Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Printing problems

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
zico
Lemon Quarter

Printing problems

Postby zico » September 8th, 2020, 11:26 am

I have a Canon MG200 printer, but when I select print, it defaults to OneNote (Desktop). Normally no problem, because I just change to select Canon MG200 instead and it works fine.

However, recently on many apps, such as Booking.Com, I've started just getting 2 printer options - OneNote (Desktop) or Microsoft XPS Document Writer.
If I select Microsoft XPS Document Writer, it then opens an explorer window headed "Save Print Output As" and invites me to select a file name, but doesn't allow me to actually print what I want to print.

If I use apps such as Word, I can simply select my MG3200 printer, and it works fine.

Any ideas/fixes/suggestions?

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: Printing problems

Postby Infrasonic » September 8th, 2020, 11:36 am

You haven't stated but I'm assuming you're using W10...https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hel ... lt-printer

zico
Lemon Quarter

Postby zico » September 8th, 2020, 1:31 pm

No, I'm using Windows 8. This has only started to come up in the last few months - previously I could simply select my Canon printer.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » September 8th, 2020, 1:48 pm

zico wrote:No, I'm using Windows 8. This has only started to come up in the last few months - previously I could simply select my Canon printer.

Have a look at the default printer.
It can change of its own free will...it's happened to me on XP, W10 and other PC's I've looked after, switching from a defined printer to 'let windows choose' and then the issues you described start occurring.
I suspect it may be related to Windows updates but I can't prove that.
If you've got any old printers that aren't currently used still installed in 'printers', delete them too.

zico
Lemon Quarter

Postby zico » September 8th, 2020, 2:48 pm

I tried changing my default printer from OneNote, but it still doesn't work.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » September 8th, 2020, 3:29 pm

zico wrote:I tried changing my default printer from OneNote, but it still doesn't work.

Try a restart (full cold boot) to see if that clears it and offers you the printer as a default option. If so make it the default.

If that doesn't help I'd suggest reinstalling the printer.

I don't use W8 but I'd imagine you could just delete/remove it from printers, restart the PC with the printer plugged in and it will detect 'new hardware' and reinstall it. Then check and make it the default printer again, hopefully it will have reset everything.
If it doesn't auto detect, use the manual 'install new printer' wizard route.

I did get exactly what you have described once on my W10 PC and the deletion/reinstallation fixed it and I got my default printer back.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”