Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Getting the best from Spotify

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Mike4
Lemon Half

Getting the best from Spotify

Postby Mike4 » November 16th, 2020, 12:26 pm

I've been subscribing to Spotify a long time now but have tended not to listen much, as the sound quality has never seemed as good to my ears as CDs and LPs. But now I've noticed a lot of info posted in the "Small but decent hifi" thread recently by clever people who know about this stuff suggesting otherwise. Much of it over my head. Rather than hijack the small but hifi thread, I thought I'd start a separate one for this subject specifically.

There appears to be two separate aspects. Firstly there is the equipment/hardware needed to grab the Spotify stream, and secondly the settings within Spotify to crank up the sound quality. Before getting into the settings, I think it is best to sort out the hardware.

What equipment might a moderately serious hifi enthusiast use to connect to the Spotify stream? Is the sound gubbins inside an Apple 12" laptop good enough? I'd imagine bluetooth is best avoided and one should use a lead plus adaptor to plug in to the USB-C socket on the lappy and into the hifi aux input at the other. Or are there dedicated Spotify receivers one would be better off buying?

And then there is the wifi connection from the laptop to the BT router. Does using wifi degrade the sound quality at all? Or significantly? Would this imaginary moderate hifi enthusiast* be better off using a Cat 5 (or whatever number it is up to now) cable instead of wifi?

* Me!

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: Getting the best from Spotify

Postby Infrasonic » November 16th, 2020, 1:07 pm

Bluetooth has issues for 'serious' sound, so avoid and use cables wherever possible.

With phones and PC's external DAC's can help quality wise, although Macs/iPhones are generally better there for audio quality.

https://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/hi-fi/best-dacs

https://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/port ... ic-players

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/high-re ... ed-to-know

PhaseThree

Postby PhaseThree » November 16th, 2020, 2:32 pm

Mike4 wrote:I've been subscribing to Spotify a long time now but have tended not to listen much, as the sound quality has never seemed as good to my ears as CDs and LPs. But now I've noticed a lot of info posted in the "Small but decent hifi" thread recently by clever people who know about this stuff suggesting otherwise. Much of it over my head. Rather than hijack the small but hifi thread, I thought I'd start a separate one for this subject specifically.

There appears to be two separate aspects. Firstly there is the equipment/hardware needed to grab the Spotify stream, and secondly the settings within Spotify to crank up the sound quality. Before getting into the settings, I think it is best to sort out the hardware.

What equipment might a moderately serious hifi enthusiast use to connect to the Spotify stream? Is the sound gubbins inside an Apple 12" laptop good enough? I'd imagine bluetooth is best avoided and one should use a lead plus adaptor to plug in to the USB-C socket on the lappy and into the hifi aux input at the other. Or are there dedicated Spotify receivers one would be better off buying?

And then there is the wifi connection from the laptop to the BT router. Does using wifi degrade the sound quality at all? Or significantly? Would this imaginary moderate hifi enthusiast* be better off using a Cat 5 (or whatever number it is up to now) cable instead of wifi?

* Me!

If you use the USB-C connection from the laptop then you need an adaptor to convert from the digital USB to analog inputs for your HiFi. Apple's own headphone adaptor is cheap and supports data rates up to 48KHz @ 24bit which is more than enough for spotify.

If yoy have reasonably good WiFi then this sort of data rate isn't going to stress it in the slightest, however I use wired for all my kit just to avoid issues.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » November 16th, 2020, 3:47 pm

PhaseThree wrote:If you use the USB-C connection from the laptop then you need an adaptor to convert from the digital USB to analog inputs for your HiFi. Apple's own headphone adaptor is cheap and supports data rates up to 48KHz @ 24bit which is more than enough for spotify.

If yoy have reasonably good WiFi then this sort of data rate isn't going to stress it in the slightest, however I use wired for all my kit just to avoid issues.

Thanks.

Now getting a genuine Apple adaptor is not that easy with the Apple shops closed (I imagine). Looking on Amazon none is listed.

Plenty of unheard-of brands on Amazon but none Apple. A quick look on ebay finds quite a few claiming to be Apple but I find my suspicions raised as to whether they really are genuine Apple products, given the absence of them from Amazon.

And annoyingly I can't find the adaptor that came with the lappy. Huh.

PhaseThree

Postby PhaseThree » November 16th, 2020, 4:38 pm

Mike4 wrote:
PhaseThree wrote:If you use the USB-C connection from the laptop then you need an adaptor to convert from the digital USB to analog inputs for your HiFi. Apple's own headphone adaptor is cheap and supports data rates up to 48KHz @ 24bit which is more than enough for spotify.

