Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Is it easy to use dual SIMs on a phone?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Is it easy to use dual SIMs on a phone?

Postby Clariman » January 20th, 2022, 5:01 pm

My new Samsung phone can use dual SIM cards. Is it easy to use one for personal use and one for business? Never thought of it before but it would be ideal. I'll get rid of my second phone line at home and use a cheap SIM.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Re: Is it easy to use dual SIMs on a phone?

Postby Clariman » January 20th, 2022, 5:14 pm

As it happens I got a cheap Plusnet SIM last week - to use when my Vodafone contract ended, but Vodafone have just offered me a great SIM only retention deal. Rather than cancel Plusnet I could use it for business instead of a second landline.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 20th, 2022, 5:44 pm

I used dual SIMs a few years ago, it seemed to work pretty well. It could receive calls and texts via both SIMs, and for outgoing ones you set a default SIM but you could override that and select the other.

I can only imagine it's got even slicker since.

Scott.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » January 20th, 2022, 7:52 pm

Bear in mind if you get rid of the landline you'll be reliant on one mobile phone for two numbers - so you'll be vulnerable to a theft or breakage.

I have dual SIM/eSIM capability on my Pixel 3a but have a cheap small Nokia phone for the secondary number - primarily because I need a network (Vodafone) that is better in the hills than my primary (Three) and I want the redundancy of two phones (no LL).

James
Lemon Slice

Postby James » January 21st, 2022, 1:15 pm

Clariman wrote:My new Samsung phone can use dual SIM cards. Is it easy to use one for personal use and one for business? Never thought of it before but it would be ideal. I'll get rid of my second phone line at home and use a cheap SIM.

I have a personal mobile SIM and my work number SIM in the same phone. Works fine. I have it set up to do data on the work SIM and when I make a call or SMS it gives me a choice which SIM to use. It's as simple as selecting the number and pushing one of the two call buttons.
Only downside is that on my particular make of phone, a Huawei, the second SIM takes up the memory expansion slot, so I can't add extra memory to the phone, but I've not found I need it.

modellingman
Lemon Slice

Postby modellingman » January 22nd, 2022, 1:57 pm

James wrote:
Clariman wrote:My new Samsung phone can use dual SIM cards. Is it easy to use one for personal use and one for business? Never thought of it before but it would be ideal. I'll get rid of my second phone line at home and use a cheap SIM.

I have a personal mobile SIM and my work number SIM in the same phone. Works fine. I have it set up to do data on the work SIM and when I make a call or SMS it gives me a choice which SIM to use. It's as simple as selecting the number and pushing one of the two call buttons.
Only downside is that on my particular make of phone, a Huawei, the second SIM takes up the memory expansion slot, so I can't add extra memory to the phone, but I've not found I need it.

I could almost have written James' reply. I have UK and Spanish SIMs on my Honor phone. There will be something like "SIM management" in the Settings app. which you can use to control which SIM is used for what and whether you make choices per call/SMS or not. The phone will remember which SIM was used previously and tell you this.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » January 22nd, 2022, 3:03 pm

Thanks everyone. I put my second SIM in earlier this afternoon and they are both up and running (1x Vodafone, 1x Plusnet(EE)). I've setup different ringtones. It does seem quite straightforward although not immediately obvious how I change for outgoing calls. I'll work it out though.

C

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » January 22nd, 2022, 6:23 pm

Something which might be an issue is that you can turn off your work phone when you are not working, but it is harder to turn off your work sim in a dual sim phone.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » January 22nd, 2022, 9:49 pm

AF62 wrote:

Something which might be an issue is that you can turn off your work phone when you are not working, but it is harder to turn off your work sim in a dual sim phone.

You can run custom DND lists in Android, so a possible workaround could be to exclude work contacts from allowed calls/alerts and run everything else as allowed. I have my custom DND set up with a small core of starred contacts that can get hold of me 24/7 - everything else is divert/alert muted from 11pm to 7am automatically or when I manually invoke DND for meetings et al.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » January 22nd, 2022, 10:05 pm

Infrasonic wrote:
AF62 wrote:

You can run custom DND lists in Android, so a possible workaround could be to exclude work contacts from allowed calls/alerts and run everything else as allowed. I have my custom DND set up with a small core of starred contacts that can get hold of me 24/7 - everything else is divert/alert muted from 11pm to 7am automatically or when I manually invoke DND for meetings et al.

You can do similar with Apple phones since IOS15 and the ‘Focus’ tool (it also allows you to silence apps as well as calls/texts), but setting such ‘allowed lists’ is a bit brute force and you do run the risk of not receiving personal calls you do want.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » January 23rd, 2022, 6:34 am

Yes, in simple terms

You can even select which contacts use which sim. You can use colours on the incoming call to see if it's a work call or personal.

AlexisSarah

Postby AlexisSarah » February 19th, 2022, 4:07 pm

Yes, it is.

Depending on your smartphone, you can choose which SIM to use while making a call using data, or sending SMS, or the phone will choose for you.

Dual SIM capability in a phone is unquestionably beneficial to frequent travellers. This function allows you to use two SIM cards in a single phone, allowing you to stay in touch with loved ones or clients at all times.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”