Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

browser issue??

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

browser issue??

Postby mutantpoodle » September 7th, 2020, 10:51 am

I use CHROME for 99% of everything I do online
BUT
I have one bank account in Portugal that will not accept a password stage of operation whilst in CHROME
I can access the account
I can see all required details

but I cannot make a transfer....usual DDs go in and ot without problems

I have asked the bank who advised me to try different browser....which I did...and all works fine with EDGE

apparently I am the only customer havig this problem...and the bank uses CHROME in the branch

is there some obvious thing I am doing wrong...is there a simple solution as its a pain having to change browsers as and when

hopefully someone can suggest something easy to understand

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: browser issue??

Postby kiloran » September 7th, 2020, 10:59 am

Do you have any active extensions in Chrome? (Settings/More Tools/Extensions)
What happens if you disable them?

--kiloran

JonE
Lemon Slice

Postby JonE » September 7th, 2020, 11:27 am

mutantpoodle wrote:is there some obvious thing I am doing wrong...is there a simple solution as its a pain having to change browsers as and when
I find it helpful to use portable browsers (downloaded from 'safe' providers) so I can run sanity checks without disturbing any installed browser. It's an easy way to try a clean profile with default configuration and no add-ons so as to check on behaviours and compare configurations.

You don't actually 'install' portable apps and can stick them anywhere - even on USB memory sticks - and 'uninstall' them by simple deletion if you wish:
https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/ ... e_portable

If it works with that then you know it's solely your installation/configuration so can start narrowing down which of your specific settings or add-ons is tripping you up.

As an aside, if the EDGE with which you tested was the Chromium-based EDGE then you wouldn't have been testing exactly what you would have been testing with a browser not based on Chromium (such as Firefox). Sometimes one might need to test with more than one base to help refine your approach to a problem and portable versions make that clean, quick and easy.

Cheers!

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » September 7th, 2020, 12:08 pm

kiloran wrote:Do you have any active extensions in Chrome? (Settings/More Tools/Extensions)

--kiloran

hi
i have deleted the CHROME ones...spreadsheets etc and now only have 3 ad blockers and something called ''Roaming rate'' no idea what that is

would the CHROME ones have been the problem?

dont understand the other response at all...sorry!

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » September 7th, 2020, 12:23 pm

mutantpoodle wrote:
kiloran wrote:Do you have any active extensions in Chrome? (Settings/More Tools/Extensions)

--kiloran

hi
i have deleted the CHROME ones...spreadsheets etc and now only have 3 ad blockers and something called ''Roaming rate'' no idea what that is

would the CHROME ones have been the problem?

dont understand the other response at all...sorry!

I'm not sure if you are saying you've fixed the problem or not :(
From Settings / More Tools / Extensions, did you disable all extensions (no need to delete them)? Probably best to restart Chrome after you have disabled them.
Did that fix your problem? If so, re-enable the extensions one by one and trying to log in to your bank account after each, until you have identified which extension caused the problem

--kiloran

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 7th, 2020, 12:48 pm

A likely explanation is a clash with your regular privacy and/or security settings. Or some "safe surfing" option. Imposed either by you or your ISP.

Worth a try: open a private/incognito window. Just to check it's not some cookie or cached content getting in the way.

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » September 7th, 2020, 1:07 pm

mutantpoodle wrote:i have deleted the CHROME ones...spreadsheets etc and now only have 3 ad blockers and something called ''Roaming rate'' no idea what that is

'Roaming Rate' would appear to be something you're unlikely to want:

https://infectedbrowser.wordpress.com/2 ... omponents/

Also, why do you have 3 ad blockers? One should be sufficient.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » September 7th, 2020, 4:15 pm

ok I have
ADBLOCK
ADBLOCK plus
Ublock origin
as ad blockers...all were recommended at various ties here or on MF some time ago

re testing the problem only arises when i need to make a transfer...I can get into my account etc just not DO anything
so checking is not an easy option
but I deleted all extensions except the ad blockers.........so I shall see in next weeks as and when

many thanks

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » September 7th, 2020, 4:30 pm

mutantpoodle wrote:ok I have
ADBLOCK
ADBLOCK plus
Ublock origin
as ad blockers...all were recommended at various ties here or on MF some time ago

re testing the problem only arises when i need to make a transfer...I can get into my account etc just not DO anything
so checking is not an easy option
but I deleted all extensions except the ad blockers.........so I shall see in next weeks as and when

many thanks

Just run one ad block extension, uBlock Origin is my favoured choice. (Running multiple ad block options in parallel may well be causing your problems).

If you still have problems with the site with just uBO on then you can turn uBO off just for that site by clicking on the uBO icon next to the URL bar at the top of the browser, and then clicking on the blue power switch icon that appears, which will turn it off.
That will turn uBO off completely just for that site, and it will remember that for the next time you visit.

If you still have problems with that specific site functionality after that then it will be something other than uBO causing it.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 8th, 2020, 1:09 pm

I run several, too (much the same as mutantpoodle). That's primarily historic: I've introduced new ones as existing ones have failed to deal with adblock-busters, or made it difficult to select something that needs blocking[1]. But it's also current, in that it gives me multiple shots when something defeats one blocker - or its element selection.

If I had just one, UBO would be my current preference, too.

[1] Generally that's anything that moves unbidden - e.g. animated images, scrolling text, carousels. Even if the subject of them interests me. Your news ticker or slideshow or video is fine provided the choice to run it is mine!

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » September 8th, 2020, 1:24 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:I run several, too (much the same as mutantpoodle). That's primarily historic: I've introduced new ones as existing ones have failed to deal with adblock-busters, or made it difficult to select something that needs blocking[1]. But it's also current, in that it gives me multiple shots when something defeats one blocker - or its element selection.

If I had just one, UBO would be my current preference, too.

[1] Generally that's anything that moves unbidden - e.g. animated images, scrolling text, carousels. Even if the subject of them interests me. Your news ticker or slideshow or video is fine provided the choice to run it is mine!

I used to run uBO and Ghostery, it caused constant issues. Eventually I just turned Ghostery off, kept trying it out again after updates, and then it would cause issues again. So I completely uninstalled it. Same with things like no-script, there's just too many competing variables.

uBO has a lot of customisation options under the hood (like block element) that can be used to solve globally difficult to kill issues. Once you get your head around them I've found that I don't need any of the other options, so I've uninstalled them, and subsequently had less website functionality issues.

Occasionally even just running uBO will cause an issue, but the developer is pretty on it and a fix is normally only a day or two away.
If I know what the issue is I'll temporarily suspend that bit of uBO (if possible) until it's fixed. If not I'll just turn uBO off for that site for a while.

YMMV...

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”