Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Goodbye to Paypal?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
88V8
Lemon Half

Goodbye to Paypal?

Postby 88V8 » November 8th, 2020, 7:57 pm

For some years Paypal has been my preferred payment method. Whether on eBay or otherwise, fuss=free, it just works.
I have over 2,000 transactions.

But now, logging into my account to check a payment this evening, they've gone totally berserk with 2FA.
Not only the password but two CAPTCHAs and then two security codes -those mixed letter/number things - and THEN they wanted to send me a text code.
Enough, already.

Until they stop this nonsense, Paypal is no pal of mine.

So I made the planned payment with a CC, where there was no additional 'security' at all.

V8 (humph !!!)

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Re: Goodbye to Paypal?

Postby GrahamPlatt » November 8th, 2020, 8:07 pm

Could be a one-off. I was a bit perturbed by another “provider” where I’m usually just required to put in my password & off we go. Suddenly they were wanting 2FA and and my inside leg measurements. Once done though, all returned to normal thereafter. So it could be just a random check.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 8th, 2020, 8:45 pm

I just used PP an hour ago and had none of those problems. Might you have hit some kind of limit that requires extra checks? I had that once.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » November 8th, 2020, 9:02 pm

I had that recently with my UK Paypal account, but I hadn't used it for ages to pay for anything, BUT had recently transferred funds into it. Probably just their software that triggers extra checks after a certain period of not being used.

Steve

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » November 9th, 2020, 12:05 pm

From my experience it sounds like an anomaly or a (hopefully) one-off deep re-validation check. I've used Paypal tens of times in the last few months, most recently on Friday to order a new iPhone from the Apple UK web site, and on all occasions I have only had to enter user name and password. I never keep any funds in my Paypal account, I have it set up to debit from my Amex card.

- Julian

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 9th, 2020, 2:01 pm

One thing to be aware of if an occasional PP user (with a credit balance) is the upcoming annual charge...https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/ ... --act-now/

PayPal is set to introduce an annual fee of up to £12 for users whose accounts have been inactive for a year or more – but you can avoid the charge by logging into your account before the deadline in December.

PayPal defines "inactive" as an account where the user hasn't sent, received or withdrawn money, or logged into their account.
From 16 December 2020, if your account has been inactive for over 12 months, you'll be charged a fee which is the lesser of £12 or your entire PayPal balance. If you don't have any money in your PayPal account, or your balance is negative, PayPal says you won't be charged a fee (even if you have a credit or debit card linked to the account)...
Cont.

Sussexlad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sussexlad » November 9th, 2020, 7:05 pm

I use PP fairly regularly, usually for fairly small sums and they now ask to send a code every time. It's not a big deal for me and if it makes the account more secure, I haven't got a problem with it.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » November 9th, 2020, 7:18 pm

An inactivity fee! They send out a bland email saying they are changing their T&Cs, and you should hunt through a sub-sub-page which buries the information. I'll be closing my account, as I can't trust them not to stiff me now.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 9th, 2020, 7:21 pm

Sussexlad wrote:I use PP fairly regularly, usually for fairly small sums and they now ask to send a code every time. It's not a big deal for me and if it makes the account more secure, I haven't got a problem with it.

Well they don't ask me so obviously different classes of user get different levels of checks.

As an aside one of the great things about Paypal is that you can transfer money out and take it out of your credit card, but it counts as a purchase and not a cash advance. So you get several weeks to pay, with no extra charges or fees, plus any points or miles your card gives you.

tikunetih
Lemon Slice

Postby tikunetih » November 9th, 2020, 7:24 pm

JohnB wrote:An inactivity fee! They send out a bland email saying they are changing their T&Cs, and you should hunt through a sub-sub-page which buries the information. I'll be closing my account, as I can't trust them not to stiff me now.

Emotional knee-jerk reaction.

I read about this "fee" last week and saw that for nearly everyone it falls into the "absolutely nothing to see here" category.

tikunetih
Lemon Slice

Postby tikunetih » November 9th, 2020, 7:26 pm

Lootman wrote:Well they don't ask me so obviously different classes of user get different levels of checks.

