Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Powerline Adaptors, wi-fi and concerns over EM radiation in the home

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
richfool
Lemon Quarter

Powerline Adaptors, wi-fi and concerns over EM radiation in the home

Postby richfool » September 29th, 2020, 9:39 am

I recently bought a Powerline adaptor (a devolo dLAN 550 Starter Kit), which sends your broadband signal from the router, via an adaptor plugged in to the adjacent wall socket, - through your electric wiring, - to another Powerline adaptor(s) in other rooms. From the adaptor(s) in the other room(s) you can then connect your laptop/computer either by ethernet cable for the fastest speed connection, or otherwise the adaptor also re-transmits the wi-fi signal within that other room, providing a stronger signal and faster (download) speeds.

https://www.hns-berks.co.uk/blogs/power ... s-and-cons
Powerline adapters pros and cons -
A Powerline adapter is a device which uses your homes electric wiring to transmit communications signals. The adapters (at least two) plug into your wall sockets and use Ethernet cables to connect to your router at one end and your device at the other (TV, games console, PC whatever it may be).

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/8-things- ... now-first/

Since setting up my system, I became concerned about the amount of radiation these things might be emitting, - i.e. from the router (wi-fi) and the adaptor (wi-fi) in the other room. Though noted no issues with any ethernet cable connections. According to some sources, the wi-fi signal seems to be an issue, not to mention the signals to and from one's mobile/smart phones:

https://www.quora.com/Is-the-electomagn ... -from-Wifi
Is the electomagnetic radiation from HomePlug style networking 'worse' than from Wifi? - Quora
Note that “Home Plug” devices cover a fairly wide range of specs and capabilities. Some are designed to act as WiFi network extenders, using the power line as though it were (a very poor) Ethernet Some are designed to link appliances together. But...

https://en.geovital.com/ethernet-over-p ... h-effects/

https://www.eleanorsteinmd.ca/blog/wifi-exposure-risk

Whilst I am still researching and assimilating all the input on this subject, I have decided, in addition to already putting our mobile smartphones into flight mode at night and leaving them outside the bedroom, and also turning off things like bluetooth and wifi on the phones when they are not in use in the daytime, I shall also turn off the Powerline adaptors at night. Additionally, I am also thinking of turning off the router at night, although I have noted some recommendations not to do so, as it can allegedly disrupt your connection at the local telephone exchange and possibly cause your broadband to run more slowly for several days whilst the system seeks to "bed-in" again. I have also heard suggestions that BT might re-allocate your socket at the exchange (or words to that affect), if they see it not being used. Our router does have an on/off switch, so I would propose to use that rather than turn if off at the wall socket, (if that makes a difference?).

I am also pondering whether I should/could, at least for some of the time, (e.g. when no one is using wi-fi on their mobile phones), disable the wi-fi on the router and adapters and just use ethernet cable to my laptop, (not that I currently know how to do that)? (I have a router not a modem).

(This paragraph is a rather an aside/separate point, but in one of the articles they also recommend having your microwave oven in a different room, or leaving the room when it is in use. I'm not sure of the validity of the test, they went on to suggest, - which was to put your mobile phone in the microwave, Do NOT turn the oven on, but close the door and call your phone (from another phone). The signal reached my phone and it rang. They suggested that that illustrated that the oven isn't microwave radiation proof. Could that be because the wavelengths used are different?)

Possible part solutions include:

https://healthylifestylesmt.com/article ... ds/6hacks/

https://ehtrust.org/hardwire-ipad-ipod-iphone/

So that's the story so far, though as I said it is still very much work in progress.

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Powerline Adaptors, wi-fi and concerns over EM radiation in the home

Postby swill453 » September 29th, 2020, 9:48 am

richfool wrote:Since setting up my system, I became concerned about the amount of radiation these things might be emitting, - i.e. from the router (wi-fi) and the adaptor (wi-fi) in the other room. Though noted no issues with any ethernet cable connections. According to some sources, the wi-fi signal seems to be an issue, not to mention the signals to and from one's mobile/smart phones:

From your link: "But NONE of them radiate enough energy to worry anyone outside of the tinfoil hat brigade."

I'd tend to go along with that.

Scott.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » September 29th, 2020, 11:06 am

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 29th, 2020, 11:23 am

swill453 wrote:
richfool wrote:Since setting up my system, I became concerned about the amount of radiation these things might be emitting, - i.e. from the router (wi-fi) and the adaptor (wi-fi) in the other room. Though noted no issues with any ethernet cable connections. According to some sources, the wi-fi signal seems to be an issue, not to mention the signals to and from one's mobile/smart phones:

From your link: "But NONE of them radiate enough energy to worry anyone outside of the tinfoil hat brigade."

