Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Domain name parking

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Domain name parking

Postby yorkshirelad1 » August 11th, 2020, 4:03 pm

I'm looking for a basic, no frills, competitively priced provider to park two or three domains (all .co.uk). Two of the domains can probably just sit (organisations no longer operating, but I don't want to let the domain name registration lapse for a few years yet in case some character picks them up when they lapse and divert them somewhere undesirable: this seems a popular activity) and one domain may need forwarding to a current website.

The going rate seems to be around £7-£10/yr for a .co.uk domain. Ionos seems to be popular, as well as tsohosts. I've seen the posting (Cheap Domain renewal https://lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22116&hilit=domain). Becuase two of the domains probably won't be doing much, I'd like to try and keep the costs down.

Just seeing what else might be out there and what other people think/recommend.
Thanks

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Re: Domain name parking

Postby johnhemming » August 11th, 2020, 5:53 pm

This probably gives the most exhaustive list of registrars
https://tld-list.com/registrars

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » August 12th, 2020, 2:41 pm

I've been using names.co.uk for a while for hosting and domains, and their service is good IMHO. Having looked around at the favourable alternatives, it turns out namesco are comparable/competitively priced for domain parking.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » August 12th, 2020, 3:08 pm

yorkshirelad1 wrote:I've been using names.co.uk for a while for hosting and domains, and their service is good IMHO. Having looked around at the favourable alternatives, it turns out namesco are comparable/competitively priced for domain parking.

Names.co.uk often have cheap new domain introductory prices -- I got a .co.uk and a .uk earlier this year from them for free (I see they're £1.20 now).

However their renewal prices are not that great. £14.99+VAT for 1 year for the .co.uk (dropping to £89.99+VAT for 10 years), and £13.99+VAT for 1 year for the .uk (£69.99+VAT for 10 years).

Note that those are notably higher than the "full" prices shown for them on their site (£9.59/£8.39) that's crossed out and £1.20 shown besides, and it is, unfortunately, far from unusual for domain shops to only show you the "new" prices (discounted or not) and not the renewal prices.

(As it happens I won't be renewing that .co.uk and .uk as I only needed them for a little while, for testing purposes.)

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”