Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Can anyone demystify Microsoft Project

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Novoiceleft
Lemon Pip

Can anyone demystify Microsoft Project

Postby Novoiceleft » August 10th, 2020, 10:42 pm

I'm fairly computer literate - but I'm totally mystified by the confusing version names for Microsoft Project. Can anyone help ?

I need to get hold of a good project management software. As an oldie - I'm familiar with the situation where you used to buy something called MS Project, receive a disk in a box, install it - and then have MS Project which was the big Daddy of all Project Management software with all the functionality you could dream of.

I'm also aware that everything is becoming cloud based - so you don't need to install a disk anymore. (I've already got Office Online).

In my naivety I have just purchased "Microsoft Project" for £7.50 per month - this is part of Office 365. After just 5 minutes, I have discovered this is some sort of Noddy online Project management version that is a fraction of the real thing and it wont do what I need.

And I just spent 20 minutes googling about Microsoft Project and I am totally confused. I just want a one user license for the old MS project !! Does it exist anymore ?

Any explanations appreciated

NoVoice

Novoiceleft
Lemon Pip

Re: Can anyone demystify Microsoft Project

Postby Novoiceleft » August 10th, 2020, 10:47 pm

Maybe someone knows about an alternative ?

I need to be able to do - Phases, Tasks, Subtasks, Durations, Milestones, and Dependencies on a Gantt Chart. Also I need to be able to do Task assignment to multiple individuals, and budget tracking.

TIA

NoVoice

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » August 11th, 2020, 1:34 am

I feel your pain.

Life was so simple when you purchased some software and received what you paid for.

There is a variety of Microsoft Project listings for sale on eBay, in case any are what you are expecting.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... 6&_sacat=0

xeny
Lemon Slice

Postby xeny » August 11th, 2020, 9:47 am

Isn't there a variant of O365 that gives you local install rights?

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » August 11th, 2020, 10:45 am

https://pckeys.uk/microsoft-project-professional-2019

...Microsoft Project 2019 is the newest and up-to-date version of Microsoft's favourite project management suite. All of the desktop applications are accessible offline as well as combining with the use of cloud services should you wish to. Project 2019 is a "perpetual" license, one that lets the consumer run the office suite as long as desired (lifetime) without further payments, allowing you to be up to date without ever worrying about recurring monthly charges.

£29.95

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » August 11th, 2020, 11:56 am

What you want is Project Professional 2019
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/microso ... t-software

It is quite expensive now so you may prefer to find an older version on ebay.

Those cheap copies on pckeys.uk are not going to be genuine at that price,they might work today but at some point Microsoft will remotely disable the software when they catch up with them.
When they disable the software that leaves you with no choice but to either buy a full price legal copy or lose all the data you have saved.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » August 11th, 2020, 1:01 pm

Lanark wrote:What you want is Project Professional 2019

Those cheap copies on pckeys.uk are not going to be genuine at that price,

How do you know that they are not genuine, are you just judging by the price? They would appear to offer an easy target for FAST (and Microsoft) -

https://www.fast.org/

- if that is not the case.

RC

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » August 11th, 2020, 3:55 pm

With the exception of Product Key Cards (PKC’s) distributed with COA’s, Microsoft does not distribute products keys as standalone products. If you see a listing on an auction site, online classified ad, or other online page advertising product keys for sale, it’s a good indication that the keys are likely stolen or counterfeit. If you were to purchase and use a stolen or counterfeit product key to activate Windows installed on your PC, the key may not work for activation, may already be in use on another PC, or it might be blocked from use later by Microsoft when the key is reported stolen. The best way to get everything you expect up front is to buy genuine Microsoft software preinstalled on a new PC or genuine Microsoft software from an authorized reseller.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/howtotell/shop.aspx

I asked on their chat facility and they are re-selling OEM licenses to end users, which is a breach of the Microsoft license terms.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mso ... a56743604c

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » August 11th, 2020, 4:31 pm

Lanark wrote:I asked on their chat facility and they are re-selling OEM licenses to end users, which is a breach of the Microsoft license terms.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mso ... a56743604c

Except that the EU ruled long ago that whatever those terms say, they don't apply in the EU.

Europe's highest court ruled on Tuesday that the trading of "used" software licenses is legal and that the author of such software cannot oppose any resale.
https://www.computerworld.com/article/2 ... nline.html

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » August 11th, 2020, 5:43 pm

There was a thread on here the other week where Kiloran used a MS Office standalone license key from PC Keys and actually validated it by ringing Microsoft. I presume MS would have refused to validate if it was so illegal...

There are also non OEM transferable full retail keys available, at a higher but still heavily discounted price. I'd probably go for that option for something like a W10 pro license so I could use it from an external SSD on a persistent basis if needs be.

You can run a MS downloaded copy of W10 without any registered account or license at all quite happily, apart from a bit of nag ware.
There are obvious downsides (no official support et al) but it can be done as the multitude of YT videos showing it running will bear testament to. If MS wanted to block that facility they could do so very easily...

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”