Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Creating a second gmail address, same inbox

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

Creating a second gmail address, same inbox

Postby MyNameIsUrl » September 3rd, 2020, 3:31 pm

I'd like to have two email addresses, but only one inbox in gmail. Can anyone clarify how to create the second email address please?

For a long time I've had an email address of the form johnsmith@gmail.com, and now I'd like an additional address of the form quizteamadmin@gmail.com. But when I look at my inbox I want both streams of email to be mixed together in a single inbox.

I've obviously googled, but I'm still not clear if I should be creating a new account, or an alias, or what. The terminology is used interchangeably in many of the search results. If someone could clarify the terminology I expect the mechanics are relatively simple.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Re: Creating a second gmail address, same inbox

Postby dealtn » September 3rd, 2020, 3:49 pm

Can you not just have a rule that sends/forwards all the email from the second gmail address to the first? That's how my system is configured.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » September 3rd, 2020, 3:53 pm

You are describing two or more different things.

An email account can have a alias. Emails to the provider are sorted by name and put into the relievent account. Hence it is easy to have two names funnel to the same account. Replies however will almost always have the same "reply to" and not the name that the email was recieved as.

Different email accounts can't use the alias ability, as the emails are recieved by different providers. It is however fairly easy to configure a email account to send any recieved email to another account, as has been said. Hence you can achieve something similar. Though yet again replies won't be from the email address that the email was recieved at.

Finally your email client (the software that you use to check, read and write emails) can access multiple accounts. My phone checks both XYZ@gmail and ABC@talktalk for emails to me. In this case they turn up in different inboxes. However the client will display the combined recieved emails. As they are STILL in seperate accounts any reply will be sent from the account that it was recieved by and contain the appropriate response address.

MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

Postby MyNameIsUrl » September 3rd, 2020, 3:56 pm

dealtn wrote:Can you not just have a rule that sends/forwards all the email from the second gmail address to the first? That's how my system is configured.

Would the second email address (yet to be created) be a new account or a new address?

MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

Postby MyNameIsUrl » September 3rd, 2020, 3:59 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:You are describing two or more different things.

An email account can have a alias. Emails to the provider are sorted by name and put into the relievent account. Hence it is easy to have two names funnel to the same account. Replies however will almost always have the same "reply to" and not the name that the email was recieved as.

Different email accounts can't use the alias ability, as the emails are recieved by different providers. It is however fairly easy to configure a email account to send any recieved email to another account, as has been said. Hence you can achieve something similar. Though yet again replies won't be from the email address that the email was recieved at.

Finally your email client (the software that you use to check, read and write emails) can access multiple accounts. My phone checks both XYZ@gmail and ABC@talktalk for emails to me. In this case they turn up in different inboxes. However the client will display the combined recieved emails. As they are STILL in seperate accounts any reply will be sent from the account that it was recieved by and contain the appropriate response address.

(My bold) yes, I'm confused by the terminology. To acheive what I outlined should I set up a new gmail account, or a new gmail address (if that's different), or use a gmail alias?

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » September 3rd, 2020, 4:00 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:

To be clear I am happy to access both email accounts and choose whether to "reply" from the 1st or 2nd, but all emails are forwarded from the 2nd to the 1st for convenience, as the first one is always open.

In my case I am a Director of a company, and that is the 2nd email address. Having my personal one open at all times I don't miss any of the business emails, but not all of them are "business". Business ones are replied to on the company email address, others might get to a reply from either. It's just about convenience.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » September 3rd, 2020, 4:01 pm

MyNameIsUrl wrote:
dealtn wrote:Can you not just have a rule that sends/forwards all the email from the second gmail address to the first? That's how my system is configured.

Would the second email address (yet to be created) be a new account or a new address?

In my case it is a second account. I didn't set it up so don't know if it can be done an alternative way, but it works for me.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » September 3rd, 2020, 4:20 pm

MyNameIsUrl wrote:(My bold) yes, I'm confused by the terminology. To acheive what I outlined should I set up a new gmail account, or a new gmail address (if that's different), or use a gmail alias?

You can have more than one gmail account. The emails are held by google. When you access them a local copy is updated.
Here's a link to how you would set your phone up.
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/pr ... gle-gmail/
Alternatively you can have a single account that can recieve emails addressed to multiple different addresses.
Here's a link for that.
https://support.cloudhq.net/how-to-setup-gmail-aliases/

The question is, do you want to be able to SEND emails as both johnsmith and quizteam, and how much effort you wish to put in to do so.

If it's simply a question of recieving emails then an alias is the neatest way to do so. That is to say that you can later remove the alias causing such emails to bounce.
If you want to send as if you are two seperate people then two seperate accounts would be the easiest way to do so.

It is possible to send emails from one account, but with the "reply to" field set to a different account. Most client packages will identify the email as coming from the "reply to" account and that's where replies would be sent. However it's not usually easy to do so.

BTW, I would be very surprised if the account quizteam was still available.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » September 3rd, 2020, 4:30 pm

MyNameIsUrl wrote:(My bold) yes, I'm confused by the terminology. To acheive what I outlined should I set up a new gmail account, or a new gmail address (if that's different), or use a gmail alias?

