Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

HiFi buffs? A small but good HiFi system?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Re: HiFi buffs? A small but good HiFi system?

Postby stevensfo » May 24th, 2021, 9:07 am

bluedonkey wrote:I'm continuing this thread to raise my own query, as the previous posts may have touched upon it, not sure.

Recently was staying away and had the use of a BOSE Wave. I have a very cheap hifi and the BOSE was by contrast (to my dull ears anyway) very impressive. I don't listen to music enough to spend loads and I don't want to get up to speed on lots of tech, so I'm thinking of buying the BOSE Wave. It would be used mainly to play CDs, and secondarily to listen to the radio.

Given my £500 budget (the price of the BOSE Wave), can anyone come up with any negatives that might be a reason not to buy it?

Thanks.

I may have just been unlucky, but in my experience, the mechanism that accepts and ejects CDs like that tends to have problems more often than other systems - e.g. a drawer sliding out and top loaders.

However, Bose is a large step up from the rubbish I used to have, so maybe the mechanisms are better these days. ;)

Steve

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » September 2nd, 2021, 10:29 am

https://darko.audio/2021/09/qualcomm-br ... ouncement/

Chip manufacturer Qualcomm has today announced that it has tweaked its (lossy) aptX Adaptive codec so that its Snapdragon Sound platform can deliver CD-quality (16bit/44.1kHz) audio over Bluetooth and losslessly — no data discarded. Lossless transmission has long been the holy grail of audio enthusiasts wanting better technical performance from Bluetooth streams...
Cont.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » September 2nd, 2021, 10:48 am

Infrasonic wrote:
Chip manufacturer Qualcomm has today announced that it has tweaked its (lossy) aptX Adaptive codec so that its Snapdragon Sound platform can deliver CD-quality (16bit/44.1kHz) audio over Bluetooth and losslessly — no data discarded.
Cont.

LOL, we've come a long way since the days when you ran a bit of diamond inside a vinyl groove. Where's my dictionary? So does that mean that a piano via bluetooth will actually sound like a piano? :D

BJ ("MP3 etc is for the car, not the home")

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » September 2nd, 2021, 3:13 pm

On Android just watch out for a 'gotcha' wrt the USB output...
Natively it resamples everything to 48k - so if paying extra for 'hi rez' 24/96+ with the streaming companies you may be wasting your time...
Discussion and workarounds here...https://darko.audio/2021/07/tidal-is-qu ... droid-app/

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 2nd, 2021, 11:45 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
Infrasonic wrote:
Chip manufacturer Qualcomm has today announced that it has tweaked its (lossy) aptX Adaptive codec so that its Snapdragon Sound platform can deliver CD-quality (16bit/44.1kHz) audio over Bluetooth and losslessly — no data discarded.
Cont.

LOL, we've come a long way since the days when you ran a bit of diamond inside a vinyl groove. Where's my dictionary? So does that mean that a piano via bluetooth will actually sound like a piano? :D

BJ ("MP3 etc is for the car, not the home")

Pianos not like pianos ? Are you sampling at 8 bits?! ;)
It's cymbals that I always hear the compression noise in... that or where a held note on a cello sounds like it's been put through a phaser

Anyways I noticed that they don't mention latency anywhere in the the article when they start talking about headphones using this

my CD quality lossless bluetooth audio is really going to wind me up if it's not in sync with my video (something which appears to be a moveable feast depending on what is sharing the radio space )
they need a standardised method for coping with this magically
its tricky I know with the decode being done remotely
- but there's enough metadata scope in BT for a bit of end to end introspection (not unlike how gapless playback is done - you "just" need to work out the offsets involved)

- sd

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 4th, 2021, 9:13 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
Just as a quick update to the above - I've found myself using my free Spotify account so much over the subsequent months since this thread originated, that I've now given myself a treat and used the PayPal offer above to gain access to the Spotify Premium service for 12 months at a cost of £99 (normally around £120).

The main driver for the move was to rid myself of the really quite intrusive adverts (why so loud!! - I know, I know....), but I don't think I was aware of the additional 'download' benefits of the Premium service too much, which allows 10,000 songs per device, up to a limit of 50,000 songs across five personal devices, to be able to be downloaded locally for those periods where a data-connection can't be maintained or might be too costly to do so - there's going to be quite a few occasions over the coming year where this will apply to me, so that's another big plus for the Premium service that I will definitely benefit from...

When I considered how much I've been using the free service over the past 6 months or so, and especially now that we're getting out into the garden over the coming summer, then the above benefits along with the availability of the 'Very High' streaming quality (for internal hi-fi benefit only, really - the normal 'High' quality of the free account is absolutely brilliant for any bluetooth or out-door use to be quite honest...), I thought it was a worthwhile offer for a service that I find myself using more and more of in recent months, and discovering (and re-discovering!) music that I would simply never have found using my other normal music-channels...

