Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

outlook notification??

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

outlook notification??

Postby mutantpoodle » August 24th, 2020, 9:19 am

I use outlook for emails
until recently a small red dot would appera in the top corner of the outlook thing to show me that I had received an email

excellent and quite useful as it enable me to get on with other stuff without keep checking back...

but now...well past few weeks...I am getting the red dots but not getting any new emails

yes I still receive emils when they are sent but now this red dot but no new email

is this some new OUTLOOK thing to get me to join/pay or whatever some new 'cannot live without' offer??

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: outlook notification??

Postby Infrasonic » August 24th, 2020, 1:09 pm

Same thing has been happening to me, I assumed it may have been some browser plugin interfering or something.

You should be able to get outlook.live.com alerts via other routes.
In Chrome browser go to the padlock to the left of the URL bar, right click, 'site settings', turn 'notifications' on (Allow). Similar in other browsers that are Chromium based.
If you've got a mobile phone set up whatever email client app you use (Gmail, Outlook et al) for Outlook and customise the alert sounds for each account.
You can link phone/desktop/laptop alerts in W10 as well using the 'your phone' app, so the phone alert will appear on your desktop as a pop up and in the notifications box on the bottom far right.
OR you can set up a desktop/laptop email client to do desktop alerts for the Outlook account.
Just be aware that you'll start getting duplicate alerts if you do all of them. I tend to rely on my phone the most and then when on desktop/laptop the phone alert is linked.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » August 24th, 2020, 2:39 pm

understand but why is this now a required 'allow' never was before nd all worked fine

is this another jobsworth numpties making changes for changes sake?

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » August 24th, 2020, 4:40 pm

If you Google it you'll see the erroneous red dot thing has been an issue for a couple of years (and with a load of recent complaints). One suggestion is to turn off IM in settings.
https://outlook.uservoice.com/forums/60 ... 25-red-dot

Also in Outlook.com settings (gear wheel on the right) there's a 'desktop notifications' switch, turn it on and you should get new email pop up alerts without doing anything else even if you aren't logged in to the Outlook.com web page. (Mine is off because I use my phone as the primary vibrate + customised sound alerts for all my email accounts.)

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » August 25th, 2020, 8:23 am

thanks for the ideas

am still bemused as to why this is only a recent situation for me when its clearly an established problem with OUTLOOK

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 25th, 2020, 9:30 am

mutantpoodle wrote:thanks for the ideas

am still bemused as to why this is only a recent situation for me when its clearly an established problem with OUTLOOK

I have a vague feeling that this might have happened to me in the past few days. I'm only half aware of it, and dismissed the notion because sometimes I've had two copies of outlook open so I might have checked one and not the other.

I'm not that bothered either way, but it's an odd thing to suddenly stop happening. Yes, why do designers change things for the sake of change? The world's complex enough as it is!

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”