Scott.

A tin foil hat in the right place can work wonders for wifi reception!

-sd

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » September 29th, 2020, 2:13 pm

servodude wrote:
swill453 wrote:

Scott.

-sd

As opposed to a tin hat, would two open biscuit tins taped together, create a sort of faraday cage around my router, to cut WiFi emissions, when it isn't needed, such as when I use an Ethernet cable? Though I guess the router might overheat.

Despite some arguments saying it's of little or no affect, there is a lot of material around asserting that the radiation from mobile phones and wifi etc is harmful, as evidenced in some of the links in my OP.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » September 29th, 2020, 2:19 pm

richfool wrote:As opposed to a tin hat, would two open biscuit tins taped together, create a sort of faraday cage around my router, to cut WiFi emissions, when it isn't needed, such as when I use an Ethernet cable? Though I guess the router might overheat.

Usually you can go into your router settings page and switch off WiFi. I certainly can with my Virgin Media hub.

Scott.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » September 29th, 2020, 3:31 pm

richfool wrote:...there is a lot of material around asserting that the radiation from mobile phones and wifi etc is harmful, as evidenced in some of the links in my OP.

The inverse square law comes into play here. Mobile phones: possibly (when making a call). WiFi: I very rarely hold a laptop or my router to the side of my head.

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » September 29th, 2020, 8:00 pm

richfool wrote:
servodude wrote:
swill453 wrote:From your link: "But NONE of them radiate enough energy to worry anyone outside of the tinfoil hat brigade."

Scott.

-sd

As opposed to a tin hat, would two open biscuit tins taped together, create a sort of faraday cage around my router, to cut WiFi emissions, when it isn't needed, such as when I use an Ethernet cable? Though I guess the router might overheat.

Despite some arguments saying it's of little or no affect, there is a lot of material around asserting that the radiation from mobile phones and wifi etc is harmful, as evidenced in some of the links in my OP.

Many routers now have a "Wifi off" button.

There is a lot of material around but a lot of it is flannel...

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » September 29th, 2020, 9:04 pm

If you use a mobile phone you cannot logically worry about wifi. However, if you want to reduce the radiation then use ethernet cables rather than wifi.

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » September 29th, 2020, 9:59 pm

johnhemming wrote:If you use a mobile phone you cannot logically worry about wifi. However, if you want to reduce the radiation then use ethernet cables rather than wifi.

Upto 1G between devices in the same house, and it frees up wifi bandwidth for handheld/lap bound kit.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » September 29th, 2020, 10:04 pm

It's ionising radiation that harms the body which should be your concern. (Atom bombs!)

WiFi uses electromagnetic radiation. You can get powelines without WiFi and use the ether net ports. If you are worried about this sort of radiation are you going to get rid of all your electrical devices as well? TV, lamps, razors etc

You can often see its effects when you shave near the TV as you see fuzz on the picture. These days electrical devices are designed to limit emissions as they can interfere with other devices. You may have read recently about the old faulty TV in Wales that stopped the village Internet from working.

If you still get spooked by all this, you can be one of the tin hat brigade by using a faraday cage around your bed or in rooms you don't want signals getting in or out.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » September 29th, 2020, 11:22 pm

As above.

I'm sure there is a MAHOOSIVE difference between "radiation" (which you seem to be worried about) and "radio waves" (which your network emits).

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » September 30th, 2020, 2:39 am

Mike4 wrote:I'm sure there is a MAHOOSIVE difference between "radiation" (which you seem to be worried about) and "radio waves" (which your network emits).

There are lots of types of radiation.Much radiation is electromagnetic waves. Those with a low frequency and long wavelength are known often as radio waves, as the frequency goes up through microwaves you can get to visible light, then through ultraviolet and X-rays through to gamma rays.

These are all EM radiation. Hence it does include some nuclear radiation (gamma waves). Additionally as common nuclear radiation there are beta particles (electrons or positrons) and alpha particles (two protons and two neutrons). Hence the word radiation is really broad.

The power of EM radiation is dependent upon 1 over the square of the distance. Hence if you need a signal that goes say 10 metres in a house then that signal will be 100 times weaker than a signal that goes 100 metres. A mast could be 1 km away hence the signal from a mobile to get there would need to be be 10000 of the strength of a signal to go 10 metres.

