Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Can't access Mail on Mac

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Leither
Lemon Slice

Can't access Mail on Mac

Postby Leither » September 29th, 2020, 9:10 am

I'm using an Apple Mac, my email provider is Virgin, I have Bitdefender installed. OS is up to date.

Lately I've been having problems accessing my emails on my Mac. No problems on my iPad or iPhone. Mail hasn't updated for a couple of days now. If I go to Mail/Accounts and click on my NTLWorld a/c, it asks me to enter the password for "...user XXXXXX.XXX@ntlworld.com" (my email address). I do that but it says it's unable to verify it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards.

Leither
Lemon Slice

Re: Can't access Mail on Mac

Postby Leither » September 29th, 2020, 9:25 am

I should add that my Mac often says it's had to restart because of a problem. This produces a report for sending to Apple but all gobbledegook to me. Don't know if this is related.

Regards,

Gordon.

madhatter
Lemon Slice

Postby madhatter » September 29th, 2020, 11:17 am

I have had a few odd occasions over the years when Apple Mail has insisted that (usually outgoing mail) server is wrong or needs a password yet has stoutly rejected my attempts to reset it. A few times I tried for a while, got thoroughly cheesed off, and went away to do something else, only to find it had mysteriously fixed itself a day or two later.

I hadn’t downloaded any update or changed any settings between it not working and working ag, so I put the problem down to AOL , my email provider, doing “something funny”.

It hasn’t happened often, but has occasionally occurred since and masterly inaction has generally worked.

Not always though. I did once get it back by removing the account and reinstating it.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » September 29th, 2020, 11:28 am

Have you checked the status for your provider to see if there's any maintenance or upgrades going on?
https://my.virginmedia.com/faults/service-status
https://downdetector.co.uk/status/virgin-media/

Leither
Lemon Slice

Postby Leither » September 29th, 2020, 12:33 pm

THANKS BOTH.

1. Yes, it has happened in the past that incoming emails have just appeared of their own freewill, usually later the same day, but this time it's been a couple of days.

2. I don't think it's anything to do with VM, as I said I can still receive my emails on my iPad & iPhone.

Regards,

Leither.

Leither
Lemon Slice

Postby Leither » September 29th, 2020, 12:35 pm

Speak of the devil.....they've just appeared.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » September 29th, 2020, 12:59 pm

Leither wrote:2. I don't think it's anything to do with VM, as I said I can still receive my emails on my iPad & iPhone.

It's working now which is the main thing, but it doesn't always follow that because you can access a service successfully on one OS/device(s) that there aren't issues at the provider's server end affecting other OS'/devices/apps. Mobile services maybe a different set of servers and/or different containerised apps. to the ones with the issues.
Large providers will have hundreds or possibly thousands of servers each with multiple container instances providing their services.
Many will hire server space with the large cloud providers like Amazon (AWS), Google, Microsoft (Azure) et al.

Leither
Lemon Slice

Postby Leither » September 29th, 2020, 4:03 pm

OK, thanks for that Infrasonic. If it happens again I might given Virgin a call.

Regards,

Leither.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”