Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Saving wifi passwords etc of phone, to add to new phone.

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Saving wifi passwords etc of phone, to add to new phone.

Postby NomoneyNohoney » November 26th, 2020, 8:48 pm

I've got a bunch of phones stashed away. These are of different ages and I'm expecting that each phone has its own collection of wifi access points listed, plus passwords too. I'd like to try and download all these details, ideally onto a Windows pc, where I can prune any that are no longer needed, and then upload the details to add to my current wifi passwords on my latest phone.

I've looked and there are lots of suggestions online, but wonder if any of you can point me in the best direction? Any pointers?

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: Saving wifi passwords etc of phone, to add to new phone.

Postby ReformedCharacter » November 26th, 2020, 10:40 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:I've got a bunch of phones stashed away. These are of different ages and I'm expecting that each phone has its own collection of wifi access points listed, plus passwords too. I'd like to try and download all these details, ideally onto a Windows pc, where I can prune any that are no longer needed, and then upload the details to add to my current wifi passwords on my latest phone.

I've looked and there are lots of suggestions online, but wonder if any of you can point me in the best direction? Any pointers?

Have you considered using KeePass to consolidate them?

Keepass2Android is an open source password manager application for Android. It is compatible with the popular KeePass 2.x Password Safe for Windows and aims at simple synchronization between devices.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=keepass2android.keepass2android

RC

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 26th, 2020, 11:10 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:I've got a bunch of phones stashed away. These are of different ages and I'm expecting that each phone has its own collection of wifi access points listed, plus passwords too. I'd like to try and download all these details, ideally onto a Windows pc, where I can prune any that are no longer needed, and then upload the details to add to my current wifi passwords on my latest phone.

I'm pretty sure Android/Google won't actually let you see the passwords for WiFi networks you've connected to in the past. It'll let you share the details with other devices logged into the same account, but not let you export them to do what you suggest.

You might find your latest device has all the old ones consolidated already, so if you prune that list you may get the end result you want.

Assuming Android. If Apple it may or may not be similar.

Scott.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » November 27th, 2020, 11:38 am

swill453 wrote:

I'm pretty sure Android/Google won't actually let you see the passwords for WiFi networks you've connected to in the past. It'll let you share the details with other devices logged into the same account, but not let you export them to do what you suggest.

You might find your latest device has all the old ones consolidated already, so if you prune that list you may get the end result you want.

Assuming Android. If Apple it may or may not be similar.

Android 10 and newer will let you see the WiFI passwords, but for Android 9 and older you needed to 'root' the phone to do it. Apple - nope.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 28th, 2020, 9:35 am

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » November 30th, 2020, 12:01 am

Titanium backup only seems to work with rooted phones. Boo!

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”