The background level of radiation from wifi etc at night really will depend on what signals it is transmitting at night. There might be something, but not as much as if someone is streaming a video over wifi.

Hence if you hold a radio transmitter a few cm from your brain you will have a much stronger signal in your brain than say keeping a laptop on your lap. At the same time if it is a more powerful transmitter then that will also result in a stronger signal.

Hence the electro magnetic radiation from a mobile phone that you are personally using to talk to someone on is likely to be a lot stronger than anything else.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 30th, 2020, 3:37 am

johnhemming wrote:
Mike4 wrote:I'm sure there is a MAHOOSIVE difference between "radiation" (which you seem to be worried about) and "radio waves" (which your network emits).

There are lots of types of radiation.Much radiation is electromagnetic waves. Those with a low frequency and long wavelength are known often as radio waves, as the frequency goes up through microwaves you can get to visible light, then through ultraviolet and X-rays through to gamma rays.

These are all EM radiation.

Indeed!
I'll add that just between the microwaves and visible stuff is the infra-red and this is more likely to hurt you in the home than anything else (or it is if you're as clumsy a cook as me ;) )

- sd

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » September 30th, 2020, 6:41 am

Just read a couple of the links.

Now I am off to live in a cave or move to the south Pole. I know that by doing this I will still be exposed but there will be less of it. My house has mains wiring so can't live there anymore. Plus I'm changing my view on 5g towers causing corona virus cos I read something on the Internet. Anyone want to help me burn it down

I'm still going to eat rubbish, drink to excess and do no exercise but don't worry I'm taking a lift to the south Pole as its the safest form of transport, no driving for me. Have you seen the number of people injured or killed in those things.

Plus living alone in the south Pole will prove 5g towers cause corona, you need to publish that study, on parchment of course. :shock:

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » September 30th, 2020, 9:40 am

Thanks for the sensible and constructive replies. I have been ploughing through numerous sources of information on the subject.

To summarise, in essence I conclude that I should turn the router off at night, put our smartphones into flight mode, and use an Ethernet cable to link to my laptop.

As the remotely positioned Powerline adaptor, from which I am currently connecting my laptop by Ethernet cable, also emits a WiFi signal, I am not sure how strong that signal is (it's about 1.5m behind me), and whether I should dispense with that. I'm currently working on disabling the wifi signal from it. If I can't do that and dispense with that adaptor, then I would need to run a much longer (c 9m) (and untidy) Ethernet cable from the router in the hallway.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » September 30th, 2020, 9:52 am

I would guess that the amount of electromagnetic radiation we get from the Sun vastly outweighs anything our little wifi devices expose us to in the home. You really need to live in a mini faraday cage if you are worried about this!

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » September 30th, 2020, 10:11 am

If you spend a lot of time on your mobile phone making/receiving calls then I'd be inclined to get a wired headset as a precaution.

The rest of it (WiFI et al) is somewhat moot as the general background radiation from the sun is going to be of more concern long term.
Let's just hope the magnetosphere holds up... :twisted:

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » September 30th, 2020, 11:05 am

richfool wrote: If I can't do that and dispense with that adaptor, then I would need to run a much longer (c 9m) (and untidy) Ethernet cable from the router in the hallway.

The trip hazard risk far outstrips the health risks from electromagnetic radiation.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » September 30th, 2020, 11:06 am

Infrasonic wrote:If you spend a lot of time on your mobile phone making/receiving calls then I'd be inclined to get a wired headset as a precaution.

The rest of it (WiFI et al) is somewhat moot as the general background radiation from the sun is going to be of more concern long term.
Let's just hope the magnetosphere holds up... :twisted:

Twenty years ago I worked with a guy who had obviously read about EM radiation from mobile phones frying the brain. He always used a wired earpiece when on calls.

Then, one day, a story hit the headlines suggesting that the earpiece cable resulted in more radiation reaching the brain than if the phone itself is held to the ear! From that day, he never used the earpiece again!

I use a Bluetooth headset when on any but the briefest calls - but that's mainly so I keep both hands free to write or type during the call. It's a bonus that the strength of the Bluetooth signal is less than that of the transmission between the phone and the cell mast. Bluetooth's range is a few metres rather than a few kilometres!

Remember that - counterintuitively - a strong phone signal, as indicated on the phone's display, results in the transmitter in the phone emitting less radiation during calls, as it is designed to reduce the output power to the minimum necessary to maintain the call.

Watis

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”