Have you enabled 2-factor authentication on your account?

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 9th, 2020, 7:28 pm

tikunetih wrote:
Lootman wrote:Well they don't ask me so obviously different classes of user get different levels of checks.

No. But I did "verify" my account when they requested it a few weeks ago, and that did involve a code to my phone to complete.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » November 9th, 2020, 7:30 pm

Companies that send out T&C emails without mentioning major changes are evil. They know no-one will read them. Their next change could be charging your attached CC every month, and you'd never know until the deed was done.

tikunetih
Lemon Slice

Postby tikunetih » November 9th, 2020, 7:36 pm

Lootman wrote:
tikunetih wrote:

No. But I did "verify" my account when they requested it a few weeks ago, and that did involve a code to my phone to complete.

I would recommend enabling 2FA - indeed, doing so (where it is offered) on any "account" that has any importance to you and is not just a "throwaway/anon account", but particularly on anything financial related:

- Log in to your Paypal account and then select the "cog" icon to enter Account Settings
- Select the "SECURITY" tab
- Select 'Update" alongside 2-step verification and enter device details

Sussexlad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sussexlad » November 9th, 2020, 7:46 pm

Lootman wrote:
Sussexlad wrote:I use PP fairly regularly, usually for fairly small sums and they now ask to send a code every time. It's not a big deal for me and if it makes the account more secure, I haven't got a problem with it.

Well they don't ask me so obviously different classes of user get different levels of checks.

I've just tried a couple of times again and both times they requested both a CAPTCHA check and to send a code, which I agree is over the top. I guess it must be something new.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 9th, 2020, 7:48 pm

Sussexlad wrote:
Lootman wrote:

I've just tried a couple of times again and both times they requested both a CAPTCHA check and to send a code, which I agree is over the top. I guess it must be something new.

It must be very new then as it didn't ask me for that around midnight last night.

tikunetih
Lemon Slice

Postby tikunetih » November 9th, 2020, 7:58 pm

Sussexlad wrote:I've just tried a couple of times again and both times they requested both a CAPTCHA check and to send a code, which I agree is over the top. I guess it must be something new.

FWIW: if it is new, then it's being applied selectively because I've not seen any Captchas with my account, certainly not over recent days/weeks...

NB Captchas and 2FA are aimed at solving different problems, so no reason for their usage to be exclusive.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » November 9th, 2020, 8:53 pm

From 16 December 2020, if your account has been inactive for over 12 months, you'll be charged a fee which is the lesser of £12 or your entire PayPal balance.

Don't some mobile phone companies do the same? i.e. close your account and take whatever credit is left?

I tend to use my Paypal accounts like mini bank accounts and have one connected to just a bank account, and one connected both to a credit card and bank account, so I can choose from where I want the funds taken.

Steve

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 9th, 2020, 8:57 pm

stevensfo wrote:I tend to use my Paypal accounts like mini bank accounts and have one connected to just a bank account, and one connected both to a credit card and bank account, so I can choose from where I want the funds taken.

You do not need separate Paypal accounts to achieve that.

I have just one account but, for any given payment out, I can choose to either debit my bank account or charge my credit card. I am not aware of a limit to how many linked sources of funds you can have to select from. But the bank accounts would require a direct debit arrangement.

Since the credit card is paid off in full each month from the very same bank account, I usually use the credit card to get a fee-free float and any miles.

busyodfool

Postby busyodfool » November 9th, 2020, 9:19 pm

I use Paypal with 2FA and don't have any problem.

I mostly use the Brave browser. This defeats a lot of trackers and ads 'automatically', As a result, I have definitely noticed an increase in the number of times I run into pictorial 'captchas', compared to when I use Chrome. Although it is a tiny bit annoying, I have come to think that this behaviour shows that the Brave browser actually 'does something'; and that this action is a positive sign.

Best wishes.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”