Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

windows 11 demanding password or PIN

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

windows 11 demanding password or PIN

Postby jackdaww » April 14th, 2022, 1:40 pm

i recently aquired a ASUS vivobook laptop with win11.

i have managed to set it up for my simple needs so far.

but win11 does seem more intrusive than win 10 and win 7 .

it has been demanding a sign in hello PIN , which i dont need or want .

i thought i had got around that but its now demanding the microdoft account password .

DAK please if i can get out of these.??

thanks

JD

monabri
Lemon Half

Re: windows 11 demanding password or PIN

Postby monabri » April 14th, 2022, 1:51 pm

I googled:

Go to Start / Settings / Accounts / Sign-in Options.

From here look for the section titled “Windows Hello PIN”. Now you have the option to Remove or Change the PIN.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » April 14th, 2022, 2:05 pm

monabri wrote:I googled:

From here look for the section titled “Windows Hello PIN”. Now you have the option to Remove or Change the PIN.

I did this two days ago. The option to remove the pin will be greyed out.

This link will show you how to get the remove button available.

https://www.minitool.com/news/how-to-re ... ws-11.html

AiY(D)

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » April 14th, 2022, 2:13 pm

======================

thanks

i dont get that screen .

im on win 11 home , maybe its different .

i did manage to stop it demandin PIN butthen it demanded password !

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » April 14th, 2022, 2:19 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:

I did this two days ago. The option to remove the pin will be greyed out.

This link will show you how to get the remove button available.

https://www.minitool.com/news/how-to-re ... ws-11.html

AiY(D)

===================

thanks

still dont get it !!

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » April 14th, 2022, 3:13 pm

jackdaww wrote:i recently aquired a ASUS vivobook laptop with win11.

i thought i had got around that but its now demanding the microdoft account password .

thanks

JD

Would that be Windows 11 Home? When setting up Windows 11 Home out of the box it insists that you must connect to the internet, and that the first account you create must sign in with a Microsoft account. Only 11 Pro will allow you to skip those requirements and set up a PC with a local account initially.

I prefer my Windows machines, 10 or 11, to only use local accounts. Seems you are using a Microsoft account. You can if you like switch to using a local account.

This tutorial will show you how to switch to a local account from a Microsoft account to sign in to Windows 11 with instead.
https://www.elevenforum.com/t/switch-to ... s-11.1219/

It is possible for a local account to have all the benefits of a Microsoft account without actually switching to one.

In this tutorial, you will see how to keep signing in to Windows with a local account, named as you wish, but then associate / integrate it with a Microsoft account. This method keeps your Windows sign-in account and your MSA totally separated, yet giving you 100% same benefits and features than when signing in with an MSA.
https://www.elevenforum.com/t/add-micro ... ws-11.393/

If you are using Windows 11 Home with a local account, then go to Settings > System > Notifications, scroll right down to the bottom, and untick 'Offer suggestions on how I can set up my device'. If it is left on, then sooner or later you'll get a screen 'suggesting' that you switch to a Microsoft account, one that is almost impossible to get past without doing so.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » April 15th, 2022, 12:42 pm

Breelander wrote:
jackdaww wrote:i recently aquired a ASUS vivobook laptop with win11.

thanks

JD

Would that be Windows 11 Home? When setting up Windows 11 Home out of the box it insists that you must connect to the internet, and that the first account you create must sign in with a Microsoft account. Only 11 Pro will allow you to skip those requirements and set up a PC with a local account initially.

I prefer my Windows machines, 10 or 11, to only use local accounts. Seems you are using a Microsoft account. You can if you like switch to using a local account.

This tutorial will show you how to switch to a local account from a Microsoft account to sign in to Windows 11 with instead.
https://www.elevenforum.com/t/switch-to ... s-11.1219/

It is possible for a local account to have all the benefits of a Microsoft account without actually switching to one.

In this tutorial, you will see how to keep signing in to Windows with a local account, named as you wish, but then associate / integrate it with a Microsoft account. This method keeps your Windows sign-in account and your MSA totally separated, yet giving you 100% same benefits and features than when signing in with an MSA.

If you are using Windows 11 Home with a local account, then go to Settings > System > Notifications, scroll right down to the bottom, and untick 'Offer suggestions on how I can set up my device'. If it is left on, then sooner or later you'll get a screen 'suggesting' that you switch to a Microsoft account, one that is almost impossible to get past without doing so.

============================

BRILLIANT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

did this , quite easy , no snags , and it works !!

many thanks to all .

:D :D

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » April 15th, 2022, 5:59 pm

Breelander wrote:It is possible for a local account to have all the benefits of a Microsoft account without actually switching to one.

Is that possible under W10 (Home & Pro) too? I have a local login and have been up to step 4 in the linked article and everything, to that point at least, looks the same, so can one get the "hybrid" account under W10 too?

Having asked that, do I want to? Is what's listed in the article all of the advantages of an MS account?

I have a desktop and a laptop, and I have no desire to sync my account picture (big deal!), colours, or system settings in general.
I don't use Edge.
I don't use OneDrive, and
I don't get the bit about MS Store: I'm sure I've downloaded and installed apps from the store without having to log in (albeit so rarely I could have forgotten, but if so I used an ancient hotmail account and it certainly hasn't inflicted itself on my system).

Is that it? (I seem to remember something about non-OEM licences...)

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » April 15th, 2022, 10:28 pm

mc2fool wrote:Is that possible under W10 (Home & Pro) too? I have a local login and have been up to step 4 in the linked article and everything, to that point at least, looks the same, so can one get the "hybrid" account under W10 too?

Yes, there is no difference between 10 or 11 as far as accounts are concerned. Local, Microsoft or hybrid, they work the same and can be set up the same way in both.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » April 16th, 2022, 1:39 pm

Breelander wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Is that possible under W10 (Home & Pro) too? I have a local login and have been up to step 4 in the linked article and everything, to that point at least, looks the same, so can one get the "hybrid" account under W10 too?

Yes, there is no difference between 10 or 11 as far as accounts are concerned. Local, Microsoft or hybrid, they work the same and can be set up the same way in both.

Ok, thanks, but what about my "Is that it?"? Are there any other "advantages" of the MS account beyond the for-me non-advantages listed?

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”