Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Desktop disconnects from Wi-Fi

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Desktop disconnects from Wi-Fi

Postby Maroochydore » September 18th, 2020, 4:19 pm

I've started to have this issue and I've got it into my brain that it's something to do with two recent Microsoft updates but possibly a co-incidence. I've deleted these (KB4576484 and KB4574727) but now they're waiting to re-install.

It is not consistent. When the computer boots up or re-awakens quite often I've lost my internet connection. Doesn't always happen. Very occasionally it will dis-connect whilst I'm working. Recovery is very simple, I simply click the wi-fi symbol in the system tray, hit the disconnect button and re-connect without issue. If I run the troubleshooter I get the message "Wi-fi doesn't have a valid IP configuration" and the troubleshooter does the fix.

However it is annoying and as I stated, has only just started doing this.

I've tried a few cures;
updated the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 driver (needed doing according to Intel Driver and Support app)
reset the TCP/IP Stack
checked “Wired Autoconfig” setting (it had gone to manual and wasn't running)
checked "WLAN Autoconfig" all as should be

Anything else I should be looking for?

As I said, an annoyance rather than a big issue but would be nice to get it back to a steady state so any help would be appeciated.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: Desktop disconnects from Wi-Fi

Postby kiloran » September 18th, 2020, 4:34 pm

I had a similar problem some 5 years ago, maybe more. I tried all sorts of tricks, reinstalls, etc to no avail. At the time, my router was a BT Home Hub 3, so I tried replacing it with an earlier version which I had kept and the wifi was rock solid. Went back to the HH3 and the problem returned. After a lot of discussion and frustration, BT replaced my router (with a BT Home Hub 4 since the Home Hub 3 was no longer available). Had no problems since.

--kiloran

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Postby Maroochydore » September 18th, 2020, 8:23 pm

replaced my router .......... Had no problems since.

Rightly or wrongly discounted router as being the issue because a tablet and phone both stay connected when desktop drops connection. May just have a look at the router in case it's gone onto 5Mhz whereas 2.4Mhz suits desktop location better. Thanks for the heads-up.

Sobraon
2 Lemon pips

Postby Sobraon » September 19th, 2020, 12:52 am

Similar problem on my Dell laptop, tried all sorts to sort it out. In the end I 'rolled back' the driver for the wifi chip set (Intel AC-7265) to the original supplied with the laptop. On occasions (twice I think) a windows update has 'helpfully' updated the 7265 driver so I have had re-do the manual 'rollback'. The original driver supports a solid connection to the wifi and seamlessly to the extender.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » September 19th, 2020, 11:06 am

If it's a driver issue it is possible to block W10 from auto updating specific drivers. I did it once with a printer but I can't remember the details now as it was a few years ago. Your favoured search engine should give the procedure.

If your PC is set up with fast startup that could affect wifi connections. If you've got an SSD boot drive turn fast startup off so you get a full cold boot every time (it won't make much difference to actual boot time, maybe add a few seconds).

You can turn off wifi suspends in the advanced settings of W10 power options, which might help if you have issues with wifi not reconnecting automatically from sleep/hibernate.

I've had a couple of instances in the past year with my W10 desktop where none of the above has worked after a lost connection and I've had to delete the WiFi settings and redo it as a new connection (1 minute job), which has always worked first time.
I'd assumed it was a rogue W10 update at some point, but I've never pursued it to find out.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » September 19th, 2020, 12:54 pm

Maroochydore wrote:Rightly or wrongly discounted router as being the issue...

I know it may sound like first line telephone support centre advice, but on the rare occasion when I've had mysterious wifi problems I've most often found a power-off power-on cycling of the router has fixed it, and I'd suggest trying that on the basis that it'll only take a minute or two and if it doesn't help at least you've eliminated a transitory screwup within the router as the issue, and if it does help it'll save you an awful lot of time looking into more complex possibilities. :D

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » September 19th, 2020, 5:04 pm

mc2fool wrote:
Maroochydore wrote:Rightly or wrongly discounted router as being the issue...

I know it may sound like first line telephone support centre advice, but on the rare occasion when I've had mysterious wifi problems I've most often found a power-off power-on cycling of the router has fixed it, and I'd suggest trying that on the basis that it'll only take a minute or two and if it doesn't help at least you've eliminated a transitory screwup within the router as the issue, and if it does help it'll save you an awful lot of time looking into more complex possibilities. :D

I'm currently at another property and the WiFi was playing up (no internet connection). Having faffed with network settings to no effect I've just rebooted the router, all hunky dory now...

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Postby Maroochydore » September 19th, 2020, 10:50 pm

I hope I'm not tempting fate but I've had no disconnect for a straight twelve hours now so hopefully it has been solved with the help of Plusnet's techies.

A very efficient lady did some tests and decided all good but as she herself had suffered the same issue sometime ago suggested there may be a conflict between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands. She talked me through disabling the 5Ghz band and, as stated, had no issues since.

Again, thanks to Kiloran for pointing me in a direction I had discounted.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”