Thanks.

Now getting a genuine Apple adaptor is not that easy with the Apple shops closed (I imagine). Looking on Amazon none is listed.

Plenty of unheard-of brands on Amazon but none Apple. A quick look on ebay finds quite a few claiming to be Apple but I find my suspicions raised as to whether they really are genuine Apple products, given the absence of them from Amazon.

And annoyingly I can't find the adaptor that came with the lappy. Huh.

I think you can order directly from Apple - £9 with free UK shipping
https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/M ... ck-adapter

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 16th, 2020, 10:42 pm

Mike4 wrote:What equipment might a moderately serious hifi enthusiast use to connect to the Spotify stream? !

Good speakers and a decent amp ;)
- once they're sorted the computer/spotify is just an alternative source

MACs have decent DACs so there's not going to be a need for an external card unless you encounter a problem (e.g. the impedance doesn't work with your amp)
- but you might need to tinker with the volume settings though as it's not a line level

- sd

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » November 17th, 2020, 12:10 am

servodude wrote:
Mike4 wrote:What equipment might a moderately serious hifi enthusiast use to connect to the Spotify stream? !

MACs have decent DACs so there's not going to be a need for an external card unless you encounter a problem (e.g. the impedance doesn't work with your amp)
- but you might need to tinker with the volume settings though as it's not a line level

- sd

Excellent, thanks!

I have Quad 22 valve amps, Quad 304 control amp and Tannoy Lancaster 15" Dual Concentrics. Historically, Spotify as an alternative source has been deeply disappointing compared to my LPs played on my Garrard 401 with SME pickup arm (pops ansd scratches excepted). But I haven't experimented with Spotify for hifi for about ten years having abandoned it and used it in the interim mainly for listening in the van, so posts on here about the high quality now available with Spotify piqued my interest.

I've ordered the adaptor from Apple using the link posted by PhaseThree (thank you P3!), and when I eventually get it set up and working I'll be comparing the Spotify stream quality via my Apple lappy with the same music I already own in LP format. Watch this space!

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 17th, 2020, 1:12 am

Mike4 wrote:
servodude wrote:

- sd

Excellent, thanks!

I have Quad 22 valve amps, Quad 304 control amp and Tannoy Lancaster 15" Dual Concentrics. Historically, Spotify as an alternative source has been deeply disappointing compared to my LPs played on my Garrard 401 with SME pickup arm (pops ansd scratches excepted). But I haven't experimented with Spotify for hifi for about ten years having abandoned it and used it in the interim mainly for listening in the van, so posts on here about the high quality now available with Spotify piqued my interest.

I've ordered the adaptor from Apple using the link posted by PhaseThree (thank you P3!), and when I eventually get it set up and working I'll be comparing the Spotify stream quality via my Apple lappy with the same music I already own in LP format. Watch this space!

well that's that part more than covered!
- spruced up some Quad ii amps for a mate recently - really nice bits of kit :)

- sd

LabrandoT

Postby LabrandoT » January 4th, 2024, 10:17 am

I think that using a direct USB-C to hifi aux input is a solid choice. It keeps things crisp and clear. Now, the wifi vs. cable debate!

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » January 4th, 2024, 12:39 pm

What kit are you using now or are you thinking of something better.

Tidal is probably better for hi res streaming.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » January 4th, 2024, 1:33 pm

Even though this thread is from 2020 this might be of use...
https://www.whathifi.com/advice/spotify ... atest-news

September 22, 2023

Spotify HiFi: release date news, price prediction, quality, and latest rumours

The lowdown on Spotify's delayed CD-quality audio tier... only two years (and counting) late...
Cont.

There's also some high end wired/Wi-Fi headphones coming to market now - so the limited bandwidth of Bluetooth will get addressed for those that want 24 Bit+/96K+ streams. :)

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » January 4th, 2024, 5:12 pm

Delete your Spotify account and sign up for Apple Music or Tidal, or just about any of the other streaming services, they are almost all better than old Spotify at this point.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 4th, 2024, 6:19 pm

Lanark wrote:Delete your Spotify account and sign up for Apple Music or Tidal, or just about any of the other streaming services, they are almost all better than old Spotify at this point.

I was just singing the praises of Spotify and it's audiobook expansion a minute ago to my elder wean.
I suppose I don't use it for hi-fi situations (Fiio player and SE-535 when that's needed) but I've been using it for so long now that the algorithm is properly trained for my usage
- can you take that with you if you go elsewhere?
(.... there's 4 people and my kitchen on the account)

-sd

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”