Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Landline issue on fibre network broadband

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Landline issue on fibre network broadband

Postby GrandOiseau » November 13th, 2020, 9:44 am

Been on Vodafone Gigafast superfast fibre broadband a few months.

Yesterday morning the landline stopped getting a dial tone. You can still call in to the landline though it's possible the line may be degraded - one call the person sounded distant and the second couldn't hear the other person speak.

Broadband itself is performing as normal.

The phone is Panasonic KX-TGA810E - we have two and two base sets (DECT).

Wondering if it's most likely to be a fault with the phone given the landline is using the same infrastructure as the internet but then it still takes calls... just not sure where to start really. Obviously I could contact Vodafone, which I probably will do today as it's not righted itself. But wondering if anyone has come across this issue before.

88V8
Lemon Half

Re: Landline issue on fibre network broadband

Postby 88V8 » November 13th, 2020, 9:55 am

Assuming your landline is through Vod, I would certainly call them. If the problem is not with their kit, it's likely with BT, but Vod should have visibility and be able to arrange a fix.

Could also be a fault on your master socket, a quick Google throws up this https://community.bt.com/t5/Archive-Sta ... d-p/938036

V8

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » November 13th, 2020, 10:13 am

The landline is through Vodafone (CityFibre infrastructure) so no BT involvement.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 13th, 2020, 10:29 am

As an A/B do any of your immediate neighbours have the same FTTH infrastructure provider (CityFibre), see if they are having the same issue?
https://www.cityfibre.com/products/fibr ... umer-ftth/

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 13th, 2020, 11:11 am

Are the AAA rechargeable NiMH batteries in the phones okay?

seagles
Lemon Slice

Postby seagles » November 13th, 2020, 11:40 am

Borrow a phone off a neighbour. I have an "old style" phone plugged in just in case I lose power and need to use a "standard" non-electric phone. Mind you it is over 30 years old :twisted:

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » November 13th, 2020, 5:50 pm

FWIW I have the same service (in Milton Keynes if that's where you are) and I have a dial tone. Happy to share additional detail on PM if it's of help.

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » November 16th, 2020, 12:26 pm

Was going to borrow the neighbours phone yesterday but as the weather was nice went for a long walk instead.

However, this morning I was having smart meters installed and consequently everything had to be powered down, including the router. Thought I'd do a cursory check afterwards and lo and behold we have a dial tone so it would appear the router reboot did the trick. Would love to know why but I am sure that thought will pass.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 16th, 2020, 1:00 pm

GrandOiseau wrote:Was going to borrow the neighbours phone yesterday but as the weather was nice went for a long walk instead.

However, this morning I was having smart meters installed and consequently everything had to be powered down, including the router. Thought I'd do a cursory check afterwards and lo and behold we have a dial tone so it would appear the router reboot did the trick. Would love to know why but I am sure that thought will pass.

If you have admin access and can get into the logs you might see something there that corresponds with the issue starting. Maybe there was a firmware update or similar?

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » November 16th, 2020, 10:47 pm

Infrasonic wrote:
GrandOiseau wrote:Was going to borrow the neighbours phone yesterday but as the weather was nice went for a long walk instead.

If you have admin access and can get into the logs you might see something there that corresponds with the issue starting. Maybe there was a firmware update or similar?

I was able to go to the Event Log.

But I had to do a reboot today because of power outage and it showing nothing prior to that.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 16th, 2020, 11:27 pm

GrandOiseau wrote:But I had to do a reboot today because of power outage and it showing nothing prior to that.

Depending on how fancy your router is you might be able to set it up to dump its logs to a usb stick, remote server (cloud), or local PC/NAS for future diagnostics.
Some can even send you email alerts if there's an issue that needs addressing.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”