I'm absolutely rubbish at treating myself with things like this, so it feels like a great present from someone really close to me - me!

£2 per week - Here's to a great summer of music for us all..

I've been meaning to come back and report how much I've been enjoying my Spotify Premium service since the above post back in April. I'm not even 5 months into my 12 months subscription, but I really do feel like it's been the best £100 that I've spent on myself for a long, long time.

The sheer scope of songs and audio that's available through this service has only really started to become apparent to me since I got seriously into using the various bits of Spotify-enabled hardware that I've got available, and to be honest, even that didn't really open up to me until I started to look into things properly once I'd started my Premium subscription, and the high-quality Spotify-connect functionality has been absolutely brilliant in being able to control either my upstairs 'home-theatre' room AV receiver, using it's HEOS Spotify functionality, or using the Windows ''media PC' that sits behind my downstairs TV and speaker set-up, all of which can be controlled by any of my Android devices (phones or tablets) using the linked Spotify app, to then remotely search and play Spotify material from the comfort of my chair, remotely controlling the audio pumping out of any of my various speaker set-ups through the house.

And that's just the hardware and software side of things - but it's been the sheer scope of music available through the service that's been really surprising. Not only is it almost impossible to find anything that's not available on the platform, but there's often a huge number of different versions available for many popular songs or tracks, whether that's the version from the original single, or the 12" version, or the album version, or quite often a range of options where they've been played live, or covered by other bands...etc..

It's a stunning music and audio service, and one area that I've not even got into yet is the massive amount of podcasts that are available, on a simply massive range of topics and subjects, so whilst I've been over the moon with discovering more and more old favourites, as well as fresh musical discoveries, it feels like there's still a massive amount of life left in terms of the available audio landscape here, and I'm thrilled that I've gifted myself something that I've both had so much enjoyment from during what's been a fairly difficult period for many of us, and which feels like it's refreshed my love of so much music from my past, as well as opening up so many new doors to music of the present...

I do really enjoy the 'Fans also like' feature of the Spotify software, where you can bounce around bands with similar styles, often re-remembered from days of youth long past, or newly-introduced when bouncing around more modern bands and music - it's great, and similar to a bookmark I've had for a few years now, called 'Music-Map', so here's a link to that if anyone wants to have a play with some of their favourite bands, to see where it leads -

https://www.music-map.com/

Currently sat with a too-large glass of Malbec listening to Pink Floyd running through their Spotify live Pulse gig.....sheer heaven....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » September 8th, 2021, 8:51 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
Just as a quick update to the above - I've found myself using my free Spotify account so much over the subsequent months since this thread originated, that I've now given myself a treat and used the PayPal offer above to gain access to the Spotify Premium service for 12 months at a cost of £99 (normally around £120).

The main driver for the move was to rid myself of the really quite intrusive adverts (why so loud!! - I know, I know....), but I don't think I was aware of the additional 'download' benefits of the Premium service too much, which allows 10,000 songs per device, up to a limit of 50,000 songs across five personal devices, to be able to be downloaded locally for those periods where a data-connection can't be maintained or might be too costly to do so - there's going to be quite a few occasions over the coming year where this will apply to me, so that's another big plus for the Premium service that I will definitely benefit from...

When I considered how much I've been using the free service over the past 6 months or so, and especially now that we're getting out into the garden over the coming summer, then the above benefits along with the availability of the 'Very High' streaming quality (for internal hi-fi benefit only, really - the normal 'High' quality of the free account is absolutely brilliant for any bluetooth or out-door use to be quite honest...), I thought it was a worthwhile offer for a service that I find myself using more and more of in recent months, and discovering (and re-discovering!) music that I would simply never have found using my other normal music-channels...

I'm absolutely rubbish at treating myself with things like this, so it feels like a great present from someone really close to me - me!

£2 per week - Here's to a great summer of music for us all..

I've been meaning to come back and report how much I've been enjoying my Spotify Premium service since the above post back in April. I'm not even 5 months into my 12 months subscription, but I really do feel like it's been the best £100 that I've spent on myself for a long, long time.

The sheer scope of songs and audio that's available through this service has only really started to become apparent to me since I got seriously into using the various bits of Spotify-enabled hardware that I've got available, and to be honest, even that didn't really open up to me until I started to look into things properly once I'd started my Premium subscription, and the high-quality Spotify-connect functionality has been absolutely brilliant in being able to control either my upstairs 'home-theatre' room AV receiver, using it's HEOS Spotify functionality, or using the Windows ''media PC' that sits behind my downstairs TV and speaker set-up, all of which can be controlled by any of my Android devices (phones or tablets) using the linked Spotify app, to then remotely search and play Spotify material from the comfort of my chair, remotely controlling the audio pumping out of any of my various speaker set-ups through the house.

