Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

TV Licence scams

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
swill453
Lemon Half

TV Licence scams

Postby swill453 » August 12th, 2020, 8:02 pm

Many over 75s will be expecting the TV licensing people to get in touch to ask them to pay for licences, having been free up to now. So they are of course ripe fodder for scammers.

My parents received one recently which looked to the untrained eye pretty genuine, full of reference numbers and was well written.

The links on it went off to some dodgy site though.

The licensing people say a genuine email from them will have the customer's name in it, and part of their postcode. This one only had an email address.

I advised them to ignore any email from TV licensing, and wait until they get some kind of real letter through the post. The authorities aren't going to be a hurry to prosecute and jail a whole bunch of OAPs, so they can relax a bit and wait for the bill to arrive.

Worth warning any older relatives (or TLF subscribers!) of the scam possibilities.

Scott.

Garless
2 Lemon pips

Re: TV Licence scams

Postby Garless » August 12th, 2020, 10:46 pm

It is not just over 75s, I have had several “your payment had a problem” type emails. Looks fairly genuine at first glance except it says I pay by credit card which I do not and the link to follow is not even made to look genuine.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » August 12th, 2020, 11:13 pm

They tell you to do nothing until you get a letter from them. I have had the letter and done what is needed online. The letter has "TV Licensing" in a prominent place of the front. A couple of elderly widows of my acquaintance are fretting about not having received the letter yet. I've told them to be patient and to ignore any other approaches.

TJH

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » August 13th, 2020, 12:08 am

Garless wrote:It is not just over 75s, I have had several “your payment had a problem” type emails. .

Me too. Thing is, not ever watching the telly I utterly refuse to engage with them in any way as I don't need a licence to not watch the telly, nor do I need to log onto their website and tell them stuff about me and how I don't watch the telly.

Sooner or later I'm expecting a doorstep interlude.

Edit to add forgot my point, which was all those emails must by definition be fakes, as I have not paid for my payment to have a problem in the first place!

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”