Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Windows XP in a VM

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Windows XP in a VM

Postby GeoffF100 » August 23rd, 2020, 11:36 am

I have some Fritztrainer chess DVDs. People have had trouble running them under Wine, but that may no longer be the case for the current version. Failing that, perhaps the DVDs will work with a Windows XP Virtual Machine. Windows 10 is very resource hungry, so I wondered about Windows XP. I found this:

https://helpdeskgeek.com/virtualization ... -for-free/

That does not look difficult, and it should work on Linux. The article talks about turning on Virtualisation in the BIOS. Google could not find anything about that for my HP4300 SFF. I do not think that there is a setting for that in the Gigabyte UEFI on my other machine. An interesting project even if I do not do it.

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Windows XP in a VM

Postby servodude » August 23rd, 2020, 1:13 pm

GeoffF100 wrote:The article talks about turning on Virtualisation in the BIOS. Google could not find anything about that for my HP4300 SFF

I think if it's there it will be under system security and labelled VTX (or something similar)

-sd

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Re: Windows XP in a VM

Postby GeoffF100 » August 23rd, 2020, 1:44 pm

Thanks very much for that sd. I have had a look at the BIOS on both machines.

On my HP4300 SFF it is:

Security > System Security > Virtualization Technology > Enable

(Currently set to Disable.)

On my Novatech machine it is:

BIOS Features > Intel Virtualization Technology > Enabled

(Already enabled.)

The HP has a third generation i3 and 4 GB of RAM with only a 120 GB SSD. It has a Windows 10 Pro licence, but is a bit thin for running Xubuntu with Windows 10 Pro in a VM. I should be able to easily upgrade the hardware, but there is no point in doing that at the present time.

The Novatech has a fourth generation i5 and 8 GB of RAM with an 120 GB SSD and a 1 TB hard drive, but is already running Windows 10. Nonetheless, I could play with an XP VM running off the hard drive.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”