And that's just the hardware and software side of things - but it's been the sheer scope of music available through the service that's been really surprising. Not only is it almost impossible to find anything that's not available on the platform, but there's often a huge number of different versions available for many popular songs or tracks, whether that's the version from the original single, or the 12" version, or the album version, or quite often a range of options where they've been played live, or covered by other bands...etc..

It's a stunning music and audio service, and one area that I've not even got into yet is the massive amount of podcasts that are available, on a simply massive range of topics and subjects, so whilst I've been over the moon with discovering more and more old favourites, as well as fresh musical discoveries, it feels like there's still a massive amount of life left in terms of the available audio landscape here, and I'm thrilled that I've gifted myself something that I've both had so much enjoyment from during what's been a fairly difficult period for many of us, and which feels like it's refreshed my love of so much music from my past, as well as opening up so many new doors to music of the present...

I do really enjoy the 'Fans also like' feature of the Spotify software, where you can bounce around bands with similar styles, often re-remembered from days of youth long past, or newly-introduced when bouncing around more modern bands and music - it's great, and similar to a bookmark I've had for a few years now, called 'Music-Map', so here's a link to that if anyone wants to have a play with some of their favourite bands, to see where it leads -

https://www.music-map.com/

Currently sat with a too-large glass of Malbec listening to Pink Floyd running through their Spotify live Pulse gig.....sheer heaven....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

I was also amazed at how much stuff there is apart from music. I often fall asleep listening to old comedy shows and Spotify automatically puts together compilations for me. So I'll be falling asleep when suddenly Jasper Carrott appears and I get told off by my wife for laughing too loud, or an old Tony Hancock, Jo Brand, Tommy Cooper, Ben Elton, Rowan Atkinson, Peter Cook, Monty Python etc, as well as loads of American comedians I've never heard of, with the occasional funny song thrown in. Then there are the more serious world news/economics podcasts which I sometimes listen to when I wake up.
Fortunately I learned the hard way to use very cheap ear buds for this, since I've destroyed quite a few, but invested in some eye-watering expensive ones for the serious music!

Steve

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 15th, 2022, 7:57 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
I've found myself using my free Spotify account so much over the subsequent months since this thread originated, that I've now given myself a treat and used the PayPal offer above to gain access to the Spotify Premium service for 12 months at a cost of £99 (normally around £120).

Coming back to this thread a year since the above post, and I'm happy to say that I'm about to renew my Spotify Premium account for another 12 months at the discounted price of £99 again, using the same PayPal process as last time -

https://www.paypal.com/uk/gifts/brands/spotify-uk-99

I've found that I get a huge amount of use out of my Spotify Premium service nowadays, and have expanded my original usage patterns pretty considerably since my early period of membership - I do a huge amount of walking with bluetooth earphones in, and play downloaded Spotify albums on my Android phone (off-line during walks), and we've also invested in an IKEA Symfonisk bookshelf speaker that connects to a local wireless network and behaves as a 'Spotify Connect' device, and as such is controllable via mobile devices with the Spotify app installed, and is a great way to enjoy Spotify music anywhere in or outside the home -

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/symfonisk-wifi-bookshelf-speaker-black-80357557/

I should say that membership of these types of fee-paying services is usually anathema to me, and so to find that I've adopted Spotify Premium with such enthusiasm really does highlight the great value for money I know I'm getting from it, and for just £2 per week it really is a great way to gain access to a simply massive range of digital audio content that's available in so many flexible ways, and delivering both 'at home' and 'away from home' opportunities to enjoy it...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » April 15th, 2022, 12:26 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:I should say that membership of these types of fee-paying services is usually anathema to me, and so to find that I've adopted Spotify Premium with such enthusiasm really does highlight the great value for money I know I'm getting from it,

Same here.
...there are four of us on a family plan (and the communal tablet in the kitchen that we all use)

You'll have had the pleasure of at least one years "roundup"; where Spotify goes through your listening and kink shames you for your otherwise suppressed new-romantic tendencies?

It's a bit of an event in our house when it comes out for the year
- and it thinks the guy who lives in our kitchen is an eclectic sod :)

-sd

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » April 15th, 2022, 12:38 pm

I deleted spotify completely after the Joe Rogan thing, can't say I miss it.

xeny
Lemon Slice

Postby xeny » April 16th, 2022, 9:57 am

Lanark wrote:I deleted spotify completely after the Joe Rogan thing, can't say I miss it.

I stopped using it for that reason, but do miss the ability to play music on any Spotify device from the app or the web interface.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » April 16th, 2022, 12:09 pm

Moderator Message:
The OP is looking for A small but good HiFi system?. Please could we stick with that. If you wish to discuss Spotify and its quality please could you do it on a separate thread. Thanks. (I tried to split off the Spotify-related posts here into a new thread but both threads ended up looking like dog's dinners - so gave up.) - Chris

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”