Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

What is f.txt?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Gostevie
2 Lemon pips

What is f.txt?

Postby Gostevie » September 24th, 2020, 12:24 pm

Dear Fools,

I use a Samsung Android phone that is a few years old but works well enough. Recently it has been downloading a file called "f.txt" which I never open and delete. Does anybody here know what this is?

Kind regards,

Gostevie

didds
Lemon Half

Re: What is f.txt?

Postby didds » September 24th, 2020, 12:28 pm

theer seem to be a lot of hits in google for "f.txt" but nothing specific towards andrioids.

of course you may already have reached the same conclusion hence you asking :-)

I'll get me coat!

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: What is f.txt?

Postby Breelander » September 24th, 2020, 5:17 pm

Gostevie wrote:I use a Samsung Android phone that is a few years old but works well enough. Recently it has been downloading a file called "f.txt" which I never open and delete. Does anybody here know what this is?

As Didds says, there are a lot of Google hits for this. Unlike Didds, I've found some that refer to Android (and to Windows PCs, come to that). it appears to be a kludge once used by some websites to protect you...

• Some time around the summer of 2014, IT Security Engineer Michele Spagnuolo (apparently employed at Google Zurich) developed a proof-of-concept exploit and supporting tool called Rosetta Flash that demonstrated a way for hackers to run malicious Flash SWF files from a remote domain in a manner which tricks browsers into thinking it came from the same domain the user was currently browsing....
  • Adobe has released at least 5 different fixes over the past year while trying to comprehensively fix this vulnerability, but various major websites also introduced their own fixes earlier on in order to prevent mass vulnerability to their userbases. Among the sites to do so: Google, Youtube, Facebook, Github, and others. One component of the ad-hoc mitigation implemented by these website owners was to force the HTTP Header Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=f.txt on the returns from JSONP endpoints. This has the annoyance of causing the browser to automatically download a file called f.txt that you didn't request—but it is far better than your browser automatically running a possibly malicious Flash file....
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/285 ... f-txt-file

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”