Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

File History Drive

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
sg31
Lemon Quarter

File History Drive

Postby sg31 » October 3rd, 2020, 12:10 pm

Help. Windows 10.

I keep getting a message to reconnect my 'file history drive' to my desktop. The computer was a recent purchase and I didn't connect my external drive so presumably this is what it means. I've looked up what I should do and it suggests reconnecting my FH Drive which I've done (it's got plenty of space available). My computer shows the drive. I then told the computer to run a back up.

It just keeps telling me I must reconnect my file history drive. I did a scan of the drive and it comes up ok but it won't carry out the scan so I keep getting the same message. I could stop notifications but that wouldn't sort the problem, just hide it.

Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong?

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: File History Drive

Postby mc2fool » October 3rd, 2020, 3:15 pm

Go to Settings > Update & security > Backup

If you see Add a drive then click that and do so.

If not then click More options and scroll to the bottom and click See advanced settings. That should show you the drive it'll be using for File History and if not then you can click Select drive to do so.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » October 3rd, 2020, 4:14 pm

sg31 wrote:Help. Windows 10.

I keep getting a message to reconnect my 'file history drive' to my desktop. The computer was a recent purchase.....

Was this a brand new machine, or did it have a previous owner? If so, the previous user may have configured File History and forgotten to turn it off before selling it. Alternatively, have you tried to configure File History?

When File History is set up it backs up copies of any user files that have been modified recently to a History Drive. This will be an external drive or a network drive. When the drive is not there it will tell you so and ask you to reconnect it.

If you set it up yourself then you need to reconnect the missing drive. It can't be any old drive, it has to be the specific drive you set it up to use. If you don't have that drive any more then you can reconfigure it to use a new one.

If you didn't set it up yourself, then you can turn off File History. That will stop it nagging you. If you deliberately set it up and want to continue using it, perhaps the external drive is now connecting with a different drive letter? If so, reassigning it to its original letter will stop the notifications. Use Disk Management to do that.

More on setting up and using File History in this Ten Forums tutorial:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/551 ... -10-a.html

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » October 3rd, 2020, 6:18 pm

mc2fool wrote:Go to Settings > Update & security > Backup

If you see Add a drive then click that and do so.

If not then click More options and scroll to the bottom and click See advanced settings. That should show you the drive it'll be using for File History and if not then you can click Select drive to do so.

OK done that 'see avanced settings'. clicked on 'select a file history drive' that shows

'Free Agent Go Flex Drive (F)'
Data (D)

Drive F is the one I want to use

I've got 2 x Free Agent drives, I've tried connecting both in case there was a problem with one of them.

The computer has 2 hard drives a SSD which is probably drive C and a standard hard drive which I presume is D.

If I click on drive F and then ok. I get 'do you want to move your existing files too. We found some other files you previously copied to file history. We can move them to your new drive so they are still available.'

I first tried yes but that didn't work so I tried no and that seems to be working.

I'll see if it completes and maybe try a backup tomorrow. Thanks for the help. Hopefully thats sorted it, if not I'll come back for further advice.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » October 3rd, 2020, 6:20 pm

Breelander wrote:Was this a brand new machine, or did it have a previous owner? If so, the previous user may have configured File History and forgotten to turn it off before selling it. Alternatively, have you tried to configure File History?

When File History is set up it backs up copies of any user files that have been modified recently to a History Drive. This will be an external drive or a network drive. When the drive is not there it will tell you so and ask you to reconnect it.

If you set it up yourself then you need to reconnect the missing drive. It can't be any old drive, it has to be the specific drive you set it up to use. If you don't have that drive any more then you can reconfigure it to use a new one.

If you didn't set it up yourself, then you can turn off File History. That will stop it nagging you. If you deliberately set it up and want to continue using it, perhaps the external drive is now connecting with a different drive letter? If so, reassigning it to its original letter will stop the notifications. Use Disk Management to do that.

More on setting up and using File History in this Ten Forums tutorial:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/551 ... -10-a.html

I think the issue might have resolved using the advice from 'mc2Fool' but thanks for your post.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”