In your case I'd suggest a seperate account/address as that would make third party admin alot easier if you ever needed it.
You used to be able to set up Gmail addresses without a corresponding Google account. I'm not sure if you still can because of all the spam/spoofing issues that have plagued email over the years.
In my case I have multiple Google accounts/Gmail addresses and some of those Gmail addresses also have aliases associated with them.
Likewise Microsoft accounts/Outlook.com addresses/Aliases

As already discussed getting unified inboxes is easy with the various email clients (Gmail/Outlook), you can also set up filters and coloured labels in the Gmail webmail settings for multiple addresses to feed into the inbox and make it less messy.
Forwarding the secondary address to the primary is the simplest option, but I'd be inclined to look at 'pulling' email into the primary address with IMAP (or 'Gmailify' in Googles terminology), as that has less issues around being spam foldered.

tikunetih
Lemon Slice

Postby tikunetih » September 3rd, 2020, 4:47 pm

1. Create a 2nd Google Account, eg. "quizteamadmin@gmail.com"

2. While logged into and having selected that 2nd account, within Gmail select Settings/Cog and select "Forwarding and POP/IMAP"

3. Under "Forwarding" press "Add a forwarding address" and enter the address of your main Google account.

4. Optionally select "Mark Gmail's copy as read" in the drop-down.

5. Verify the confirmation email sent to your main Gmail account.

6. On receiving an email to this new address in your main Gmail account, optionally select "Filter messages like these" and create a Filter and Label to visually distinguish these emails from those addressed to your main account.

HTH.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » September 3rd, 2020, 5:02 pm

The forwarding issue is being mitigated somewhat by this, but it isn't universal yet...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authentic ... ived_Chain
Authenticated Received Chain (ARC) is an email authentication system designed to allow an intermediate mail server like a mailing list or forwarding service to sign an email's original authentication results. This allows a receiving service to validate an email when the email's SPF and DKIM records are rendered invalid by an intermediate server's processing
Cont.

MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

Postby MyNameIsUrl » September 3rd, 2020, 5:53 pm

tikunetih wrote:1. Create a 2nd Google Account, eg. "quizteamadmin@gmail.com"

2. While logged into and having selected that 2nd account, within Gmail select Settings/Cog and select "Forwarding and POP/IMAP"

3. Under "Forwarding" press "Add a forwarding address" and enter the address of your main Google account.

4. Optionally select "Mark Gmail's copy as read" in the drop-down.

5. Verify the confirmation email sent to your main Gmail account.

6. On receiving an email to this new address in your main Gmail account, optionally select "Filter messages like these" and create a Filter and Label to visually distinguish these emails from those addressed to your main account.

HTH.

Thanks, that successfully forwards emails from the new 2nd account into the old inbox. But, as others have hinted, if I reply to a forwarded email this will be from the original johnsmith address, potentially confusing the recipients. I expect that I will have to investigate setting something up within settings in the original account, whereas the forwarding was set up from settings with the new 2nd account.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » September 3rd, 2020, 6:02 pm

Settings/see all settings/Accounts and Import/Check email from other accounts/Add an email account

tikunetih
Lemon Slice

Postby tikunetih » September 4th, 2020, 8:52 am

Sorry, I'd missed that requirement - I was describing what I do, and in my setup I don't need/want to send from those secondary accounts from within my main account.

But the answer is what Infrasonic said!

Settings -> Accounts and Import -> Add another email address ¦ "Treat as an Alias" ¦ "Reply from the same address to which the message was sent"

Do this in the primary account, specifying the address of the secondary account from which you're collecting email and wish to be able to send as.

That seems to work, with the correct "From:" data set, but note that someone examining the email headers will be able to see your primary account's address in there, so be aware of that (eg. for privacy reasons).

NB it's easy to have multiple, concurrent Google Account logins and thus Gmail sessions open, at least on the web interface. I colour each account very differently (eg. bold primary colours for the secondary accounts), under Gmail Settings -> Themes, as a visual reminder of which one I'm in.

tikunetih
Lemon Slice

Postby tikunetih » September 4th, 2020, 11:02 am

Also, all the above faffage is only required if you're using the Gmail web app...

If Android-only, then all you need is the new secondary Google Account; simply add this account within the mobile Gmail app and, if you wish to, choose the 'All inboxes' view in the hamburger menu in order to see the two accounts' email co-mingled.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » September 4th, 2020, 3:40 pm

On my desktop PC I have three saved URL bookmarks for the different Gmail accounts.
Sometimes the saved URL addresses will get corrupted and you'll be logged into the primary account, or vice versa.

If you right click the bookmark and go to edit you can recover the correct URL by simply changing the number.
So primary account will be...https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox
Secondary will be '1', third will be '2' et al.

If you wanted to get really fancy you could set up Gmail accounts that are purely there as an aggregator backup mirror accounts for all your other email addresses, which will give online redundancy in case of outages or armageddon data loss with other ecosystems (domain mail and Microsoft Outlook.com accounts in may case).
Gmail will save to offline as well (you need to turn it on) but only up to three months, so a proper offline email backup solution should be run in parallel for anything important.

Set up IMAP (Gmailify) it will preserve the folder hierarchy of the accounts you pull.
If you want a one way copy direct archive mirror of your inbox only then POP3 is also useful (with leave copy on server).
As the POP3 isn't a two way sync then in the event of disaster you'll still have your mirrored inbox archive.
I've got two Gmail accounts set up that way, one IMAP and one POP3. Polling on the IMAP is pretty much instant, POP3 is hourly, so be aware that if you move emails to folders before the POP3 Gmail account has polled it won't copy them across. You can manually invoke the POP3 polling if needs be.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”