you say one off installs, does this mean if you have a disk crash you can't put the software back on a new HDD, or if you upgrade to a new machine you can't install the software onto it?

Would this also preclude using a system image to restore a drive after a crash?

Just trying to understand the limitations.

TIA.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » August 7th, 2020, 3:16 pm

staffordian wrote:When you say one off installs, does this mean if you have a disk crash you can't put the software back on a new HDD, or if you upgrade to a new machine you can't install the software onto it?

TIA.

AFAIK the Office products are OEM which means the licence is tied to one machine, so you can put the software back on the same machine after an HDD crash whether by reinstallation or system image, you can't put it on another PC though. If in doubt try the 'chat' on the site, I've found it very prompt and helpful when I've had a question.

RC

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » August 7th, 2020, 3:25 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:
staffordian wrote:When you say one off installs, does this mean if you have a disk crash you can't put the software back on a new HDD, or if you upgrade to a new machine you can't install the software onto it?

TIA.

AFAIK the Office products are OEM which means the licence is tied to one machine, so you can put the software back on the same machine after an HDD crash whether by reinstallation or system image, you can't put it on another PC though. If in doubt try the 'chat' on the site, I've found it very prompt and helpful when I've had a question.

RC

Many thanks.

At the price, I'm not unduly worried about repurchasing if I bought a new machine, happy enough to know I could reinstall after a crash.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » August 7th, 2020, 7:41 pm

I've just updated from Office 2007 Home and Student to 2019 Professional Plus for £29.95 and everything worked as per the instructions in the email I received.

It even activated automatically when I opened Word. Couldn't have been easier.

Thanks for the heads up regarding PC Keys.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 9th, 2020, 3:06 pm

Many thanks for all the comments.

I went with https://pckeys.uk/
The service was slightly disappointing.... I was supposed to get the licence key 30min to 8 hours after purchase. I prodded them after 9 hours and got very fast responses, the key finally arriving 15 hours after purchase.

Installation was fine, except for the usual interminable Microsoft validation process over the phone. Do they really need so many numbers transferred back and forth?

--kiloran

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » August 9th, 2020, 3:32 pm

kiloran wrote:Many thanks for all the comments.

Installation was fine, except for the usual interminable Microsoft validation process over the phone. Do they really need so many numbers transferred back and forth?

--kiloran

You didn't choose to validate online?

RC

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 9th, 2020, 3:37 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:
kiloran wrote:Many thanks for all the comments.

--kiloran

You didn't choose to validate online?

RC

Yes, but it responded that I couldn't and had to use the telephone option :cry:

--kiloran

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”