Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Samsung tablet dead battery - use databank instead ?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Ma1co1m

Samsung tablet dead battery - use databank instead ?

Postby Ma1co1m » August 26th, 2020, 12:12 pm

I have a fairly old Samsung T320 tablet which works fine apart from the battery, which I replaced about a couple of years ago. Obviously I didn't spend enough on the battery as that is now dead - won't hold charge overnight, even turned off ! I mostly only use the tablet for accessing my music collection and I have another, newer one for other tasks.
Having replaced the battery once and seen how easy it is to remove it I wondered about getting a databank, removing the tablet battery and just using the databank via the USB to power it - my thinking is that if the battery is shot it will just drain the databank unnecessarily if I leave it in.

Anyone any idea whether that would work, or is it try-it-and-see ?

ma1co1m

Ma1co1m

Re: Samsung tablet dead battery - use databank instead ?

Postby Ma1co1m » August 26th, 2020, 12:51 pm

D'oh!

I obviously meant "powerbank" not databank. Brain not working today....

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » August 26th, 2020, 12:52 pm

Give it a go with the powerbank and battery removed.

It's possible they have wired the tablet for the internal battery to be inline with the charge circuit, in which case permanent battery removal might not work. If you can hunt down a service manual and schematic for the tablet via a Google search that might reveal how it's actually wired.

One of the problems with OEM/generic replacement batteries for older electronics is they are often 'new old stock', so aren't in the best of shape even when you buy them.
When I did my Nexus 5 I noticed the Accubattery app only reported about 70% of maximum potential capacity on the OEM replacement after a few charges, and that deteriorated quite quickly from there on, the battery gradually swelling like the original.
That replacement is dead now too, even at '100% charged' it doesn't hold enough juice to sustain a boot cycle, although the N5 will still boot and run if permanently plugged into the USB chargers 2 amp socket. I did run it for a while with a small portable external USB battery, but that seemed a bit hit and miss on the quality front, a decent branded power bank would probably be fine.

Ma1co1m

Postby Ma1co1m » August 27th, 2020, 12:40 pm

Many thanks for your thoughts Infrasonic. I hadn't even thought about the possibility of a series charger - it looks like, as you say, I'll have to try it and see
ma1co1m

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » August 27th, 2020, 2:42 pm

Even if it does require the internal battery to be in place you could look at getting around it using a 'dummy battery' (passthrough) setup, it's entirely dependent on the circuit design and how miniaturised everything is as to whether it's a simple DIY job or not.
There are online guides for that sort of thing.

Ma1co1m

Postby Ma1co1m » August 28th, 2020, 8:46 pm

Yes, before you posted I was thinking that I can just short out the battery connections ( as long as there's room ). I'll see what I find when I take the back off

Thanks again

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”